Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Wasp in top feeder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billthebee
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Wasp in top feeder Reply with quote

I removed a top feeder from my poly National the other day and found lots of dead wasps in it ?

The only way for them to get in the feeder is by the hive?

Why would the bees let wasp all the way up into the top feeder ?

Why would the wasp go all the way to the feeder when the hive has lots and lots of honey in ?

I reduced the entrance to the hive weeks ago .

I was able to see lots of bees walking around the winter feed super so they look OK ?

I see bees going in and out of the from around 10 am until around 3 pm to 3.30 pm

I stayed at the hive for 3 hours and only see bees going in and out NO WASP ?

I know it is late to be removing the top feeder but the weather is still ok in the South East the day i removed the feeder it was 18c .

I replaced the water with ambrosia bienenfutterteig feed past as a back up in case the bees need it over the winter .

If anyone can tell me what is going on with the wasp i would be very grateful .
billthebee
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: lots of help Reply with quote

well i must say out of the 54 people that looked at my post NONE of them sent me a reply .
You would think someone on this site would have some kind of reply to my problem?
Just want to say thankyou for all the help .
Have a nice XMAS and the best to you all .
Let all try to help each other to try and save the bees .HA [/b]
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There is no need for rudeness or sarcasm. Many people visit this site who are not members or are new and inexperienced beekeepers, who have no understanding of bees or wasps yet and therefore have no answer to give.
Also this is a "natural" beekeeping forum so many of us have no experience of poly Nationals.

I'm not entirely sure why you feel this is such an urgent question that warrants you to be so testy at not getting an immediate reply. Wasps die off at this time of year, so even if they have been targeting your hive, it will not be a problem now that the cold weather is here.
My thoughts would be that the wasps were probably getting in a tiny gap somewhere between the feeder suoer and the hive body or perhaps under the roof but without seeing your set up, it's impossible for any of us to say what might be going on.

I have been surprised on several occasions as to how insignificant a hole a wasp can get through. Generally the best way to figure it out is to observe the hive regularly (daily if possible) whilst you are feeding them. It is one of the reasons I recommend people keep their hives in the garden at home if at all possible. If you only visit your apiary once a week or fortnight a hive can be wiped out in between times.
It sounds like you have been lucky unless the bee activity you were seeing in the hive is other bees robbing the it out. Did you see any pollen being taken in?

If you intend to remain a member of this forum could I ask you to update your profile details to include more information about your location. This is an international community and I have no idea where Wilmington is, although I am guessing it is in the UK since you mention Poly Nationals. It is one of the rules of the forum to include COUNTRY and STATE/COUNTY as a minimum. Beekeeping is very affected by seasons/local conditions/weather. Therefore it is important to know where someone is in the world in order to give appropriate advice. It also helps people form local support groups and helps the moderators to weed out spammers and non genuine members.

It is also polite when joining a community to introduce yourself and tell us a bit more about your set up, experience and goals/interests. There is a section of the forum set up for this purpose and hopefully we will learn more about you there and why you were drawn to our Natural Beekeeping website.

Best wishes

Barbara
billthebee
New Bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well stand by your beds the sergeant is around.

It is one of the rules of the forum to include COUNTRY and STATE/COUNTY as a minimum.

If this is the case then why was i able to join without doing so?

I'm not entirely sure why you feel this is such an urgent question .

Well it not hard i obviously looked at it as being a urgent question .

I know people like yourself think you have the right to order people around and tell them they have to tell you everything but we do not have to tell you everything .

We do not have to tell you anything if we do not want to so get off your high horse and get down to earth this is a bee forum and not the local nick .

I get the feeling from your reply that as i use poly national hives that it is not natural beekeeping well i can tell you it is my bee live in hives there natural was just like they do in my top bar hives and my rose hives .

So thankyou for your reply sorry if it upsets you but i will tell people what i want to tell them and not what you tell me i have to .
jumbleoak
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to have a Bill from Kent (or thereabouts) some years ago. It was entertaining for a while, till he got banned - or just left the forum.

Just wondering...
billthebee
New Bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i have never been on this site before but i can see why this Bill moved on or got banned .

Some people do not like the truth.

You talk to people like you own them then people with a back bone tend to stand up and say what they think .

All i did was ask a question and got some smart ass telling me what to do and that my question was not important .

This is a beekeeping forum not the Army / secret service or the old bill some of you need to grow up and see this site for what it is A BEEKEEPING FORUM .
jumbleoak
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're first reply was sarcastic, so don't play the victim too much. I was one of those that read your original post and didn't reply - because I had nothing useful to say. But, as you acknowledged, the 'sergeant' did answer your question.

Barbara is a forum Admin, and like the other Admins, has consistently applied this silly rule about member's adding their location. That said, it's one of the few rules; it's otherwise a pretty easy-going place. If you are from Wilmington in Kent, UK then why not just add that to your location, now? If not, you could probably make up a location if you don't want to give your real one away.
Norm
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briefly, it was me, when I was admin of this forum, who instigated the requirement for adding your location. Having experienced beekeeping in 3 countries all with different climates, I had realized that what may be good advice in one location may well be bad advice in another! This being a worldwide forum, knowing someones general location (not necessarily exact) will hopefully lead to area appropriate responses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> URGENT Help needed now! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: