Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Uk, Surrey, Guildford - first bees arriving Friday!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, UK and Ireland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clive-D
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Uk, Surrey, Guildford - first bees arriving Friday! Reply with quote

Hi. Excuse the cross posting, I've just spotted this mentor thread...

I've been planning my venture into tbh beekeeping and sourced some lovely cedar and made a start following Phil's plans.

Then a few days ago I got an email from my local BKA saying a local member has a colony in a tbh for sale. I had a look and spoke with the seller and I'm collecting them on Friday. As a beginner I think I'm lucky to get a disease free, treated and established colony, just getting active after the winter for my first season. It means I'll get some honey this year and I can use my own hive to expand.

From the sound of it, I have some work to do as towards the end of last season the bees made some cross bar comb, but the owner decided to leave it as she didn't want to disturb the winter supplies. There is an inspection window which from the photos looks like the hive is quite busy. Entrance at the end which I'd prefer on the side, but a lot of comb attached to the sides and space very full. It's a 3ft hive and is 75% full. I think I'll need to give them some more space soon and then prepare for swarming.

Is there anyone in or near Guildford who might be interested in some mentoring whilst I gain some hands on experience?

Happy days - have to say, after reading and watching so much (and listening to Phil's very good podcasts on my iPhone) I can't wait to get hands on with some bees.

Cheers, Clive
bobster
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive,

If you want me to have a look I'd be happy to come over some time.

PM me.

Regards,

Bobster
AndyC
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Clive

Did you get sorted with your hives/bees?

I am in Horsham and badly need some hands on experience before taking on some ladies.

AndyC
Clive-D
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy
Not been on the forum for ages, still have one colony and still feel like a new bee!! Happy to help where I can, but I'm very much a hands-off beekeeper. Get in touch whenever you like. I've just posted on the updates thread about how I'm getting on.
Cheers, Clive
Aliraza21

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Narustin
A small group of us around Crouch End/Finchley/Highgate with about 7 or 8 TBHs as yet haven't all met, but you are welcome to make contact with a personal email.We also have a connection with a group further East who we met at the Natural Beekeeping Conference.
Hope you can join us
Barry

Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Ali.
Please update your profile with proper location details as per the requirements of forum membership or your profile and posts will be at risk of deletion.

Many thanks

Barbara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, UK and Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: