Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
I'm building another log hive...a big one

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: I'm building another log hive...a big one Reply with quote

This log hive is being made from a Monterey Cypress that we had to cut down because of the danger of it to the house. Unbeknownst to me, it had a big rotten spot probably caused by someone pounding nails in the tree before we bought the place over 40 years ago. In any case, the tree will live on as a log hive. At this stage, I'm done hollowing it out, the observation window is fitted, and the log has been picked up by Brian Vorwaller who will carve the faces of my three grand kids, with the idea being that the entrances to the hive will be through the mouths of the grand kids. It ought to be interesting. Smile
http://solarbeez.com/2015/02/14/gran...ogress-report/
Brian, the wood carver, thinks he can have it done by the end of March so I can set it up for swarm season. Last year I had 8 swarms from 3 hives. This year I have 8 hives. Since I'm a natural beekeeper, I don't medicate, feed, or otherwise intervene in any way in my log hives.
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the link doesn't work for you (as it didn't for me) try http://solarbeez.com/2015/02/14/grand-kids-log-hive-progress-report/

Great work! Looking forward to the result. A family of beehives? Very Happy
Jasbee
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What an amazing project!
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, great fotos. How long did all the woodworking take? You have done a very professional job. Please post more fotos when the faces have been done. Let us know how quickly the log is colonised from setting it up.
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ingo50 wrote:
Well done, great fotos. How long did all the woodworking take? You have done a very professional job. Please post more fotos when the faces have been done. Let us know how quickly the log is colonised from setting it up.

Thanks for the kind words, but it's far from "expertly done." I'll give updates as I get them from Brian and Zada Vorwaller (the couple that's working on it now.)
In the meantime, here are a couple of 'prequels...'
This first one is the very beginning when I asked Brian (the wood carver) to advise me on where to open the log up so he would have plenty of room to carve the faces. He wanted a good 4 inches so he drew it out for me.
http://solarbeez.com/2014/12/14/three-kids-log-hive/
The above post also has a video of Hal talking about his log hive. Hal is my mentor when it comes to log hives. When I first joined the bee club, he was the ONLY one doing something that really appealed to me. "Non-intervention beekeeping." "I'm not going to feed, medicate, or take any honey. The bees can swarm as often as they want." His log hive is actually bigger than mine and the observation window is a good example of what I'd like mine to be.

The second post has a short (sped up) video showing me un-expertly sawing the wedge out, but I was rather proud of my "chainsaw angle selfie." Smile I just hope I didn't go too deep because every time I tried to saw out a section, the chainsaw cut deeper than I intended, then I encountered a big rotten section caused by some nails someone drove into the tree. I was surprised to realize how much rot resulted from nails.
http://solarbeez.com/2015/01/03/progress-on-3-kid-log-hive/
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekmate wrote:
If the link doesn't work for you (as it didn't for me) try http://solarbeez.com/2015/02/14/grand-kids-log-hive-progress-report/

Great work! Looking forward to the result. A family of beehives? Very Happy

Thanks, Trekmate, for correcting that link. Yes...you got it..."A family of beehives."
or what naturally happens when you get a male and a female together...kids!
Okay, maybe that's a little over the top. Smile
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wood carver has made some progress on the faces and I have made the quilt box so he can carve a structure to top it off.
Here's some updated photos and a short video...
http://solarbeez.com/2015/03/16/facing-the-challenge/
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great looking hive!

Does the canola oil for the chain saw result in any extra wear to the chain or bar? I often use a "vegetable based oil" but it's not cheap!
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekmate wrote:
Another great looking hive!

Does the canola oil for the chain saw result in any extra wear to the chain or bar? I often use a "vegetable based oil" but it's not cheap!

I've used it for a few years and haven't really noticed any extra wear and tear on the chain, but I don't use to make a living, only to cut firewood now and then.
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great faces, what a talent. Please post fotos of the final assembled log hive in situ.
SueBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were younger and stronger and smarter, I'd make one of these. What a beauty you have there!
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting real close now...within a week, I'd say. 😀
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solarpat wrote:
I'm getting real close now...within a week, I'd say. 😀

I guess it took longer than a week, but I'm happy with the results.
http://solarbeez.com/2015/04/22/grand-opening-for-grand-kids-log-hive/
I've included a little video to highlight the construction of the log hive.
At this point the hive is not occupied (at least not by honeybees) and I haven't seen a single swarm yet, so I hope this carved log will graduate into a hive sooner than later. Smile
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!!!!
Absolutely mind-blowingly fantastic. What an amazing work of art and hopefully, soon to be living sculpture.

I thought the other two were sensational but really, this last one is just beyond words!

I so look forward to your next video showing it populated. I doubt any self respecting swarm could resist that!
SueBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply magnificent! I've never seen anything like it, and I hope it sings with bee-life for many, many years!
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
WOW!!!!!!
I so look forward to your next video showing it populated. I doubt any self respecting swarm could resist that!

Thanks, Barbara. I shot another video yesterday. It's a sort of walk-through of my other two log hives, a look at the numbers of bees at the entrances, and speculating which one might possibly swarm first. Since both log hives were populated by a volunteer swarm, which built up very fast, whoever decides to occupy the GK log hive would want to have those traits because it's so big, plus they are log hives, and would like to populate another log hive, right? I can only hope. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=xv7oHBRYM1E
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueBee wrote:
Simply magnificent! I've never seen anything like it, and I hope it sings with bee-life for many, many years!

Thanks, SueBee. That's a very poetic way of stating it. I hope I get a swarm too, but I realize it's a big gamble. My log hive mentor, Hal, has built another log hive. He is playing the waiting game too. The race is on... Smile
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was starting to doubt myself, wondering whether I would get a swarm this year. The few swarms that I saw were small. We even had a small(ish) swarm land on the log hive only to move on elsewhere. I recalled Hal, my log hive mentor, say that he had to wait 8 months one time for a swarm to populate one of his big log hives.
But we were lucky...two days ago, on May 13, a big swarm came from over the trees and slowly made it's way up to the log hive. My wife was working outside and alerted me. The post below has some pictures and the video play-by-play...
http://solarbeez.com/2015/05/15/grand-entrance-for-grand-kids-log-hive/
To say that we were excited would be an understatement. These bees picked out our log hive. As it turns out, another swarm seemingly had designs on it too. The second swarm was arguably as big or bigger than the first, but they were about 20 minutes late and had to land on the outside where they stayed all night and left about 3:15 pm the next day.
Two days before the 'swarm event,' I had shot video of some 'bee disagreements.' Scout bees were trying to eject other scout bees. I'm wondering if it's possible that these were scout bees from different swarms fighting over the log? I included that video.
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My log hive mentor, Hal Strain, has come out with another log hive. Since he is pushing 80 and since he couldn't source an old log, he built one, out of full sized 1 x 12's.
http://solarbeez.com/2015/05/25/hal-nails-log-hive-4-patti-shows-us-her-garden/
I shot video starting in late March with the understanding that I wouldn't post it until bees had actually swarmed INTO his hive. Hal doesn't try to capture a swarm to put in, he wants the bees to actually CHOOSE his hive. That they did, sometime in early May. In our unofficial race to see who would get bees in their individual log hive first, Hal beat me by about two weeks.
In the video, Hal talks about his beekeeping experience, his thoughts on mite control, and how he built his log hive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Photo gallery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: