Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
One of my two new hives is struggling very bad.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: One of my two new hives is struggling very bad. Reply with quote

on 4/21 I installed my two new Beehives. It was the first time I installed bees. I was kind of nervus but I did it.
One thing I did different and that was my mistake or because I didn't know better. So forgive me.
The one that is not doing so well and is just clustered on one comb so far, is where i openend the wrong plug side. So the queen was able to get out right away. I know they say that they need time to get used to the queen that is why they let them chew through the candy. i understand but on the other hand they have been around that queen for quite a while in the original package.
I didn't know there where two sides to open.
Any way they are not doing well while the other is already on its 7th comb.
What cann I do??? help
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like perhaps they didn't accept the queen and killed her.

You could steal a bar of comb from the other colony with eggs on and put it in the struggling hive and see if they make an emergency queen cell.
I have no experience of packages so can't comment on how likely it is that your accidental direct release was the cause. Can you be sure that when you removed the wrong cork, the queen didn't drop on the ground outside the hive or even get squashed/damaged during the installation?

Don't beat yourself up about it. Unfortunately with bee keeping, as with many things in life, you learn most from your mistakes. We have all made them, so welcome to the club. Use the experience to see how bees can raise a new queen.
Be very gentle when handling the comb you transfer as it will be very new and fragile. Remove as many bees from it as you can before you transfer it to the weak hive. You should see them taking in pollen to feed the young brood quite quickly and within a few days you should see a queen cell being made.

Good luck

Barbara
PS. I assume you are feeding both colonies?
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:37 pm    Post subject: My new Bee hives Reply with quote

yes I am feeding them both. I just feel bad that of maybe my mistake that they suffer now. Unfortunately the beehives are different sizes in bar width.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean bar length rather than width?
If the hive with the shorter bars has a queen, screw the longer length bar to the top of the bar with eggs on it and transfer so that the bar and comb sit inside the weak hive. If it is longer, just leave some overhanging or saw the end off.
Having standardized hives of the same dimensions is one of the first things that people tell you as a beekeeper because it makes life so much easier and you disregard it at your peril! Shocked

Don't dwell on what you have done wrong, focus on how to put it right. This will not be the last mistake you make, believe me, so learn from it and fix it.
All mistakes we make in beekeeping cause bees problems to a greater or lesser extent. I can look back on some that were fatal for the colony and it hurts but I have to put that experience to good use and make sure I don't make that mistake again and hopefully prevent other people from making similar mistakes via the likes of this forum.

Put your problem solving head on and figure out how to do it and if you can't, then buy a new queen and make sure you remove the correct plug this time or combine the two colonies and hope that they throw a swarm later in the season to repopulate your empty hive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> URGENT Help needed now! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: