Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
rainy weather

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeeGuardian
New Bee

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: rainy weather Reply with quote

We are new to bee keeping... we received a package five days ago... and mostly the weather has been cool, with rain. I do see bees leaving the hive when it is raining outside. There are not a lot - but they do seem to still leave, circle a bit - then dart off in one direction or the other. My question, could these just be cleansing flights? How far would they range to do their business when it is raining outside?
rmcpb
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say rain do you mean rain or just a soft shower. If the latter then the bees will keep going till the nectar gets too diluted to be worth the effort. they are pretty tough little creatures.

Cheers
Rob.
Garret
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you feeding them sugar syrup? If it is rainy and not many bees are foraging they need the syrup for wax production so they can build their combs.
BeeGuardian
New Bee

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am feeding them a 1:1 syrup mixture for wax building.

The rain is anywhere to drizzle, soft shower and torrential downpour. Although we have not seen bees out in the torrential downpours - we have seen them out (a few dozen at a time) during the soft showers (which surprised us).

We were just curious as to whether they are out foraging... or were they just taking cleansing flights. And what is the distance they would go to 'cleanse'. They circle about and take off, disappearing out of the yard (about 40' or so).
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My bees will fly through all but the very heaviest summer downpours, as long as the temperature is above 10C.

Your bees are most likely foraging at that distance. Judging by the poop on my washing when I hang it out and car etc they tend to relieve themselves within the 40ft distance. I had one come out of the hive and poop on me as I was watching them last year, cheeky little blighter!
The initial circling is for orientation, just to remind themselves what home looks like before they head off. Keep an eye out for pollen going in very soon if not already.

Regards

Barbara
BeeGuardian
New Bee

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... on the 'warmer' days - and we've had a few... there has been some pollen going in. Very Happy It's good to know they are tough little beasties - and true 'Oregonians' - loving the rain, and all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: