Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Primary Swarm into a Perone in Arizona US

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viggen
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Primary Swarm into a Perone in Arizona US Reply with quote

While sipping my coffee at 7 am and going over some early morning business email one of my sons says, from the garden, " Dad, get out here, now". Usually the tone is a little more polite so I did not hesitate.

Our little backyard pollination/bait hive was in full swarm. It's something like a 20 bar TBH. Big enough to be healthy, around here, but small enough not to be too strong. Half the yard was bees. After watching for a while, to our relief they had decided to cluster in the Lemon
tree about 5 feet from the ground. Perfect.
We waited a couple of hours for the swarm to settle in, bought a suitable cardboard box and planned the mission..

We had two empty Perone type hives, early MK 1 models set up in the Tonto Basin region, not far from the river. I have had them ready for a couple of years but the situation wasn't quite right. This time when a suitable swarm happened we were ready.

A little big of limb cutting ( long thorns on the Lemon tree) box under the cluster a couple of good shakes and they all dumped in. Duct tape for all corners, AC on in the Jeep Wrangler and we headed into the mountains. The bees needed the AC on this trip, it was 111F/44C. They travel a little easier if they are a little bit cooler - that is our experience. The swarm was good size at 4-6 lbs.

The Perone we used was a Langstroth size - 4 mediums for the brood area, then 3 smaller layers for the honey area.
We poured in the bees, and they were very ready to get out of the cardboard box. There was some panic phermone in the box, they were concerned but not overly so. I don't like the smell of frightened bees. 90 minutes in the box was enough

Bees into the hive. Put the layers on and strap the hive down. Walk away and get organized putting things away then went back to look at what they were doing.

At the entrance and various places on the hive the bees were fanning. So, the queen was in that's the best we could hope for. A week from now we will find out if they stayed.

If they stay I hope to resist the temptation to take a peek.
And a picture
http://www.weebly.com/uploads/2/8/9/6/28966299/8017270_orig.jpg
marise
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done to you , and such a beautiful picture , but I wonder , what is there is terms of forage for the bees ? apart from the cactus , I am not able to identify the trees/shrubs/bushes . I hope they stay .
Viggen
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The desert is deceptive with regard to pollen. There is a lot of local stuff - creosote bush, Palo Verde, Mesquite, Ash. This location is in a river valley and the river and a lot of things, known and unknown grow in the river impact area.

There are also active orchards in the area. And the Saguaro Cactus also bloom in the springtime.

There is pollen, there is good water, there is solitude.
I look forward to seeing how they use the area.
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good write up and picture, is that your land, or a friends, or classed as common land???
Viggen
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the land in that picture is privately owned.
As for the entire state of Arizona, some 86% is owned by government - Federal, State, Tribal. So although Arizona would by all appearances is large, the actual useful part is very limited. Sort of like a few islands of private ownership in a vast sea of government owned desert and mountains. It was part of the deal to allow Arizona into the US back in 1912.
andy pearce
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great picture and good luck with it. It looks a barren place but I know there are many plants in the deserts of the world, I think I was reading that Dee Lusby has big apiaries in similar kind of places.

My Perone MK2 finally has a home and sits waiting for a swarm....again. When I had swarms I was not ready, I missed a big prime swarm by minutes the day I put it up (imagine two be-suited figures in hot pursuit over fields and through woods on a really hot day lugging a big box to put them in....only to see them flap off into the blue). So now I wait and see if another of my this years swarms will swarm again as happened last week otherwise it is another empty year. Never mind, there is always next year.
A
Viggen
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes on your obtaining a primary swarm.
It took a couple of years for everything to line up - hive, location, swarm, access, cooperation, time,timing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Perone Hive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: