Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
can i use honey watered down 50/50 for feed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hannah donovan
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: can i use honey watered down 50/50 for feed Reply with quote

hi
i am possibly going to get a swarm, and i have also asked around for a split.. but i was wondering if i coud feed the bees a 50/50 solution of watered down honey from the rainforset (so no chemicals or gmos in it) as a first feed when they are re-homed rather than white sugar? as i know white sugar is processed and bleeched so surely it isnt good for the bees..my thoughts are bees eat honey, so why cant i feed it to them, instead of some horrid not natural product ... anyone got an answer for me please as i REALLY want to help my bees and keep them as happy and as close to natural as possible.

HANNAH
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hannah and good luck getting some bees. I know you are really keen to get started with beekeeping.

If your bees are a swarm then they should not need feeding. Unless they have been in transit for several days.

If they are a split, they should come with some stores anyway, so again, don't need feeding.

There should be plenty of flowers for them at this time of year which is a much more natural than either of the alternatives.

Also, if you are so committed to being natural (which comes across in many of your other posts), you have to accept that it is unnatural to feed them full stop and you may also wish to consider that a significant percentage of swarms do not make it....(this is not my personal experience but was documented by Prof Tom Seeley I believe! So it is also natural for some of them to die. Is it right to interfere in that?

You will learn that there are levels of "naturalness" and you have to find the level at which you are comfortable.

It is always a risk feeding honey to bees as it has been processed by other bees.... and man... which may make it dangerous for your bees.

Foul brood spores can be transferred in it and if it has been heated in the human processing, that changes the chemicals, which can make it toxic to bees.

Think of it this way.... how natural is it for some bees in the UK to be eating honey produced by bees in the rain forests of South America or any other distant place? To me this is how problems occur.

If circumstances are exceptional and I do decide to feed my bees, I do so with white sugar syrup.....this is used world wide and to the best of my knowledge, no one has poisoned their bees with it.
There are certainly outbreaks of AFB(American Foul Brood) that have been traced to foreign honey that the bees have gained access to.... at food factories etc.

You have a responsibility to other local beekeepers and their bees to reduce the risk of AFB and therefore I think using foreign honey is not a good option.... however ethically sourced it may be.

Best wishes

Barbara
hannah donovan
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: GOOD ADVICE Reply with quote

THANKYOU... GOT THE SAME ADVICE FROM PHIL....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: