Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
"The Appropriate Beehive" by Marty Hardison

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beekeeping Book and Product Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbhb
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: "The Appropriate Beehive" by Marty Hardison Reply with quote

I am fortunate to be a student of Marty Hardison, and to host his booklet, The Appropriate Beehive: An Introduction to Topbar Beekeeping, on my website for sharing.

This link is to the Preface, with further links to the full download once you're there. http://bbhb.blogspot.com/p/appropriate-beehive.html.

Marty's booklet includes dimensions for a Hardison Hive, as well as 2 articles that he thinks are important to share.

Alternately, if you want to skip the Intro and get right to the download (15MB PDF), the link is http://bit.ly/AppropriateBeehive.

Last edited by bbhb on Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty was a big influence on my early thinking about top bar hives, and I was pleased to be able to meet him when I visited Denver in 2012. He is well worth reading, even though we don't always agree on some design features!
bbhb
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pleased to have the chance to meet you, Phil, when you visited Denver and am kicking myself for not having gotten a picture with you and Marty, my two TBH heroes!

My bees have been in Marty's care while I go through venom immunotherapy, but I visit as often as I can, and I hear some interesting thoughts on bees and what's going on around us.

BTW, Marty often says that he knows he's doing a good job when one of his students suggests an alternate way of doing things. I guess I'm a good student, then, because I definitely do things differently!
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, most of your most were wiped out in my recent clumsy admin accident, and you don't sign any of your posts here or on your blog, so I'm afraid I don't know who you are, but I'm sure it was good to meet you too! Please remind me...

I am also happy when I see that someone has made a modification to my design, or invented a new technique, as it shows they are thinking for themselves and not just slavishly following instructions.
bbhb
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I fell into a practice of hiding my identity due to a horrendous next-door neighbor situation. After 10 long years, they've finally moved, and I need to break the habit. At any rate, I only chatted with you briefly so you may not remember me, but I am the Chinese girl that ended up sitting between Christy Hemenway and Marty. Lucky me! — Holly
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I do remember! Thanks for reminding me, Holly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beekeeping Book and Product Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: