Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Ants

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenny Mc
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Ants Reply with quote

Does anyone know what I can do about ants?They weren't there last night,but this morning they are all over the hive.I have physically removed as many as possible,but they are sure to be back.What is a bee safe method os dealing with them?
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to know something of the hive type.

If it's raised on legs, sticky bands around the legs or place the legs in tubs of mineral oil. Make sure there are no plants that touch the hive as ants will find them and use them to access the hive still.

If the hive is on blocks, you can still isolate the hive in the same way, but it's much more complicated. Other may have better suggestions if this is the case.
Adam Rose
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you feeding your bees at the moment ? Often the main cause of ants in the hive is feeding sugar syrup.
AndyC
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see them on the outside but not inside my hives except when I have seperate feeders under the top.

Do the bees deal with them if they enter the hive?
Jenny Mc
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hive is a layens,which I know is not brilliant,and I am hoping a warre is going to arrive this week for me to transfer them into.The hive is on blocks and I will try and isolate them now.I think the mistake I made was putting a wasp trap with some juice in it near the hive to get rid of some wasps.I am not feeding the bees because they are bringing in a lot of pollen at the moment.I was hoping not to inspect the hive again until I transfer them into their new hive.Thanks for all your prompt answers.I'm off now to see what I can set up.
I
Jenny Mc
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Andyc,I didn't answer your question.I haven't seen any interaction between bee and ant.I think the ants are still trying to gain access.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem with ants getting into a British National hive with a very small weak colony earlier in the year. They were all over the crown board and I think even considering or had perhaps started setting up a nest in the roof space. I covered the holes in the crown board and then dusted it and inside the roof with ground cinnamon using a soft brush to work it into all the cracks and crevices. I needed to repeat the treatment once and they got the message and the hive is free of them now and the colony doing well. The hive in question is sitting on a low stone wall with two others, so preventing the ants getting up to it was going to be difficult. The ground cinnamon certainly seemed to curtail their interest. I'm not sure I would use it inside the hive itself as it will affect the nest scent and it may also repel the bees, but some people mix it with petroleum jelly and paint a band of it onto the legs of their hive/stand.

I hope you find it similarly effective.

Regards

Barbara
Jenny Mc
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Barbara,that sounds like a good mixture I can put on the blocks.I have relocated the wasp trap(which I now call an ant hotel )in the opposite direction as well, so hopefully they will go towards that again.
Adam Rose
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be interested in this : http://honeybeesuite.com/ants-beehive-help-your-colony/.
Jenny Mc
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.Very helpful.I never really thought about ants and bees being related,but when you think about it they have a lot in common.
Ariel
New Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another user on a previous post recommended placing tomato leaves around the hive to deter ants. I tried it out as there had been a trail of ants going in to the hive for quite a while. Over that week the ants pretty much disappeared and I have not seen any since (about 1 month ago, only applying leaves once)
Jenny Mc
House Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the vasaline and cinnamon method with success,but we are always having ant problems here ,so I will do the tomato leaves next Thanks.
JGW07
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ants are often found on tomato plants, so I'm not sure why they would be repelled by the leaves in a hive. When I wanted to keep ants out of a hive, I placed the legs on ashtrays. I set the legs on the raised center and filled the tray with water to make a moat. The trays look like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TXXMSK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687762&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004KITH0C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=VVRFTKM7TYK262QSMQF3
Beeblebrox
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Ants Reply with quote

It sounds like your hive is above or very near an ants nest. Dig around with a trowel, once you find it kill it.

Don't use an insecticide or other poison! Boiling water probably best (unless this scorches roots of valued plants nearby)

You can also sprinkle cinnamon dust or plant Marigolds round the hive, which doesn't kill ants but they don't like it and it will encourage survivors to move their nest. Bees don't mind marigolds, but don't get cinnamon dust near the hive itself, not good to upset the smells in the hive.

The ants are attracted to sugar, syrup etc. The bees should be able to keep them away from capped honey and vulnerable brood but can't be everywhere at once. Minimise gaps in the hive walls / around frames. A mesh floor is not good in this circumstance, it is like an open door to ants.
AndyC
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure the go-to answer has to be kill, kill, kill.

Put some tomato plant leaves under the lid and let them live in peace with your bees, as they have done for millions of years.
Carol Scott
New Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Ants and Bees Reply with quote

Thanks to all for ideas to disperse and prevent ants entering hive I shall experiment with petroleum jelly and cinnamon and cut away any grass that may be swaying towards the hive. Carol
Jenny Mc
House Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you andy.I don't want to kill anything.That was not my intention when I started with my bees.I am able to observe my hive any time of day or night,and I watched the situation wjth facsination.The ants were discouraged by a little cinnamon and now the hive is established the bees can tack care of themselves.
Carol Scott
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Ants and petrolium jelly Reply with quote

Thanks to all for suggestions. My hTBH is on legs and so I smeared the Vaseline and cinnamon concoction round each leg and watched as ants gave up the attempt. Looking inside on the top of the bars there are no eggs but a few ants which I have brushed off again. Opinion seems to be that ants do no harm, but I shall use this solution around the other two hives as well.
AndyC
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGW07 wrote:
Ants are often found on tomato plants, so I'm not sure why they would be repelled by the leaves in a hive. When I wanted to keep ants out of a hive, I placed the legs on ashtrays. I set the legs on the raised center and filled the tray with water to make a moat. The trays look like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TXXMSK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687762&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004KITH0C&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=VVRFTKM7TYK262QSMQF3

Yes climbing up the stems but I don't often see them out on the leaves.

Maybe it's an old wives tale?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> URGENT Help needed now! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: