Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Adding a second brood box

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beeb
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Adding a second brood box Reply with quote

Hello all!I have acquired a strong single brood of italian bees ....I would like to give them a second brood box to fill before I consider taking Honey....Can someone please tell me the best time to do this please?

or

Would I be better off making a split which would give them the extra room they need as a result?

Im in the South West of Australia so Its our Winter here now....Our Spring starts in September.

Thanks
Beeb
AndyC
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that on a framed/foundation hive?

If so:

The answer is if you need more colonies split them, if not add a brood box when they need it and that's likely to be in the spring.

If you split you are unlikely to get a honey crop that season.

When they need it is when the queen is running out of laying space and the workers out of storage space.

Does that help?
rmcpb
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeb,

Get your second box and frames ready and put them on when the spring flow starts. If the weather is warm and they are bringing in nectar and pollen they will explode into the second box. Consider putting the two outer frames from the original box into the centre of the new top box to get them climbing up into the new box.

Cheers
Rob.
beeb
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyC wrote:
Is that on a framed/foundation hive?

If so:

The answer is if you need more colonies split them, if not add a brood box when they need it and that's likely to be in the spring.

If you split you are unlikely to get a honey crop that season.

When they need it is when the queen is running out of laying space and the workers out of storage space.

Does that help?

Thanks Andy C for your reply ..yes that helps..cheers!
beeb
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmcpb wrote:
Beeb,

Get your second box and frames ready and put them on when the spring flow starts. If the weather is warm and they are bringing in nectar and pollen they will explode into the second box. Consider putting the two outer frames from the original box into the centre of the new top box to get them climbing up into the new box.

Cheers
Rob.

Thanks Rob..Will do...Cheers
AndyC
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of warning, be aware of giving them too much room too soon,

It can be a cause of early swarm preparations.
beeb
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyC wrote:
Word of warning, be aware of giving them too much room too soon,

It can be a cause of early swarm preparations.

Thanks Andy...This is a well established Hive that was kindly given to me to get me started so Im unsure as to how long the hive has been operating but they appear to be very active and aggressive when my daughter accidentally kicked a ball at the entrance!!..We all had to come running in from the garden as they were attacking us so I guess thats a good sign of there strength to defend themselves.
Im not interested in their honey this year as I would prefer to wait until there is surplus ie...third box....Im just unsure as to when to interfere to make the next progression..I guess Swarm season is approaching....Spring? so I have got a trap ready but not yet baited....as I said spring is not till September here...Im still unsure as to just add another brood box this season or to make a split ..if I was to do either would I do this just before Spring starts to reduce the chance of Swarming????
AndyC
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would read up on swarm management and re-queening if I were you.

Getting the hive to a place where balls can't accidentally hit it and where the bees can do what they do without coming into conflict with your family I would say is your first priority.

The occasional sting when handling bees is part of the game but being chased and seriously stung is not something I would wish on anyone least of all my family.
druidsgarden
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they on Langstroths? If so I'd be adding another deep late August or as soon as the temperature hits consistently above 15 C / 59 F as bee's will definitely be flying at that point looking for forage.

Then as soon as they have drawn and filled half of that box and are looking interested in the other frames, start sticking on supers, if you get a nectar flow they'll be filling them so fast you might not be able to keep up. I've seen a super filled in a week in the UK.

As you are in Oz, I suspect beekeeping is a little different than the soggy UK, you have much longer seasons and the honey flow is only restricted by the number of nectar bearing flowers, shrubs and trees and rainfall.

If you want to manage the split, you need to work the boxes, checking through them to see if they have any Queen cells formed. As soon as you see uncapped ones, that's the time to split them.

My only problem with allowing natural swarming is that it's unpredictable and if they are a particularly strong colony, you could have multiple cast swarms as well as the prime which just depletes the colony down and down. I just can't do that here as I'd have very upset neighbours (as proved by the year I did just that! )

I agree with AndyC though about requeening, if they are at all aggressive when you go near them, you need to requeen. You do not want to be handling a really grumpy hive especially as a first time beekeeper, I had one in my second or third year and I very nearly gave up there and then. It was a horrendous experience.
beeb
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyC wrote:
I would read up on swarm management and re-queening if I were you.

Getting the hive to a place where balls can't accidentally hit it and where the bees can do what they do without coming into conflict with your family I would say is your first priority.

The occasional sting when handling bees is part of the game but being chased and seriously stung is not something I would wish on anyone least of all my family.

Thanks Andy I will address all of the above..Regards
Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: