Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Pesticides used on our farm land

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Environmental issues, GM, pesticides and campaigning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Pesticides used on our farm land Reply with quote

As some of you know my wife and I bought a farm in Denmark. The previous owner allowed the local conventional farmer to use it for little compensation.

I met with the farmer and asked him to give me the list of pesticides used for the last 3 years and this is what I've got from him;

Command
Stomp (BASF)
Agril
Fastac (BASF)
EXPRESSE
Briotrill (Bayer)
Folicor (Bayer)
Confused Crying or Very sad

What do you know about these pesticides? Any info appreciated. Thank you
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without looking them up, I know nothing about those, but I was prompted by a friend this morning to look into the possibility of using plants to remove toxins from soil.

This may be a place to start - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytoremediation
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some of those, write more tomorrow.
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pesticides used on our farm land Reply with quote

Stomp (BASF)
Herbicide. Active ingredient: Pendimethalin The drug inhibits cell division and cell elongation processes in some plants.

Agil-S(?)
Herbicide. Active ingredient: Propaquizafop.

Fastac (BASF)
Insecticide. Active ingredient: alpha-Cypermethrin. If the bees get into direct contact to it, they die off quickly. So if this is sprayed onto blossoming crops like canola, you'll get some damage. The damage is much worse if this stuff is mixed with fungicides! This stuff should be sprayed in the late evening after most bees have returned to the hive to avoid unnecessary losses. It will leak into the honey of course one way or the other.

EXPRESSE (Laudis Expresse?)
Contains a herbicide.

Folicur (Bayer, also sold by Syngenta)
Fungicide. Active ingredient: Tebuconazol.
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info.
He sprayed Fastac in 2013 September on Canola.
I wonder if these pesticides get broken down in the soil fast or do they sit in there like Neonics do?

This year he has Wheat and I asked him not to spray which he respects but this field of mine is not the only one around here Sad So much Canola this year! Itsin full bloom now so I hope they dont spray it now.
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fastac is water based, so most probably washes out after some time. Fastac is a pyrethroid. Fungicides make it more sticky and resident on the plants. Also the repellent effect of Fastac is lowered by the mixture with fungicides. Usually they do mix it with fungicides when spraying in the full bloom!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethroid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cypermethrin

I have some farmers near me who use Fastac, too. The (visible) effects on bees are low if not sprayed during daylight. I talked to the farmers and they do spray at nighttime or late evening. Which helps a little but it is way better than spray during daylight.

You better ask for the seed coating that has been used. I talked to 14 farmers growing canola near my apiaries. None of them actually knew what kind of seed coating has been used. All of them had the neonic Clothiandin as seed coating for their canola. One farmer has heared of it, all the others did not know nothing about Clothiandin. They also did not know about the systemic action of this stuff. Rolling Eyes They were told, the effect of the seed coating is just for three weeks. Which is why they have to spray when the blossoming starts and another time in full bloom.

There is lot of misinformation out there. The best is to start talking to the farmers. Don't preach, just inform yourself and give some feedback. Slow progress is better than no progress.
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I asked my farmer what does he use and he didnt know any pesticde names. He does write it in his diary. He said it was sold to him as a package with the seeds so he never questioned it Rolling Eyes
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds familiar to me... Confused
WileyHunter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Che Guebuddha wrote:
...He said it was sold to him as a package with the seeds so he never questioned it Rolling Eyes

I think many farmers fell for the same... I think we will see more and more of them question their trust in the salesmen that led them along.
catchercradle
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misinformation about gm etc is even worse in India, Listening to the radio the other morning there was a programme detailing how the Times of India has, "paid news." This included an article about how cotton farmers were getting rich with BT cotton. The same article was later reprinted as an advert. Needless to say the claims made were not realised by the farmers who fell for it.
Vallee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: 624 pesticide traces in rural young Reply with quote

Children in agricultural areas are being exposed to a dangerous cocktail of pesticides, some of which are banned substances, the French environment group Génération Futures claimed.
Group analysed the hair of children aged between 3 and 10 living or studying near farms and vineyards (no more than 200 metres away) after parents expressed worries about exposure to poisons that could disrupt their endocrine systems. (Report in Guardian International April 30th 2014.)

Our on-going joke, which now seems a bit poignant, is that farmers having been exposed to so many pesticides over the years become crazy undertaking activities that are wrecking the environment.

Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met the local farmers wife in the shop and she was there with her kid. I said hi and she replied but with very little interest to continue talking to me Rolling Eyes He must have told her about me asking too many questions about his pesticide-use habit.

My wife and I cant get kids but we do think of all the kids exposed to poisons. What I cant understand is people with kids not being able to see the threat and keep exposing their kids to pesticides through food or through their immediate environment Crying or Very sad
WileyHunter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Che - I worked at a small airport many years ago, and used to fuel the local crop duster. He'd tell me of farms that all the kids (from the farmers family) would run right out to the edge of the field when he came to spray. I can still smell the nasty chemicals he used to carry, some would burn my nose and throat. I think mainly he carried Roundup, but I know one he sprayed right at harvest season was a defoliator to make it easier for the field workers to see the chiles.
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes you wonder if our governments are all psychopats allowing folk to spread poison all over the world ... Sad It is obvious that farmers dont even know what they are spraying. They know whats it for but have no idea what the active ingredience is.

Denmark has got a minister now who wants Denmark to be all organic and pesticide free. Lets see if he can make the change. He sure has the money and power to make it true. But we cant wait for them to fix the problem since many depend on the tax money from pesticide companies.

It seems we need total paradigm shift where benefit for natural world is placed before the profit orientated mind!
Georgehood
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Farmers may know very well for any information related to pesticides.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Environmental issues, GM, pesticides and campaigning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: