Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Looking for a Mentor - Devon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, UK and Ireland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josephinesthompson
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Mentor - Devon Reply with quote

Hello.
I am looking for a mentor to help me get started this year. I am working on a forest garden in mid Devon where the bees will live. I have been doing a lot of my own research and will attend a beginners beekeeping course using top bar hives. If anyone in Devon is willing to spend some time showing me more about bees and top bar hives please let me know. I would be happy to tell you more about myself and our forest garden project.
Thanks,
Josephine.
steved6530
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Josephine

I live in Exeter and am always willing to help new beeks. Just a couple of questions.

Whereabouts in mid Devon are you situated? Do you have any bees yet? If not, would you be prepared to travel to Exeter?

Steve
josephinesthompson
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Some help getting started Reply with quote

Hi there.
Thanks for the offer of some help! How long have you been keeping bees for? Are you using a top bar hive?
I would be happy to travel to Exeter.
I have just come home from a beginners natural bee keeping course at Embercombe and feeling very excited. I haven't got any bees yet. I'm going to build a top bar hive next week and if a swarm arrives then all the better. I'm not sure how confident I am about catching a swarm if one presents itself... We will see.
I am just outside of North Tawton which is about 21 miles west of Exeter.
When could I come and meet the bees?
Thanks!
Josephine
AugustC
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Josephine

If you are a little nervous about collecting a swarm then a good idea would be to place out some bait hives and let the swarm come to you instead. It is really very straight forward and certainly worth trying as it either works or it doesn't. I caught 5 swarms this way last year alone. You can even set up you new empty hive as a bait hive and they may well move straight in for you. If you can get a bit of old brood comb from somewhere *winks obviously at Steve* that often helps.
There is a basic guide on my blog if you want to check it out.
best of luck, A
www.augustcottageapiary.wordpress.com
steved6530
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Josephine

Quote:
How long have you been keeping bees for?Are you using a top bar hive?

I have been keeping bees for over 25 years and am currently using TBH, Warre and National hives.

Quote:
When could I come and meet the bees?

I am busy this week. I will keep an eye on the weather forecast for next week. If the weather warms up a bit, we can try to arrange a meeting.

If you are happy with this I will PM you with contact details.

Steve
josephinesthompson
New Bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot August C for the advice. I really do hope that a swarm chooses my hive. I'm building it tomorrow and will get it positioned on the land by the weekend. Very exciting!

Thanks so much Steve. I'll send you a message with my number so we can organise a time to meet when its warm enough for the bees. Really fantastic to find someone who can help me to get properly started with the practical side of things. Theres only so much one can learn from reading...
Off to buy some wood to build the hive tomorrow.... thinking, to fit an observer window or not... hmm.

Talk soon
Josephine
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinking, to fit an observer window or not... hmm.

More work but definitely well worth it.

Josephine I sent you a PM regarding updating your profile to show country as well as your county and nearest town/city. This is an international forum and beekeeping is dependent upon local conditions so your location in the world is very relevant to any questions/responses you may get. It also helps people to form local self help networks. Please can you amend your profile to include this info.

Many thanks

Barbara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, UK and Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: