Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Mould in hive and runny honey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth1979
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Mould in hive and runny honey Reply with quote

Hi all.

Due to a recent house move I have not inspected my hive since June 2014.
Given today's warm weather and good fly day I decided to have a quick look in to see how they are.

Long story short

The observation window has failed, the elements have got in and caused blackspot and blue green mould to grow on the majority of the combs of varying severity.

The hive itself appears well populated otherwise.

I have ordered a new hive to transfer the combs in order to undertake repairs... but ....do I need to undertake any intervention for the interim ?

Separate Issue

Honey that leaked out of the combs due to the usual damage sustained appeared exceptionally watery. Is this due to the elemental exposure?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Is this a horizontal top bar hive? How has the weather managed to get in through the window.... I would assume the window is on the sloping side with a cover over it and the roof should have enough overhang to prevent water touching the cover unless there has been driving rain. Perhaps you could just put architrave round the edge of the window cover to prevent the wet getting in. Is the mould just tainting the surface of the comb or is it thick and furry right into the cells?

Can you take some photos so that we can see where the problem might lie.
Bees are able to clean up mould from comb if it not too extensive. Once the temperature warms up and the bees are more active on the comb, the air flow will improve and the mould problem should subside.

The runny "honey" you describe could be new nectar that they have just been bringing in. How did the comb get damaged to release it. Was there some comb attachment that you didn't noticeI hope you don't have an open mesh floor as spillage could spark robbing.

It's so difficult to make a judgement call on something like this without seeing it. If the bees have survived this far then things can't be too bad. Was there much capped honey or was it all open, as that will create a lot of moisture?

Regards

Barbara
anth1979
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barbara

Yeah its a TBH.

It seems that the perspex window has loosened where the glue would have been and created about a 1cm gap between the hive frame and perspex.
The observation window is covered with a removable wooden slat albeit loosely

The mould is like the mould you get with condensation e.g like around a window frame.

There were cells thick with a blue fury mould with some mummified mouldy bees stuck to it. reminded me of bread or cheese mould.

I only inspected the back 14 bars as I lost nerve and did not want to risk further loosening the perspex until I had a replacement to transfer them to should the worst happen.

The back 14 bars were filled with capped and uncapped honey with some bridge comb and adhesions to the side of the hive wall. It was while I was working theses loose that they were damaged and the honey was running out. it was very runny about the consistency of sugar syrup. Its an open mesh floor with a wooden bottom that can be raised to close it in winter.
Adam Rose
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anth1979 wrote:

It seems that the perspex window has loosened where the glue would have been and created about a 1cm gap between the hive frame and perspex.
The observation window is covered with a removable wooden slat albeit loosely

Barbara is right to ask for pictures so we have a better idea of what is going on, but it's quite easy to make repairs from the outside.

You just want to make sure that there is a well insultated enclosed cavity that the bees are living in. This doesn't necessarily mean doing anything much to the broken perspex. When I had the observation window cover stolen and the perspex window slightly damaged I improvised with insulation like this: http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-loft-insulation-l75m-w600mm/182139_BQ.prd and a couple of layers of plywood. What started off as improvisation has now become semi permanent ! Maybe you could use something like that, and maybe also some tape to temporarily block any gaps between the cover and the hive.

If you're not going to move the bees soon, then I think you should do whatever you can from the outside to make this kind of well insulated, windproof cavity.

Adam.
csturgess
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I add a question? I too had a mould like substance (though it wasn't fuzzy) in my hive when we looked in this spring but it wasn't on the comb, it was on the side walls.

My bees have propolised the entire mesh floor and it also looked like they were putting some propolis around the one opening we left so they were reducing any ventilation. They have since chewed this away.

The hive was well insulated (building insulation attached to the roof and horse hair in a mesh bag on the windward side in the empty space past the follower board.

The bees look fine but I am a bit worried about the discolouration, which is only where the bees lived.
anth1979
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hi all

Just an update.

Update is nature knows best. Once we got the warmer weather the bees sealed up the plastic screen with propolis which i reinforced from the outside with window sealant.

And no trace of the mould. once the condensation was under control the honey has returned to a thicker consistency.

Cheers for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: