Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Beekeeping suit basics and working close to annoyed bees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charentejohn
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Beekeeping suit basics and working close to annoyed bees Reply with quote

Hi
I will start with my question and then fill in the background.

I am looking to buy a suit so I can do some repairs on a hive/box and think that I may as well buy a suit so I can wotk up close when needed.
As an example I have sen this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bee-suit-ALL-SIZES-Medium/dp/B00BO3FDPO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462800093&sr=8-3&keywords=simonthebeekeeper which seems ok.
I am not asking for yes or no on this model but does it seem to have what a suit needs and any other things to look out for or general suggestions.
I can buy this in France, where I am, complete with gloves etc, so trousers, jacket, veil and gloves for 65 euros which seems good value.
How secure are the elasticated bits on these suits, worth taping just to be sure ?

I need to repair a bird roosting box that was occupied by a swarm 4 years ago, it is still in use (see related post on moving bees) but is starting to deteriorate. I have posted here on this so for details just look up previous posts.
A local beekeeper has offered to fit any repair sections I make but I would rather not bother him as very busy at the moment.
Also it would help if I could do basic tasks myself.
I don't harvest the honey so don't bother them much jsut want to be safe when messing with the box they are in.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fine to me, although I personally prefer the broad brimmed hat type veil rather than the fencing style that this is, but nothing wrong with the one advertised, it's just a matter of personal preference.
charentejohn
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I thought these would be much the same just some better thought out than others.
I noticed they mentioned extra elbow room, seems a sore point (pardon the pun) from other reviews I read. Just things like that I am interested in.

I only need this occasionally, hopefully about twice a year ? as I would rather leave them to their own devices. But if I need to intervene then decent protection would be my choice. My last 'stinging' was from about 6 wasps after I inadvertently strimmed their nest in a load of pampas grass, no wish to repeat that.

Seems a decent price point, I have seen them from £15 to £100 so usually the middle is a good place to start, especially for an occasional amateur like myself. I do like bees and even set up an insect area, tubes, bamboo etc for wild bees (actually in use) but I also have log piles etc. Nice to see them about and they don't bother anybody, just when you mess them about.
Tavascarow
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a new jacket & veil & It's fine but made from lighter weight fabric than my old sherriff smock.
But it was a third of the price.
You get what you pay for so cheap will mean lighter weight.
No bee suit bar heavy canvas (which would be uncomfortable & hot to wear) is going to be sting proof.
It's primary purpose is to stop bees getting in & getting you & them in a flap whilst they crawl around in your underwear.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Natural_Beekeeping/index.php?showforum=4
http://www.fotothing.com/Tavascarow
charentejohn
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I guess nothing is perfect.
Basically such as this type of suit should do for me. Just up to me to minimise exposure and keep annoyance to a minimum.
Even my local beekeper said he gets stung 20 ish times a year, and he has proper gear and knows what he is doing. Smile
rmcpb
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any suit is better than none. Don't get too hung up on it. There is no problem starting with a cheap one and getting a better one later if you stick to the hobby. As for stings, they happen and are cause of great concern to most in the beginning but unless you are truely allergic your reaction usually lessens over time. Stings are part of beekeeping.

Cheers
Rob.
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a lot of kit from the same supplier. Generally well made to a budget. It's worth checking his own website and ebay as he also sells the same things there sometimes at different prices. You might save a few Euros! Cool
charentejohn
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I should be ok with stings, no allergic reactions so far, only allergy is to unnecessary pain. But I think we all have that one.

I did think the suit I looked at seemed decent, I will look around for the other sources.

Is just a smock, no trousers, setup ok or are jeans not enough and offer too many entry points ? I could tape round the ankles but not the waist really.
Tavascarow
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the suit is fine weave & clean the bees wont try to sting through it.
I've worked some aggresive colonies & the bees fly at the face & sting the hands.
I've had bees crawling all over me but they rarely try to sting unless you agitate them.
Learning to stay calm & not over react.
Learning how to work efficiently but with care & know when a colony is saying enough is enough it's time to close up & come back another day is my best advice.
One more.
Always tuck your trousers in your socks or wear wellies.
There is nothing more disconcerting than felling a bee crawling up your inner leg towards your nether regions. I know Wink
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavascarow wrote:
Always tuck your trousers in your socks or wear wellies.

Bees sting through socks. Just ask Phil!

I wear wellies or walking boots. Suit inside wellies, tight around the top of walking boots.
rmcpb
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeans are fine. I never tuck my jeans into my socks as that exposes your ankles with just the sicks for protection. Bees up your trousers are not generally a problem, all they want to do is get out.

Cheers
Rob.
charentejohn
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, the fact they go for face and hands (exposed skin I guess) makes sense. The time the wasps stung me it was all on the head, how do they know.

Neighbour was worried about then but I just waved my hand in front of the entrance and said hi girls how are things going, totally ignored. Unless really upset not a problem, food and work seem to mean you are very low prority Smile
Tavascarow
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charentejohn wrote:
Thanks again, the fact they go for face and hands (exposed skin I guess) makes sense. The time the wasps stung me it was all on the head, how do they know.

Neighbour was worried about then but I just waved my hand in front of the entrance and said hi girls how are things going, totally ignored. Unless really upset not a problem, food and work seem to mean you are very low prority Smile

Carbon dioxide apparently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: