Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Cross comb across 5 bars

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kathcor
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Cross comb across 5 bars Reply with quote

I need to know how to reattach comb to top bar after removing the comb because of cross-combing. The comb appears to be straight, but crossing the bars. I was thinking of approaching them from the opposite side of the hive, cutting the comb off and reattaching them to an empty bar and replacing them in the order they are in. I just need to know how to keep the comb up on the bar until the bees can reattach to bar. Any help is very much appreciated! Sooner, rather than later.

Oh, and one of the combs is attached to the leader board.
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get yourself a few of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lady-Spring-Loaded-18-Tooth-Plastic-Hairclip-Barrette-Claw-Light-Purple-/111064521606?pt=UK_Hair_Accessories&hash=item19dbf61b86

drill some small holes in your top bars and then secure these loosly underneath with plastic ties, simply place the comb in the jaws of the clip and press shut, the teeth bed into the comb, then tighten the plastic ties, they will stay in the comb forever, but the bees just build around them
AugustC
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly have someone to help Smile
A second pair of hands is essential and the bees are going to get more than a little upset with you.
I am pretty sure you're going to want to shake all the bees off before you start. Then there are lots of ways of attaching. Some easier than other with new comb.

The easiest I think is to use hair grips attached to a bar using wire or cable ties. You can have these ready-to-go so it is cut and transfer.

Some people use "wire-hooks" on the topbar and hook the comb on. I think this might not work with fresh white comb as it is quite fragile.

I have reattached broken comb using a masking tape "girdle" this works really well as the bees just chew it off when they are done needing it. I can see this would be a real pain though for multiple combs.

If you are going with reattaching hair grip is probably your best option
madasafish
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find rubber bands work perfectly...
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AugustC wrote:
Some people use "wire-hooks" on the topbar and hook the comb on. I think this might not work with fresh white comb as it is quite fragile.

This is many wire hooks:
http://www.thegardenacademy.com/BK_-_Rescue_Frames.html
Amber
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Cross comb across 5 bars Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Trekmate, I used your friend's version of the rescue bars (with just a slight modification) on broken comb today and it worked perfectly. Such a simple idea. I used strong cage wire from B+Q rather than rabbit cage wire as I couldn't find a UK supplier who sold small quantities.

Can anyone tell me how to upload images?

Amber
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

open a photobucket account, post your pictures there, then copy and paste the url to here
Amber
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dexter.
Amber
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the Photobucket link (I hope) to 2 images of the rescue bars. The second one shows how the bars fit snugly because the support wire fits into the sawn kerf.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s100.photobucket.com/user/bees5/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>
Amber
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second try - expected to use the html save not the email one:

http://s100.photobucket.com/user/bees5/library/Rescue%20Bars
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done
johno
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amber.

I suppose this post is too late to help you with your urgent problem, but it might be worth considering if your hive is still in bad shape. I recently split a hive and moved cut comb from frames to top bars. I came up with a system for attaching the comb that I haven't seen used anywhere else, but in my opinion it is well worth considering. I did a quick inspection today and I am extremely happy with the results. All 4 top bars had well attached comb, which tells me that the hooks held the comb securely while the bees worked on it. One of the hooks I used fell out during the inspection, with minimal damage to any cells. This demonstrated to me that it is easy to remove the hooks after the comb is fully secured.

I posted a preamble outlining the plan before I attempted the transplant. You can find that post here.

I took some photos during the procedure and wrote up a summary of how it went. You can find the description of my method in this thread.

Unfortunately I forgot to bring my phone to take more pictures during the inspection today. I'll be checking them again in about 12-14 days, and I'll be sure to write a followup report after that.

best of luck
MikeRobinson
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to watch out for is that the hive should be perfectly level in both dimensions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> URGENT Help needed now! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: