Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
a nestbox 4 bees

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> TV, Video, Blogs and Other Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imkeer
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: a nestbox 4 bees Reply with quote

I make some kind of imitation tree cavities, and name them "nestbox 4 bees". I had succes with one of them, receiving a swarm. Very Happy No one knows when the swarm arrived but it must have been a while ago, the box is quite full !
http://youtu.be/OfAWkFG14Qg

Luc (BE)
imkeer
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also made pictures of course:

The last photo is to show that this is not only bee-friendly, but also tree-friendly...

Luc (BE)
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, Luc!
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? No removable frames? Ten foot up a tree? Doesn't look very inspectable to me BioBee. The men from the ministry won't like that and so we won't be having any of those over here in the UK than you very much.

Just joking, for the benefit of our European friends who might not get my puerile English sarcasm.

Cool looking nest box. Nice work.
andy pearce
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Nice work.I really like that!

Firstly, did you decide on a specific volume for the box? Some people think Thomas Seeley's 40 litres is an optimum size (I met someone with a similar nest box recently but had not come up with a tree friendly attachment plan)... and secondly will you keep us informed of how this and the others you have up do over time.
A
imkeer
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No removable frames?
Indeed, I have nestboxes like this that even don't have a snoop-door at the bottom.
They fit in my plan to crowd the area with as-natural-as-possible bees. I aim to have half of the colonies in nestboxes, the other half in warré hives.

Quote:
The men from the ministry won't like that
In Belgium, there is almost no control. I think that beekeepers only get a visit from an inspector if they sell honey. The inspector collects samples of this honey and that's it. I once had an inspector visiting and she left when I said I have no honey to sell. Legally, we have to report diseases like foulbrood, that's about it. You may think this system has advantages only, but like this it's impossible for me to find areas where there are no other (treating) beekeepers around...

Quote:
Firstly, did you decide on a specific volume for the box?
The volume is about 44 liter.

Quote:
keep us informed
Thank you, I will.

Luc (BE)
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how is the colony doing? In the pictures it seems they ran out of stores, since they stopped drawing comb in the midst of the box. You see the sharp edges of the lower part of the comb. If they had enough food, they'd finish that box and would have rounden the bottom of the comb.

Is the colony still alive?
imkeer
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if this colony is still alive. It's quite far from where I live now. I'll check it next time I'm near...

Bernhard is right: the combs were not finished at the end of august, when I took the photos. But the middle (where they are the longest) was reaching down until about 4 cm. from the bottom, not until the middle of the box. Maybe that's not so clear because of the angle the pictures were taken?

luc
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luc,

the bottom of those combs would be flat if they'd be finished. And would reach right down to the bottom. So something made them stop. And most likely that is a missing nectar crop. Just guessing but to me such a sight from the bottom makes me worrying! I worry a lot, though. Rolling Eyes

Bernhard
imkeer
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I worry also... thanks Z Wink

I've been thinking about a way to emergency feed this colony if needs be. (To prepare in advance for anything.) Because it's (sort of) wintering now, a bottom feeder with sugar syrup or honey wouldn't work I guess. The "hive" can not be opened from the top.

I could stick a pack of sugar patty in through the bottom. Maybe on warm days bees can go down from the cluster and reach it? Any other possibilities?

luc
imkeer
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to say that the colony in the nestbox4bees survived the winter. If we call this last months winter and if it's finished that is.
Very Happy
I have been there the evening of a nice warm day, and I wanted to open the bottom. I could hear the bees' humm while I was trying to open the bolt, but than a bee came to tell me opening it wasn't necessary. I could hear they were doing good so I left it closed...

luc p. (BE)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> TV, Video, Blogs and Other Media All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

SPECIAL OFFER FOR UK FORUM MEMBERS - Buy your protective clothing here and get a special 15% discount! (use the code BAREFOOTBEEKEEPER at checkout and be sure to 'update basket')

Are the big energy companies bleeding you dry?

Is way too much of your hard-earned family income going up in smoke?

Are you worried about what could happen if the ageing grid system fails?

You need to watch this short video NOW to find out how YOU can cut your energy bills TO THE BONE within 30 days!

WATCH THE VIDEO NOW

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)

Conserving wild bees

Research suggests that bumble bee boxes have a very low success rate in actually attracting bees into them. We find that if you create an environment where first of all you can attract mice inside, such as a pile of stones, a drystone wall, paving slabs with intentionally made cavities underneath, this will increase the success rate.

Most bumble bee species need a dry space about the size a football, with a narrow entrance tunnel approximately 2cm in diameter and 20 cm long. Most species nest underground along the base of a linear feature such as a hedge or wall. Sites need to be sheltered and out of direct sunlight.

There is a spectacular display of wild bee hotels here

More about bumblebees and solitary bees here

Information about the Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum)

Barefoot Beekeeper Podcast

Now available from Lulu.com

4th Edition paperback now available from Lulu.com

See beekeeping books for details and links to ebook versions.
site map
php. BB © 2001, 2005 php. BB Group

View topic - a nestbox 4 bees - Natural Beekeeping Network Forum