Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Tassie Top Bars?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, AUS and NZ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Macca81
New Bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:41 am    Post subject: Tassie Top Bars? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

just wondering if there is anyone on here from Tasmania? I just built a TBH and am now chasing a swarm. Would be cool to know if there is anyone in Tas that is not just a traditional lang beek.
PhoebeAmber
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Tassie Top Bars Reply with quote

Hello Macca81

I'm based in Launceston and just about to finish building my first TBH. Nice to see someone else on here from Tassie!

I've jumped onto the forum to find out about paint finishes for the hive. Just wondering what paints are good to use - I noticed in Phil Chandler's "Balanced Beekeeping 1" some of the hives are painted blue. Would really like to source this paint for my own!

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Phoebe
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that is a chalk-based, non-toxic paint, used by this company - http://www.wildlifeworld.co.uk/ for some of its products.

I can buy such paints locally to me, but as to their availability in Tasmainia...

Or you could make your own - http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/natural-paint-zmaz06onzraw.aspx
PhoebeAmber
New Bee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Tassie Top Bars Reply with quote

Thanks for the useful link to making own paints Barefoot Beekeeper! I hadn't considered this before and it's something I'd like to research a little further.

I'm sure I could find equivalent eco-friendly products manufactured here in Australia. Will investigate further and perhaps post my findings on the forum.

Cheers
Phoebe
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to hear about any current information on the state of the old British Black Bee in Tasmania, as I understand they were taken there in the early days of settlement and have remained pure in some places pure ever since. Is that true?
stevelubiana
New Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three HTBH for three years now. Two going strong the third just got started and is now being converted to a Warre. All were filled with captured swarms. Cross combing has been a bit of a pain. Changing all over to warre hives so I can move them into the forest regularly. On another note the new proposed national rules banning fixed top bars is a big worry. We need to make submissions now to modify the draft new compulsory regulations.
PhoebeAmber
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: British Black Bees in Tasmania Reply with quote

biobee wrote:
I would be interested to hear about any current information on the state of the old British Black Bee in Tasmania, as I understand they were taken there in the early days of settlement and have remained pure in some places pure ever since. Is that true?

Hello Phil

Did some online investigating and came across a Tasmanian beekeeper by the name of Leigh Slater who claims to manage a pure strain of black bees with queens directly linked to the British Black Bees brought out by the first Governor of Tasmania in the early 19th century. Leigh keeps his bees in the Central Highlands of the island.

Tried to give him a call today, but have as yet to make contact. Will keep you posted.

Cheers
Phoebe
PhoebeAmber
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Banning Top Bar Hives Reply with quote

stevelubiana wrote:
I have three HTBH for three years now. Two going strong the third just got started and is now being converted to a Warre. All were filled with captured swarms. Cross combing has been a bit of a pain. Changing all over to warre hives so I can move them into the forest regularly. On another note the new proposed national rules banning fixed top bars is a big worry. We need to make submissions now to modify the draft new compulsory regulations.

Hello Steve

I've not heard about this proposed ban! Can you direct me to more information about this? I'm very interested to find out why...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, AUS and NZ All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: