Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
illegal bee seizure in Illinois

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, USA and CA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
muddymom
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: illegal bee seizure in Illinois Reply with quote

Check out the site globalresearch.ca/globalresearch.org. a well established knowlegable beekeeper in Illinois has had his apiary raided and bees removed without a warrant or a day in court. He was developing a Roundup resistant line of bees. The person who inspected his apiary is also believed to have killed several queens while inspecting his hives--without the beekeeper being present.
This beekeeper has had bees for years and speaks plainly about what occurred.
It seems the inspector was following orders as she seems lacking in even the basic understanding of bee biology or diseases.
Are we entering a time when large chemical companies can dictate what actions the Dept. of Agriculture does.
If so welcome to the new police state in the USA.
(by the way apiaries in Illinois are moving out or refusing to register their hives according to the article)
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this story so many times, I am getting bored with it!

'Roundup-resistant bees' is a non-sequitor - Roundup is a herbicide, not an insecticide, so they would have no need to become 'resistant' to it. Bees would not be visiting plants that have been killed by a herbicide!

I strongly suspect that this story has little foundation in fact and has been spun by somebody for unknown reasons. It is entirely possible that the Illinois inspectors were working well within their rights and had good reason to think this guy - who, lets face it, doesn't sound like the easiest person to deal with - had AFB in his apiary and was trying to cover it up.

I don't know the background, but there is something about this story that does not ring true to me.

Of course, I may be wrong, and if anyone can shed more light on it, be my guest!
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Roundup is an herbicide it can also burn the skin when freshly applied. The notion of a Roundup-proof bee is quite odd . However, I can see how it would harm bees or any other insects present whilst it was applied.

Of course, if Monsanto is involved then all bets are off. I can only hope they have no presence in the UK to spread their mischief.
usngunner
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: illegal bee seizure in Illinois Reply with quote

muddymom wrote:
Check out the site (link deleted as I'm a newbie). a well established knowlegable beekeeper in Illinois has had his apiary raided and bees removed without a warrant or a day in court.

I know this is an old necropost, but this case gets bandied about freely though. I heard about it when I was getting started. I started digging.

The apiary had American Foul Brood in the hives. Bad. He had been warned several times to get it taken care of. He did not. The state did rather than risk it spreading. That is from a friend in the area familiar with the case.

Had the Beek stepped up, it wouldn't have happened.
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: illegal bee seizure in Illinois Reply with quote

usngunner wrote:
Had the Beek stepped up, it wouldn't have happened.

So, due process goes out the window if you are found to have AFB?

From the article:

Quote:
Ingram can prove his bees did not have foulbrood, and planned to do so at a hearing set in April, but the state seized his bees at the end of March. They have not returned them and no one at the Ag Dept. seems to know where his bees are.

It is traditional to destroy only the hives infected with AFB and not to confiscate an entire apiary. Something doesn't ring true here...
madasafish
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having experienced AFB at first hand, any beekeeper who does not investigate it properly at once he suspects it, and then destroys the bees (as is the UK treatment).. is a risk to ALL neighbouring beekeepers .

Period. Think of it like Ebola for bees but much worse.

No sympathy at all.
DurangoKid
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, I am not advocating for sympathy nor for the beekeeper in question. I am simply advocating for the rule of law. In the US, a legitimate warrant must be served at the time of entry onto private property. British law is not much different. Albeit some of the requirements for warrantless entry are less stringent.
madasafish
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK, Bee Inspectors have right of entry to land on which they believe bees are kept. That right only serves to allow inspection of the bees.
Trip
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DurangoKid wrote:
In the US, a legitimate warrant must be served at the time of entry onto private property.

Not necessarily a "must". There are many exceptions that allow law enforcement onto private land without a warrant. Land also has less stringent requirements than homes as well as more exceptions to the warrant rule.

In this particular case we have absolutely no context or details as to what actually occurred so it's impossible to make a determination if the rule of law was followed. If it was not the beekeeper has lots of remedies. Strange though that their are no follow on pieces of the beekeeper pressing those remedies and winning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, USA and CA All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: