Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Spray advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Environmental issues, GM, pesticides and campaigning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BridgetB
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Spray advice Reply with quote

Good news is that the gardens where I have 1 colony at present - we had a good meeting last week. In the garden itself they don't use pesticides and the roundup on the paths is done with a new gadget which has a shield so the dose is low and contained to that area to reduce drift. It turns out that the communication to the farm about the bees had failed hence not being informed about the spraying and resulting sick bees. I have now heard from the farm liaison person who is very happy to let me know about future spraying:

So what do other people do to protect their bees when they know the field nearby is going to be sprayed? How well does it work? What are others experiences?
catchercradle
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our area, the local BBKA get people to fill in a form that in theory means they get allerted if there is spraying close to them. None of my hives are within a mile of any fields now so I don't know if the system works or not.
BridgetB
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really meant, when do you close them up and open them? etc. Has anyone had a notification, closed their bees in and then opened them and has it helped to protect them?
catchercradle
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of the conventional Beeks around here close them up the night before and open them 24 hours after spraying completed. I suspect this is find when the spray is fungicide on wheat but if on flowering crops I might want to go an extra day?

Dave
BridgetB
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Do they use foam or mesh to block, or something solid, what about ventilation? a day and a half is a long time. I haven't had this problem till now as my other apiaries are surrounded by woodland and pasture.
catchercradle
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They use mesh. Like most conventional beeks these days they all have open mesh floors so ventilation isn't too much of a problem for them.
BridgetB
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, I can just lower the floor board and hope that the mesh is still intact. I think it is. It is hard to tell because I think they transfer honey through the mesh so it looks as though they are going in that way, squeezing between the board and the hive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Environmental issues, GM, pesticides and campaigning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: