Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
My Bees survived?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, USA and CA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: My Bees survived? Reply with quote

Hi all, great to see nice weather and I was anxious to see my bees coming out because we had such nice weather a couple weeks ago. But nothing, so I thought they died. I also couldn't see any bees from the observation window. Finally I saw movement around the entrences off all three hives that I have in my back yard. All with different amount of activity. So I fed them syrup one to one ratio. Today is nice and it will get cold tomorrow and Sunday with snow and temperatures going down to 28 F. do I need to be concerned. I presume the bees know what to do. Sorry but I am still learning.
Regards

Uwe Wink
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Pleased to hear your bees have made it this far.

Not a good idea to be feeding them syrup when the weather is still cold and wintery, particularly 1:1 syrup as it produces a lot of condensation in the hive which can chill the bees. It also stimulates them to produce brood but if they can't get out to forage, because of a cold spell it can actually lead to them starving, so possibly counter productive.

In my opinion it's far better to give them fondant if you think they are short on supplies until Spring is really here and the flowers are producing a nectar flow which will enable them to ramp up brood production and keep them in harmony with their environment.
Trip
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about feeding them the 1-1 syrup. Your cold weather is a day or two only event and you will be back to glorious spring weather in a couple of days. I would wait on feeding them more until you can confirm they actually need it. Your temps will be in the 60s&70s this week and you should be able to do a quick inspection for stores then. But I suspect your spring weather will be permanent by then and they will take care of themselves.
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: spring Reply with quote

Thanks, I was just searching on the internet and found the bee calendar and in march it says that the bees are now probably running out of Honey. So I thought just to be on the save side I fed them some syrup. just to give them some help to start again. because my two bee hives I had the year before which I lost I didn't take any honey last year from the new colonies so they would survive the winter, which they have. When is it the best time to harvest?

I also build another hive incase they are swarming and I can catch them.
Regards
uwe
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can harvest as soon as there is a good nectar flow and they can replace what you take.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, USA and CA All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: