Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Closing up hives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
exmoorlover
House Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Closing up hives Reply with quote

I keep my bees in an old (roofless) barn, so the bees have to fly over the top of the walls on the way to foraging. I am currently having roofs replaced on some of my outbuildings, and yesterday the workmen were getting buzzed by some bees and one man got stung on his face and has had to take the day off work today as he cant see out of his right eye. Understandably they are wary about working on the roofs - it didn't help that on a previous job there was a garden opposite with a hive that had gone bad, and one of them was stung there too. I can't think of a way to raise the bees' flight height, so I think my only alternative will be to keep the hives closed up until the workmen have left for the day. What precautions will I need to take to keep my bees safe whilst they are closed up, possibly on a warm day?
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear your workman got stung. Unfortunately this is not the best time of year for working near the hives as bees get tetchy during swarming season in my experience.
The most important thing is to allow plenty of ventilation if the weather is warm. With a full hive of bees, that is going to be a lot of hot bodies. I would probably cover the entrance with mesh rather than a solid plug and give them extra space within the hive (an empty super on a national or a few extra bars on a TBH and possibly a feeder if they don't have much in the way of stores but at this time of year they should have. If you have an open mesh floor, then they should be fine. If it's a solid floor then you might want to place a match stick between upper boxes if its a National hive or warre or perhaps between a couple of bars if it's a top bar hive.

Good luck with it

Barbara
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also add some shade if they get any direct sun during the day.
exmoorlover
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barbara and trekmate for your prompt replies. Nice to have that encouragement. First shut in day yesterday, and although I haven't opened up the hive, so far I don't see any ill effects.
Found out later the workmen were using sunscreen, presumably perfumed! Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> URGENT Help needed now! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: