Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

 Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.



(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Unusually nasty sting reaction

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> URGENT Help needed now!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bildom
House Bee


Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 13
Location: Goshen, CT, USA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Unusually nasty sting reaction Reply with quote

I set my brother up with a TBH earlier this season from a split from one of mine and introduced a queen which I bought from a local reputable beekeeper. He and his wife both have gotten stung and got severe reactions needing medical help. I also had an unusually nasty reaction from a sting from that hive. Reactions from stings from other hives don't have anywhere near the effect. Any thoughts on the cause? Should I re-queen? Worried that it might have dire consequences for someone who is typically allergic. Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
catchercradle
Golden Bee


Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 1495
Location: Cambridge, UK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting,

A friend who has to carry an Epipen around thinks different reactions depend o what the bees are foraging on. Don't know of any evidence for this.

I had my first bad reaction just over a week ago - tongue started swelling so I now have one as well, as does someone else I know who a week earlier had to go to hospital after being stung. I am lucky in that the hospital 5 minutes cycle ride away from where I live has a desensitisation clinic that I will go to if I keep having bad reactions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beeblebrox
Guard Bee


Joined: 25 Sep 2010
Posts: 64
Location: UK - north Oxfordshire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Unusually nasty sting reaction Reply with quote

See your doctor who can refer you to a specialist.

My wife began getting worse reactions to stings and eventually I had one too. Saw doctor. Referred to allergy clinic. They did a skin-scrape test which showed no reaction to e.g. wasp venom but increased reaction to bee venom. This took maybe an hour. Proceeded to more sophisticated test - checking blood sample for reaction - had to wait for results. Was told that everyone has a small chance of a bad reaction, ours was increasing.

At this point my understanding may be wrong but if I recall correctly, the allergy clinic explained that it's not the venom itself I am allergic to but something my own immune system makes in response to the venom. So even a small sting means I make this stuff, which my own body then reacts to and a runaway reaction occurs and you have a risk of things swelling, you choke to death etc.

So now I go to a "venom clinic" every few weeks where they inject me with bee venom to train my immune system not to panic when it enters my bloodstream. They watch me closely for an hour then I can go home. (I've seen a couple of other patients have bad reactions in this hour, at which point things get exciting.) After about 18 months of this - it is a five year course - two things have happened. One, my reaction to bee venom has gone right down, I hardly notice it. Secondly, I've become a better beekeeper and don't aggravate them nearly as much, so I think I only got stung once last season.

Here in the UK the medical treatment is free. You're in the States, so it may not be an option for you. I think if I were paying for it it might cost as much as $30k over the 5 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John
Scout Bee


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 270
Location: England / London & Kent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Causes of hypersensitivity Reply with quote

Human hypersensitivity to insect stings is triggered by an antibody called Immunoglobulin E, (IgE), which binds to mast cells in the body tissues. When IgE specific to bee venom reacts on the surface of the mast cell it degranulates (bursts) and releases toxic inflammatory biochemicals like histamine. Its a bit like a biochemical suicide bomber. A strong IgE response in the lungs, cirulatory system or around the throat is very dangerous causing low blood pressure, difficulty breathing and general shock reaction.

The good guys are the Immunoglobulin G, (IgG antibodies), which react with and neutralise bee venom in the blood stream before it can cause an IgE hypersensitivity. Stings are usually a good way of getting solid IgG protection provided the process of developing an IgE immunity has not already completed.

IgG immunity develops to injected venoms or during systemic infections but IgE immunities, like hayfever and anaphylactic responses to venoms, can be primed by breathing in small quantities of pollen or venom respectively. I think this is why close family of beekeepers, exposed to low levels of venom from a beekeeper's clothing, but not actually getting stung, are often the ones who develop hypersensitivity.

My bees have kindly supplied me with a solid immunity to bee venom over the years and I hope family and friends never develop allergic reactions; life would be so dull without bees.

John
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
worrywort
House Bee


Joined: 26 Dec 2009
Posts: 24
Location: UK, Kent, Gravesend

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: swelling Reply with quote

When i took up beekeeping, my first sting on the back of my hand gave me a forearm like Popeye. a couple of days later when visiting a friend in hospital, a nurse sat me down, examined it, asked how and when and told me to keep away from bees forever.

I take a piriton tablet (anthistamine) half hour before going to apiary for 15 years since and sting no worse than a gnat bite. worth a try?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> URGENT Help needed now! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

SPECIAL OFFER FOR UK FORUM MEMBERS - Buy your protective clothing here and get a special 15% discount! (use the code BAREFOOTBEEKEEPER at checkout and be sure to 'update basket')



Are the big energy companies bleeding you dry?


Is way too much of your hard-earned family income going up in smoke?

Are you worried about what could happen if the ageing grid system fails?

You need to watch this short video NOW to find out how YOU can cut your energy bills TO THE BONE within 30 days!

WATCH THE VIDEO NOW



(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)

Conserving wild bees

Research suggests that bumble bee boxes have a very low success rate in actually attracting bees into them. We find that if you create an environment where first of all you can attract mice inside, such as a pile of stones, a drystone wall, paving slabs with intentionally made cavities underneath, this will increase the success rate.

Most bumble bee species need a dry space about the size a football, with a narrow entrance tunnel approximately 2cm in diameter and 20 cm long. Most species nest underground along the base of a linear feature such as a hedge or wall. Sites need to be sheltered and out of direct sunlight.

There is a spectacular display of wild bee hotels here

More about bumblebees and solitary bees here

Information about the Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum)

Barefoot Beekeeper Podcast



Now available from Lulu.com


Now available from Lulu.com


Now available from Lulu.com


4th Edition paperback now available from Lulu.com

See beekeeping books for details and links to ebook versions.
site map
php. BB © 2001, 2005 php. BB Group

View topic - Unusually nasty sting reaction - Natural Beekeeping Network Forum