Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
(Video): Top Bar Hive Removal From Under Mobile Home in FL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> TV, Video, Blogs and Other Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Thomas
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: (Video): Top Bar Hive Removal From Under Mobile Home in FL Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm finally done editing and uploading this video to YouTube.

Yes, the video is 30-minutes long. However, I had requests from some to add more cutting of comb, etc.

Keep in mind also that I keep the action moving. If I start vacuuming, it's only going to be for a few seconds in the video. Nobody wants to listen to a vacuum cleaner for 10 minutes. I realize my voice may not be much better than a vacuum, but hey, what can I do about that?

Enjoy the video. It was tough to edit all the footage down to 30-minutes...lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK6BVybHzm0

Patrick Thomas
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comments?

No questions?

There aren't a whole heck of a lot of people doing top bar removals on this scale.

Why the silence? Lol.

Garret
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job! Showing the brood being removed and placed onto the bars would have been very helpful. I've done many cut outs over the years but have never recorded any. Great to have this to view.
When doing my cut outs I'm mostly interested to get about 4 good size combs of brood and at least 1 pollen comb into the hive with all the bees. The honey can be fed back over time or harvest. Left over pieces of brood can be propped up on the hive floor to emerge or disposed of. With that many bees it doesn't take long for them to re establish their nest.
Nice job though!
Patrick Thomas
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garret wrote:
Nice job! Showing the brood being removed and placed onto the bars would have been very helpful. I've done many cut outs over the years but have never recorded any. Great to have this to view.
When doing my cut outs I'm mostly interested to get about 4 good size combs of brood and at least 1 pollen comb into the hive with all the bees. The honey can be fed back over time or harvest. Left over pieces of brood can be propped up on the hive floor to emerge or disposed of. With that many bees it doesn't take long for them to re establish their nest.
Nice job though!

Garret, thanks so much for watching and all the positive comments.

You have the luxury of being able to prop-up comb on your hive floor where you live. In Florida, small hive beetles would waste no time infesting the comb on the floor.

My only challenge here in Florida is the small hive beetle. No varroa issues, no freezing, etc. It's all about the SHB.

Thanks again, Garret, for watching.

lancashirebeekeeper
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: mobile home cut out Reply with quote

hi patrick

just watched your video
very informative, i really enjoyed it
i particularly like the way you use wire to hold the cut out to the top bar
ive never seen it done that way before but it beats the pants off elastic bands
thanks for sharing

Very Happy
Smorning
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched video what a task very interesting and extremely sticky !!! Amazed phone survived the drips. Well done in saving these bees hope they do well in their new home(s)
Patrick Thomas
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: mobile home cut out Reply with quote

Yes, it's a bit time consuming to fabricate those hardware cloth holders, but I'm getting faster. I'm also becoming more discriminating as to how much brood comb to keep. Keep in mind, we have a bad problem with small hive beetles here and too much brood comb in a cut-out can be a recipe for disaster.

And thanks so much for watching, commenting and enjoying. Smile

Patrick Thomas
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact, BOTH hives are doing great in their new homes. The overflow hive has already raised a queen and she's probably laying about by now. I have already seen her, but she was very young.

By the the way, a video of a more recent cutout I will soon be editing shows a newly-mated queen in the hive just a day-or-so after I got them home. She was apparently a virgin when I found her during the cutout and placed her in a clip. And I found it odd during that cutout that they weren't crowding around the queen clip like they normally do. It's because she was a virgin and her pheromones weren't quite raging enough. But yes, she had part of a drone still stuck in her when I found her once home. She flew several times during the cutout.....once when I was trying to film her being caught and once when I released her into the hive. Both times she came back........as she SHOULD.

But yes, the honey dripping during the video you speak of was amazing in that it didn't block-out the lense.

Thanks so much for watching and commenting. Smile

Patrick
Smorning
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great videos thanks for posting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> TV, Video, Blogs and Other Media All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

SPECIAL OFFER FOR UK FORUM MEMBERS - Buy your protective clothing here and get a special 15% discount! (use the code BAREFOOTBEEKEEPER at checkout and be sure to 'update basket')

Are the big energy companies bleeding you dry?

Is way too much of your hard-earned family income going up in smoke?

Are you worried about what could happen if the ageing grid system fails?

You need to watch this short video NOW to find out how YOU can cut your energy bills TO THE BONE within 30 days!

WATCH THE VIDEO NOW

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)

Conserving wild bees

Research suggests that bumble bee boxes have a very low success rate in actually attracting bees into them. We find that if you create an environment where first of all you can attract mice inside, such as a pile of stones, a drystone wall, paving slabs with intentionally made cavities underneath, this will increase the success rate.

Most bumble bee species need a dry space about the size a football, with a narrow entrance tunnel approximately 2cm in diameter and 20 cm long. Most species nest underground along the base of a linear feature such as a hedge or wall. Sites need to be sheltered and out of direct sunlight.

There is a spectacular display of wild bee hotels here

More about bumblebees and solitary bees here

Information about the Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum)

Barefoot Beekeeper Podcast

Now available from Lulu.com

4th Edition paperback now available from Lulu.com

See beekeeping books for details and links to ebook versions.
site map
php. BB © 2001, 2005 php. BB Group

View topic - (Video): Top Bar Hive Removal From Under Mobile Home in FL - Natural Beekeeping Network Forum