Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Feeding a weak colony: is 3% organic corn starch a problem ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mauinubee
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Feeding a weak colony: is 3% organic corn starch a problem ? Reply with quote

Aloha all,
My colony is having a very slow time building up as the weather has been rainy and windy for almost 2 months.
I started feeding 2 days ago 250 ml of sugar water which they emptied overnight,
yesterday I fed them 500 ml and plan to continue until they are foraging and no longer want food.

My question is: I bought a 1 pound bag of white organic powdered sugar which contains 3% organic corn starch.
Is this ok ?

thanks in advance
dean
http://beesinhaiku.wordpress.com/
link to my un-updated blog
Houstonbees
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean,
Would be better to use plain sugar if you can get it instead of powdered sugar with corn starch. Not certain why you used powdered sugar, might be all you had available. Think of it, bees do not collect corn starch in natural feral colonies. Mix the sugar with water at 1 to 1 ratio by WEIGHT, not volume, heat gently in a pot to get it to dissolve. Add a couple of drops of lemon juice and mix it in while the syrup cools. Bees are attracted to the scent of lemon.
Best of luck,
Gunther
mauinubee
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: feeding sugar with corn starch Reply with quote

Thanks Gunther for your suggestion.
yes, the powdered sugar with corn starch was all I could find at the moment. i'll save it for a cake, and get the right sugar for my bees.
mahalo
dean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> URGENT Help needed now! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: