Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Big business makes unnatural claim on the word Honey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Bee products, recipes, bee plants and apitherapy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekm
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Big business makes unnatural claim on the word Honey Reply with quote

Dear All, William Grant and sons are marketing a drink called "Three barrels honey" its not honey and I dont think it should go unchallenged

I have written to my MP, local trading standards, Radio 4, tesco, Morrisons. Here is the email I sent to the operations director Jane Moseley and Jill MClean of the BBKA, please do the the same.

Dear Jane, Gill,

We as Bee keepers are held to strict labelling laws to preserve the value in the term Honey. Now big business is cashing in on the reserved description by calling their products “honey” when they are not .

The example below “Three Barrels Honey “ a honey flavoured drink, is one which I have now complained to my MP, trading standards. Radio 4 You and Yours consumer affairs programme as well as the supermarkets Tesco and Morrisons. I am asking other beekeepers to do the same on Beekeeping websites and social media. You may wish to complain on the BBKA behalf as well. Beekeepers and bees have striven to protect this term Honey now its being stolen to :“capitalise on a flavour profile that’s dominating consumer interest “

This takeover is deliberate here is quote from www.hospitalityandcateringnews.com

Brand Manager for Three Barrels Honey, Paul Curry commented: “Experimental flavours are taking hold across most consumer goods and the spirits category is no stranger to this burgeoning trend. New product development and brand flavour extensions are driving market growth and it’s the sweeter profiles that are dominating overall. Honey is the flavour that’s captured consumer attention and is growing at over 1000%. Innovation in Brandy has been lacking and the category still has the second oldest demographic profile, so now is the ideal time to launch Three Barrels Honey and create excitement in this area.

Action is required.

Regards

Derek Mitchell

http://www.thedrinksreport.com/news/2014/15531-three-barrels-honey-launched-in-uk.html

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=285323274

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/getSearchProducts.do?clearTabs=yes&isFreshSearch=true&entry=three+barrels+honey

http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2014/07/william-grant-unveils-three-barrels-honey/

http://www.hospitalityandcateringnews.com/2014/07/william-grant-sons-uk-innovates-three-barrels-honey/
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there actually any honey in it?
derekm
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biobee wrote:
Is there actually any honey in it?

They say "natural honey flavouring"

which i think means NO as that could refer to caramel.

if we let this one pass means anything can be called honey,
even a sugar based spread containing "natural honey flavouring"
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack D make a honey version, I'll have to look up the ingriedients on that one, agree they should not get away with it.
derekm
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ingo50 wrote:
Jack D make a honey version, I'll have to look up the ingriedients on that one, agree they should not get away with it.

Take a bottle put some water in , then some sugar a bit of caramel or honey and then call it Toms Honey in small print say honey flavouring.

Very soon honey becomes just a term for a sweet flavoured drink.

Soon we have Coke Honey, Pepsi Honey, MacDonalds Honey, Dr Peppers honey,
Carlsberg honey.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to be honest I personally think that diluting honey, filtering it, perhaps adding other sugars, then removing some of the water they added, putting it in a jar and selling it as honey is much more of a "crime" than calling some flavoured drink honey flavoured. This is, I understand the practise in some countries where honey is mass produced/processed.

To me, if people want honey, they buy honey, be it cheap mass produced filtered stuff or locally produced "raw" honey. If they want a flavoured drink, they buy a flavoured drink and continue to buy it because they like the flavour rather than because it may or may not contain honey, especially if we are talking about alcoholic flavoured drinks..... I don't think anyone is going to buy such a product because they think it is more beneficial to their health or is helping the plight of the bees.

I might be missing something, but so far I can't find anything to get worked up about. Even if I sold honey, which I don't, this is potentially only going to affect large scale commercial producers mostly Asian and Chinese, whose honey might have been used, if the manufacturers of this product really wanted to make it properly honey flavoured. Certainly, no one is going to buy this stuff thinking it is a bottle of honey.

There are many issues to get wound up and write letters about in beekeeping and the environment at the moment, but in my personal opinion, this is low down on the list of priorities.

Sorry, but you just don't seem to be able to get me stirred up on this one.

Good luck with your campaign though.

Regards

Barbara
jumbleoak
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Big business makes unnatural claim on the word Honey Reply with quote

derekm wrote:
I have written to my MP, local trading standards, Radio 4, tesco, Morrisons. Here is the email I sent to the operations director Jane Moseley and Jill MClean of the BBKA...

Presumably you wrote to William Grant & Sons before that lot. What was their response?
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't get me hot under the collar, but saying or implying that a product contains or is made from something and is not, smacks of false advertising, but then I'm not a marketing lawyer/ legal expert. I do strongly support the right for consumers to know what is in our food and where it has been produced, or the multinationals will keep on abusing their positions. Remember the recent horse meat scandal.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tackled Grant's PR on Twitter, so far only a fob-off...

Phil Chandler ‏@BarefootBee
What has 'honey' in its name but not in its bottle? Labeling infringement? http://www.thedrinksreport.com/news/2014/15531-three-barrels-honey-launched-in-uk.html … @JulieAnnPearson @GlenfiddichFail #bees
derekm
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This honey regs protect the name honey. The guidance from the FSA clearly states a Product name ending in Honey must be honey.

If beekeepers wont stand up with few emails and phone calls for what honeybees kill and die for then its a sorry pass

Contact your MP and trading standards
Contact Sainsbury's. tescos. waitrose
contact the BBC , guardian, telegraph

I am , My bees are worth it , ARE YOURS
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing it all on Twitter - please follow me and re-tweet. Look for @BarefootBee

I have some followers working with me, but the more the merrier...
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek - can you point me to specifics in the labeling regs that you refer to?

Food Labelling and Standards Division - Room 115c
Food Standards Agency
Aviation House
125 Kingsway
London WC2B 6NH
Telephone: 020 7276 8159 or 8154
Fax: 020 7276 8193
e-mail:
helpline@foodstandards.gsi.gov.uk
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To William Grant & Sons

According to this press release http://www.thedrinksreport.com/news/2014/15531-three-barrels-honey-launched-in-uk.html you are marketing a product called Three Barrels Honey.

It appears that the product does not actually contain honey, but some flavouring that may resemble honey.

Do you not consider that this is rather misleading, given that the word 'honey' forms one third of the product name? I suggest that any reasonable person would assume from that name that honey was in fact an ingredient.

I think it is important that food is accurately described and accurately labeled, and that this is an attempt to mislead customers into thinking that honey is an ingredient, when in fact it is not.

I have taken this matter up with the Food Standards Authority, and await your response and theirs.

Yours,

Philip Chandler
Director
Friends of the Bees
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The responsible TSO for the area is:

Trading Standards Officer
Trading Standards, The Moray Council
PO Box 6760
Elgin, IV30 9BX
Telephone: 0300 123 4561
Email: trading.standards@moray.gov.uk

Anyone who feels this is important, please drop a quick email to this TSO, as they have ultimate say over labeling, apparently.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

The EHO just called to say that they would be sending a bottle off for analysis (!) and seemed to agree that there may be a case for misleading labeling.

Watch this space!
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at a bottle of JD Honey and did not give honey as an ingredient. I'm going to contact the company and will let you know what they reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Bee products, recipes, bee plants and apitherapy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: