Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
how tightly fitting should my roof be?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhyah13
New Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: how tightly fitting should my roof be? Reply with quote

Hi! sorry if this is a silly question. I just installed my first colony today and noticed that a lot of the bees were hanging out on top of the top bars. My roof is very tight fitting and my concern was that some of the bees will get trapped in between the top bars and the roof or crushed when putting the roof back on. right now I have it propped open, but my worry now is that they will build comb inside the roof. should my roof have a very tight seal? if so, how do I keep the bees out of that space? Should I just be brushing them off our should there be a gap for them to escape?
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you follow my design, there is a gap deliberately left on either side, so that bars will not be dislodged when removing and replacing the roof. So no, it should not be a tight fit.

Also, I recommend a gabled roof, so you have space to add insulation and a feeder, if needed.
rhyah13
New Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did use your design, but I'm not sure if my husband deviated at all. It isnt tight on the top bars, or even touching them. It's just tight around the box. Doe that gap allow for the bees to escape if they get trapped under the roof? If not, How do I keep them out of there?
rhyah13
New Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if that was clear... I was having trouble getti.g them to go down into the hive and a lot of them ended up on top of the top bars. The roof is indeed gabled.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gap allows bees in and out of the roof space. If you have all your bars pushed tight together, they would normally show little or no interest in going in there. In any case, you should keep some insulation on top of the bars at all times.
Fuzzy Bear
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note in the winter the wood tends to expand as it draws in moisture so its best to have a slightly loose fit otherwise it can get stuck on! I usually have about a 10-15mm gap on the length. But either side of the top bars I have about a 20mm gap so as not knock them when replacing roof and also allows for bees to escape and air to circulate a bit in case of hot weather.
R Payne
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wood does expand (and contract) with changes in humidity, however whether this happens in winter or some other season depends on where in the world you are. Here in the central U.S. the humid season is spring and summer and wood contracts in winter.

ron
jfeist1968
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: mind the gap Reply with quote

How much of a gap is okay between the roof gables and the bar ends? Is a few inches a problem?

--Jonathan
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: mind the gap Reply with quote

jfeist1968 wrote:
How much of a gap is okay between the roof gables and the bar ends? Is a few inches a problem?

Only a problem if the wind can blow up through the roof area - but why would you want such a large gap?
jfeist1968
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that I "want" such a gap, it's just that's how my cover wound up being, as I muddled through constructing it. I'll close it in a bit, just to make sure. It looked suspicious to me. Thanks for the reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: