Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Any Colorado / Wyoming members?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, USA and CA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Any Colorado / Wyoming members? Reply with quote

I am interested in comparing notes with others beeks in the mountain west.

dK
bcolburn
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: I am really new to beekeeping, but I live in Denver area Reply with quote

Started my hive on April 25th, and they have 6 combs built so far. I wish I could be of more help.
Brian
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to ping me if you have questions. I have only a couple of years on you so I am a seasoned, high altitude, newbie. And, I am not too far away distance-wise...
bcolburn
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in the foothills? I am an urban dweller in the Denver Tech Center area.
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am south of Castle Rock near the Palmer Divide.
bcolburn
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful up there. How many hives do you have going? My hive got started on April 25th and they have 7 combs going so far. How are yours doing?
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple top bars for a while and decided this Spring to add two more. I've only had them for a week and it is too early to tell if they have accepted the queen or not. They are drawing comb but I have not been able to get in and see if there is any brood. Too much rain!

Of course, one colony drew comb right over the feeder since it made a great perch in an otherwise empty hive.

If it would stop raining for a few days I would like to make a few nucs to use for breeding hives.

dK
bcolburn
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are well beyond my limited expertise. I'd like to come down and see your hives some time this summer. It sounds like you have it going!
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still a newbie and always learning. But, I do push my learning curve a bit. Sometimes too much.

I am thinking of having a "bee day" some time this Summer. A few other folk have mentioned it too. I'll post something here when I know more.

It would be great to connect with other beeks in the area. High elevation can be tricky.

dK
bcolburn
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK,

You got me worried about the viability of my queen, so I think I need to check on her after work. There are 7 combs being built. The two on the outside are smaller than the rest so I am sure those will not have brood.

I have watched the videos, and read the books, but I wanted to run it by you. I should open the hive and pull out one of the 5 (maybe 2 if needed) to see if they have brood cells, correct?

Beeday sounds great.

BC
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote our bee guru to the east - Michael Bush:

"Don't freak out if the queen doesn't lay right away. Some will lay as soon as there is comb ¼" deep in the hive. Some take as long as two weeks to start to lay. If they aren't laying in two weeks they probably aren't going to and it's time to freak out."

Did you release the queen directly or did you replace the cork with a marshmallow and allow the workers to eat it away? If the latter, you are likely OK but I would check and see if you can see any eggs. That is the most non-invasive way to check on the queen. I plan to do the same thing this weekend if I can find a sunny time when they are out of the hive and not grumpy due to thunder/rain.

dK
bcolburn
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I opened the hive and all of the combs are yellow, with some empty spots that are dark. The bees were a bit pizzed, but I was able to look at all of the combs. They look like they could have brood in them, but I am just not sure. I will try again on Sunday with a magnifying glass. I have to take a quick trip to Houston and won't be back until then.

Hopefully they are brood and it is all ok. I did use the marshmallow trick when I introduced the queen, so you are probably right. It has almost been 3 weeks.
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be tricky. I like to lift the bars so enough so I can see with the sunlight but not enough to drop the queen. You should see tiny white eggs or else what will appear to be tiny white grubs in a C shape.

If you have capped cells then those should be capped brood. Your hive is too new to have capped food stores.

Safe travels!

dK
bcolburn
House Bee

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me feel much better DK. Thx man!
bcolburn
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey DK, the bees are very active and bring in pollen constantly, but they haven't built any additional comb for over 2 weeks from the looks of it. Is that normal?
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many combs have they drawn? By this time I would anticipate 3-6 combs of varying sizes. Were you able to spot any brood? If there is brood and they are foraging steadily I wouldn't worry about it. Every colony has their own speed and rhythm. Mine build comb in fits and starts. I have seen them build an entire comb in one weekend but typically it goes much slower.

I opened my two new hives today and discovered that one colony decided to draw comb on the divider. I removed the fragments of comb and gave them a few more top bars to build on. The other hive only had 3 full-sized combs and a few fragments more started.

I was surprised and concerned to see mold on the divider in one hive. That is unheard of in Colorado. It shows how much more moisture we've received over the past month than is normal. I'm wondering now if I should swap it out for one made of red cedar...

dK
bcolburn
House Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They still are maintaining the 7 combs, but are really active. No new comb for nearly 3 weeks. They look healthy and bring pollen back to the hive constantly. Through the window they all seem organized so I guess that I shouldn't worry.
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seven combs is good! Neither of my new hives have seven combs.

I have one colony that has remained small and never fills the hive. They produce enough honey to get them through the winter and are pest and disease free. I will harvest honey occasionally and they seem content with their size.

Bees know what they are doing even when we don't Wink

dK
bcolburn
House Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't fool those mothers.... Thanks DK!
bcolburn
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning DK. Almost all of the combs have been attached to the sides of the hive. I expanded the hive by one bar and a spacer at the front and got them early enough that they barely knew that I was there. There are 3 open bars at the back.

Do I need to check for mites?

Thanks,
Brian
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use your hive bar to keep those comb free of the hive sides. It is also good to keep free space so the colony has that "not too full" feeling. I try to be cautious adding bars into brood unless it is pretty warm. The queen will not lay where it cannot be kept warm (more than a bee space).

I opened my two new hives and they are full. I have two open bars and a backer board and then no more room. So, I need to build more hives and split before they swarm. I am going to replace the backer with another bar until next week when I can get a hive made.

I not sure how to answer your mite question. I visually inspect my bees for varroa and also the hive bottom boards. Some beeks will take 100 bees and kill them with ether (think starting fluid) and then inspect them for varroa as the mites crawl off the dead hosts. I have never done that here in CO. I would post that question in the Top Bar section. I'd like to see the answers too.

BTW, the book I was thinking of which covers comb order and management is Top-Bar Beekeeping: Organic Practices for Honeybee Health.
bcolburn
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check out that book as well. Here is the DVD that I thought was great and gave an awesome presentation on the combs: DVD: Alternative Beekeeping Using the
Top Bar Hive and The Bee Guardian Methods. You can get it at: http://www.backyardhive.com/backyardhive_beekeeping_shop/
grinningranny
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Bee Keeping in the Colorado mountains Reply with quote

Hi, bcolburn and DurangoKid.
Since your posts are from last year, I'm not sure if you will get this or not. Please allow me to introduce myself. I live near Westcliffe at 7850', and am planning on building 2 TBHs this winter. As a total newbee with no mentors I am trying to connect with some others who have some experience with "high and dry" Bee keeping. I was just wondering how your hives are doing, now and any of the challenges you have had to face with the high altitude and cold temperatures that go with living in the Rockies. Thanks, and best regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, USA and CA All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: