Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
1st top bar hive at crisis point

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevezm
New Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: 1st top bar hive at crisis point Reply with quote

Further to my previous post, i checked after a few days of the queen being released, to find her dead in the bottom of the hive with other workers.

i purchased another queen for the bee supplier and introduced her, but the original bees have been dying off, to the point that there are probably only a couple of hundred left, is this beacuse of them being old, and with the delay in the queens laying eggs, the new queen is fine and i noticed eggs yesterday.

Will they be able to build up over the summer or is this colony a lost cause, due to the low level of workers in the hive.

can i introduce a swam if i can get one, will this be possible or will i have to put them the end of the TBH not being used, and get them to hopefully build back towards the middle where the original package were building.

Any advise would be greatly recieved, and if i can house a swarm and if anyone has one they need a home for near southeast london that would be great.

Regards

Steve
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firstly I'd say, add your location to your profile, as south east covers a big area, you may find someone on your doorstep, if you now have eggs then as long as there's bees to care for them, your in with a chance of these surviving be it a small colony, yes if you caught a swarm you could do a paper marriage, but you would need to find the queen first and kill her, Id be more inclined to add at the opposite end with a solid divider, and see which one becomes the stronger, and yet more docile bee, then if one side looks too small in size, do a marriage, remember you could always pinch stores from the stronger for the weaker and keep two colonies
stevezm
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hello All

well what a difference a month makes, since my last post on here i joined the London Beekeepers face book page and posted my issue on there.
Following this post one of the members Thomas, advised that he was down sizing his bee hives, and offered to give me some of the top bars, i collected 8 top bars of bees brood and eggs about 4 weeks ago, and installed them into My top bar hive, which the package colony did not survive in.

before installing them i scorched the inside of the hive to be on the safe side, they then got to work building queen cells, and drawing out more combs on top bars.

i am due to do a check at the weekend to check for a queen and hopefully she will be there and has started laying.

last week while at work one of the local beekeepers that helps some of our residents (i manage a housing estate in London) picked up a prime swarm, which i collected from him, and have installed in the 10 bar nuc i built to collect the donated bees in, they are doing well and are drawing out comb, so i am now building my second TBH and will install the new bees, (and i thought beekeeping was a relaxing pastime . Smile hopefully now they will build enough brood comb and have enough stores to see them through the winter, which do not seem to be that bad in london compared to other parts of england.

regards Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: