Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
My distractions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WileyHunter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: My distractions... Reply with quote

Are many, but here's my latest that has delayed my hive building (which seems to be fine, as we're expecting snow again tonight/tomorrow). My kids each have a hen, that is presently being "boarded" at a friends farm. They have gotten permission from the landlord, to have them here at the house, so we got busy building them a home.

And check it out! The coop is made of repurposed pallets so far, will be using some recycled 1"x6" boards for the floor, may have to buy a bit of wood for the roof. The outdoor pen and also the tractor will be made from new 2" x 2" stock, wrapped in 1" hex chicken wire.

I figure when it's all said and done, they'll need to lay an egg a day each, for three years to break even, and that won't include the feed bill...
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got back into keeping chickens again after a few years off.... foxes picked them off last time whilst they were free ranging. Like you, my hive construction has been put on hold as a result of work on the hen ark. Unfortunately having started with 3 (2 hens and a cockerel) which was a reasonable number to keep in a mobile ark, something called "Chicken maths" has taken hold and the numbers have steadily increased to 15 in a matter of 2 months.... not that they have raised chicks or anything, just that it is addictive and people have given me some as presents when they have seen how much I am loving keeping them. I now have ones that lay white eggs, some that lay various shades of brown eggs and some that lay blue/green eggs and one that lays tiny cream coloured eggs. Of course they all have names and whilst the hen ark was under construction they have been allowed to free range and roost in a spare stable at night, so none of them now want to go in the hen ark, which has been so lovingly built for them. I hope you and your children get as much pleasure from yours as I am from mine. The eggs are a bonus but as you have realised, it is certainly not an economical project, even using recycled materials wherever possible.

Best wishes

Barbara
WileyHunter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids are keeping the hens as part of their 4H "career", and are even planning to make them into Therapy Birds where they will take them on visits to local nursing homes. One is a Bantam Golden Sebright, the other a Buff-? will try to determine when she gets home.

I'd love to have the number of chickens my buddy has, he is sitting with around 50 birds right now. Good variety, mostly layers. In a few weeks he will be adding this years meat pens and turkeys.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is 4H?
I've heard it referred to on another forum in relation to horses.
WileyHunter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youth organization, originally formed around farming/agricultural activities but now has "high tech" categories. The kids pick projects to work on for the year (mine are in poultry, photography, wildlife management, shooting sports, etc...) come July they will take their projects to our County Fair for competition, if they do really well, they can be selected to compete at the State level. Last year both kids cleaned house earning all blue ribbons, and taking Grand Champion and Reserve Champion in Shooting Sports! The fair is really enjoyable, and becomes a big social event for all, although it's also a big sales push for Ag Equipment with demo units displayed all over the fairgrounds.
Wildflower_VA
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
What is 4H?
I've heard it referred to on another forum in relation to horses.

The four H's are on a four-leaf clover and stand for "head-heart-hand-health." Wonderful organization!

4-H Pledge

I pledge my head to clearer thinking,
My heart to greater loyalty,
My hands to larger service,
and my health to better living,
for my club, my community, my country, and my world.

The 4-H Creed for Members
I believe in 4-H club work for the opportunity it will give me to become a useful citizen.
I believe in the training of my HEAD for the power it will give me to think, to plan, and to reason.
I believe in the training of my HEART for the nobleness it will give me to become kind, sympathetic, and true.
I believe in the training of my HANDS for the ability it will give me to be helpful, useful, and skillful.
I believe in the training of my HEALTH for the strength it will give me to enjoy life, to resist disease, and to work efficiently.
I believe in my country, my state, and my community, and in my responsibility for their development.

-
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That's an impressive organisation and creed.
Wish we had it here and throughout the world for that matter. I suppose we have the Duke of Edinburgh awards for young people in the UK, but I'm not sure it's as extensive or as well defined as your 4H. It does sound wonderful.
Many thanks for elaborating.

Regards

Barbara
WileyHunter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so 'most' of my distractions are under control now... Got the hens home finished, and they are super happy! They spend a few hours every afternoon on a supervised freerange, until the kids finish their tractor. We get two eggs a day from them, which as one is a banty I tease my son that hers counts as only half.

Got the garden caught up, seeds planted outside for spring crops, such as spinach, carrots, lettuce, etc... Got my indoor starts going, and even transplanted some to larger pots already. I'm loving the soil blend recipe I found.

My family's farm "pond" (2 acres) has been over flowing, and despite my dad's attempts to repair it, he didn't get done in time and we may be on the verge of a huge disaster. He decided that while I was up to my nose in other projects it was a good time to try to catch up with the run off... I spent one afternoon up to my waist in just over freezing temps, i should try the polar bear club some year...

So I have finally managed to get some work done on the hive. I joined the sides together, as well as the end boards and one follower.

Close up of the splicing, using the Kregs jig. I did several from each direction, on each side for strength.

Waiting on the (unnecessary) glue to dry...
WileyHunter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually looking more lie a hive today! Still have some serious work to do, but then again, I still need to nail down some decisions. Like their door... End or side, top or bottom, inside or outside periscope. Roof... Flat or peaked, metal or wood shingled. I did decide on a cross between mesh bottom and the "newer" trough style with shavings. Wish I could find a supplier for earwigs, all I can find is how to kill them Mad .

Lizbee
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Shavings Reply with quote

Hi Wiley Hunter

Hive looks great Smile

Regarding the new floor, I have found that the shavings are cut up and removed by the bees so have heard wood chips are better once they have been left to stand for a period of time. Sorry I can not remember how long, it is something to do with a gas they give off when freshly cut.

My bees have dug them out and built the comb down into the deep floor part of the hives.

Regards

Liz
WileyHunter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Liz. I actually came across some expanded grating, similar in size to small hardware fencing, i was going to use it in conjunction with the deep bed to 'try' to keep the gals from removing the shavings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Photo gallery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: