Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Looking for a video

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WalvoordA
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:54 am    Post subject: Looking for a video Reply with quote

Hello, I am looking for a video if one exists on how to attach a comb to a top bar by sewing it on as described in The Barefoot Beekeekper. I am a new beekeeper and put a package of bees into a top bar hive last wednesday. Yesterday I checked to see if the queen was out and found the small comb I attached with a sling came right off when I removed the cage that was next to it. The bees had attached the cage to the comb with wax but it all came off together. I also took off a couple small cross combs the bees made. I would like to give them the combs back, but secure them better. Thought I might give sewing the comb a try, but would like to see how thats done. I don't know any beekeepers in my area with top bar hives to see how they do it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Anna
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anna

Apologies if you have been looking at a load of blank replies from me. I've been having problems posting my reply.

Hopefully I now know where I have been going wrong and this will work.

There are two options that I can suggest rather than try stitching which I think will be fiddly and I have not seen a video of.

You tube is the place to look and I can recommend "outofabluesky" who uses ladies hair clips and a recent one posted by a member of this forum, Patrick Thomas which is linked below and used wire mesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33d4e3LkOaI

You may also want to think about improving the comb guides on your top bars if they are cross combing at this early stage. Unfortunately the waxed saw cut is not proving as reliable as other techniques and most people have better success with half dowel or triangular profile wooden mouldings or some sort of guild that provides a distinct ridge. Sometimes moving the orientation of the hive to align with the preferred comb direction chosen by the bees can also help as they are believed to be susceptible to the polarity of the earth.

Good luck with getting them sorted out.

Regards

Barbara
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: