Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Bees pollinating Scotch Broom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Bees pollinating Scotch Broom Reply with quote

I wanted to see what the bees were getting into when they were covered with yellow pollen. I walked up the road to the blooming Scotch Broom and realized why they were covered in pollen. The bees land on the flower, spreads the lower petals apart, then triggers the mechanism that pops up the stamen which curls up and over the back of the bee. When it happens, it's sudden and strong, like an explosion.
http://solarbeez.com/2015/05/10/bees-on-broom-scotch-broom/
This is not National Geographic quality, but I slowed down the action so you can see it better. It's fascinating to see the intimate relationship between the bee and the flower.
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting fotos and great quality video. I have not heard of Scotch Broom before, looks like your bees are near a woodland.
Solarpat
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time of year, the countryside is alive with yellow blossoms. First it's the gorse blooming which starts in February. Scotch Broom sort of sneaked up on me. I hadn't really thought about bees getting anything from it until I started seeing heavy loads of pollen flying in on the bees' bodies. From what I read, there is not much nectar to be gotten from Broom, but lots of pollen.
peopleshive
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video - thanks. You've solved the mystery of the orange-yellow dusted bees that I see in rural and suburban hives. Since we're in Scotland we just call it 'Broom'!

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Photo gallery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: