Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
my out apiary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Conventional and miscellaneous hives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: my out apiary Reply with quote

so over my woodland, I have two hives and bees at present, a small cast swarm that I wanted to house in a rose hive, but as the swarm came before the delivery of rose boxes, I used a commercial super, my one mistake was to use one with castelations as the bees started building double comb from the wax starter strips, and had built on 5 frames (10 combs)
well we spent the weekend at the woods camping for summer solstice, so thought I'd attempt to rectify it, I took a standing super and transferred 3 extra frames into it, then cut off the extra comb and placed in a frame of its own using elastic bands, spotted our marked queen, so all looking good, we then inspected this prime swarm, placed over here 10 days ago, now they are building fast

http://youtu.be/xIsTgD6SQHU
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the extra spacing in a castellated super will just about guarantee brace comb and other wonders... Sometimes, though, you just have to use what you've got.
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had worked out in my head what needed to be done, remove the extra comb from each frame, place it in the same frame to the side, or a new frame if not enough room, and change the 9 frame super for a standard 12 frame super, but that would be better done with two pairs of hands, so our friend lewis was asked to help, which he loved doing and now wants to become a bee keeper too

you can see the double comb

comb removed

and then placed alongside

it all went surprisingly well, and thankfully we saw our marked queen happily go down between finished frames

rmcpb
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos. Is Lewis the bloke with the bare ankles? He will love it when they get toey Smile

Cheers
Rob.
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmcpb wrote:
Nice photos. Is Lewis the bloke with the bare ankles? He will love it when they get toey Smile

Cheers
Rob.

yup, I did offer him some ankle protection, but you know these youngsters Very Happy Im sure he will wear suitable clothing next time
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another two swarms sitting in poly nucs in my garden, hope to get them over the woods in the next couple of weeks, ones on rose frames and the other is going into a commercial, even though it's on national frames, both using just wax starter strips, anyway the bees were on 5 out of the 6 frames, so rather than put that nuc over there, and run the risk of them outgrowing the nuc in between inspections, I transferred it into a commercial brood box, I'll let them settle in for a week, give myself time to set up another space near the others, then get them on the bramble

http://youtu.be/7fj_0pU8Wh4
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just an update, I cleared an area to the side of my two hives, as we hope to get a few more hives here, ready for next season,

http://youtu.be/_0KplHHAjig

and then checked the small hive (rose method) that we re positioned the double comb in last weekend

http://youtu.be/FfUS6E-BIxo
johno
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice vid. Wish I had a hands-free way to record stuff.

I noticed when you were closing up, you slide each frame back to it's original position individually. Each time a frame is pushed up against another, you risk squishing a few bees between the side bars. If you slide a block of 3 or 4 frames at the same time, you will only squash 1/3 or 1/4 as many bees. And of course you reduce the chances of an accidental queen removal.
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did notice that when I watched the video too, must have been a lapse in concentration, as I normally do a bunch at a time

as for hands free recording, I use a go pro which are expensive when new, but can be picked up from evil bay quite cheaply, rather than pay out for a proper chest mount at £40 plus, I made mine from a £1.99 tool belt, I like recording every inspection on all my hives, as a reference, when played back you sometimes see things that you missed with your eyes,

I have heard about good reviews from this chinese copy of the go pro, and it's a third of the price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12MP-SJ4000-HD-1080P-Waterpoof-Helmet-Sports-DV-Cam-Car-Motor-Bike-Action-Camera-/351059267995?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item51bcc3519b
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so today I got the other two hives over the woods, that's four in total, I didn't expect to get any honey from any of these hives this year, but the prime swarm that I housed over there less than a month ago, are living upto my mentors advice that they are good honey collectors, the top super was all wax starter strips, the second was fully drawn out comb, borrowed from mentor when picking the swarm up, a "rose" osb that I added last week, plus the brood box, wax starters, another week and I reckon the top super will be ready to remove, and I'll add another in its place

http://youtu.be/DlyuzQgUrds
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I extracted two supers full of honey today from two hives that I have at home, have to say, it'll be the first and last time, took me all day and Im still waiting on some that are straining through cloth after the frames popped in the extractor, it's made me realise that doing only cut comb from the hives in the wood, is the way to go
rmcpb
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use half inch wire mesh in the extractor buckets and spin slowly to stop comb breaking in the bush hives. For our home hives we just crush and strain.

Cheers
Rob.
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as an update, we went into winter with four hives in the woods, the rose hive seen in the pictures above was the only one not to make it through,

https://youtu.be/5wrdMN8ErXQ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Conventional and miscellaneous hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: