Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Top bar hives in or around Cheshire???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, UK and Ireland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grOmmet
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Top bar hives in or around Cheshire??? Reply with quote

Is there anybody out there....????
Am seeking like-minded folk to share ideas and experiences, hive construction and management, etc., with ... but am feeling really isolated!!
The more I read about the "establishment" approach to beekeeping, the more convinced I am that it's NOT the path for me..
I fully intend to increase bee stocks and hives here, and around the area but with limited hands on experience this presents challenges....

In Anticipation,
grOmmet
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Top bar hives in or around Cheshire??? Reply with quote

grOmmet wrote:

Is there anybody out there....????
Am seeking like-minded folk to share ideas and experiences, hive construction and management, etc., with ... but am feeling really isolated!!
The more I read about the "establishment" approach to beekeeping, the more convinced I am that it's NOT the path for me..
I fully intend to increase bee stocks and hives here, and around the area but with limited hands on experience this presents challenges....

In Anticipation,
grOmmet
Hi grOmmet

I think you're surrounded! N Wales, Shropshire, S Lancs, Manchester all have natural beekeepers. Hope fully someone will pop up nearer to you soon!

Meanwhile, you'll find a lot of help & advice here.

John
grOmmet
New Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, John!
I live with chronic ME, which knocks the energy levels about a fair bit...
I am NOT a 'victim' however!, managing to work as a self employed entertainer and maintain a sizeable plot of raised vegetable and fruit beds plus 3x greenhouses.
We live quite frugally , kerping chickens here, as well as the TBH. This year will see us keeping jumbo quail, too..
Am converting the end of our double length garage into a workshop where I can have a go at making hives, boxes, etc.... often with six year old son under my feet at weekends and school holidays. He's keen to learn and 'help' ... and it keeps him from under his mum's feet! I'm no carpenter but, am up for having a go...
Apart from periods of 'work' , I'm often here more than not and it's always a treat to stick the kettle on and natter.
Visitors often go home with eggs and/or produce!
I look forward to feeling some human/social connection with the natural beekeeping world.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, grOmmet!

You are also well placed for the Northern Conference in August.
Adam Rose
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi grOmmet,

I'm in Whitefield, North Manchester. Where are you in Cheshire ?

Adam.
grOmmet
New Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Rose wrote:
Hi grOmmet,

I'm in Whitefield, North Manchester. Where are you in Cheshire ?

Adam.

Hi, Adam... I'm in South Cheshire [CW7].
semiautonomous
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm in Shropshire, also hoping to start beekeeping this year and also have ME. I'm in the process of building a htbh from the plans on this site, although its taking me a while because I can only do a little bit a day.

Cant be of any help with practical stuff but I'm here for moral support Smile. I have just been reading a guide to conventional beekeeping and am really appalled at the amount of messing around and intensive practices it promotes for hobbyists.

Duncan
grOmmet
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: We'll get there, Duncan!! Reply with quote

semiautonomous wrote:
Hi there, I'm in Shropshire, also hoping to start beekeeping this year and also have ME. I'm in the process of building a htbh from the plans on this site, although its taking me a while because I can only do a little bit a day.

Cant be of any help with practical stuff but I'm here for moral support Smile. I have just been reading a guide to conventional beekeeping and am really appalled at the amount of messing around and intensive practices it promotes for hobbyists.

Duncan

You're an hour down the road from us, Duncan.. I know that as my partner has family in that area.. I've got Tim Rowe's fantastic little book "Bees, Hives, Honey!" and shall be following his simple design to begin with...
Feel free to keep in touch...
grOmmet
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GrOmmet

Can I suggest that a horizontal Top Bar Hive might be better suited to someone with ME, as it doesn't involve lifting large heavy boxes of honey and bees, which I believe may be required using Tim Rose's method.
If you haven't lifted a super full of honey and tried to carefully and gently put it back down without squashing bees, I can tell you it is not easy, even for a fully fit person who has experience of handling bees. A horizontal top bar hive means you only need to lift one bar at a time, which is much less exhausting.

I would recommend you reading "The Barefoot Beekeeper" if you haven't already.

Shame you can't make it to the Convention in August, but good to see that there are one or two local-ish members that are popping up to say "hello".
It is worth going along to your local BBKA meeting and making some contacts there. Not everyone will follow all the conventional practices and it will at least enable you to get some hands on experience of practical beekeeping and perhaps help you to acquire a swarm to populate your hive. There may even be other new beeks there who have not heard there is an alternative option, whom you can turn from the "dark side" before they get sucked in!!! Wink

Regards

Barbara
grOmmet
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara wrote:
Hi GrOmmet

Can I suggest that a horizontal Top Bar Hive...

[ADMIN NOTE: Please refrain from quoting entire posts. It wastes bandwith and readers' time. Thanks for your co-operation.]

Thanks for the kind message, Barbara...
I won't be venturing into framed hives and the lifting which that entails just yet... if at all!! [ although I have NO problem enlisting physical help when anything heavy crops up here, at the homestead!!].

Having lived with the limitations of my condition for just over 20 years, now, I've learned how to manage my energies in order to keep up with 16x 8ftx4ft raised vegetable beds, a 26ftx5ft raised soft fruit bed, 2x 8ftx6ft greenhouses and a 12ftx8ft one, too...
I keep chickens and am in the process of setting up a small flock of Jumbo Quails... [with a little help from my partner, 6 yr old son .. and friends, that is!!]

I have read Tim Rowe's EXCELLENT little book "Bees, Hives, Honey!" Which I would recommend to ANYONE looking at the horizontal option.
Tim worked with local school children in/around his native Co.Cork and produced this simple, well thought out introductory text...
Upon hearing that my 6yr old son was interested in the whole beekeeping thing, a mutual friend persuaded Tim to dedicate a pre-release copy to him as a birthday gift... Daddy's read it several times!!
Amongst other publications, here, I also have a copy of Tim's book on the Rose Hive Method... although I'm leaning more towards finding my feet with HTBHs !
I'm currently devouring a copy of Barefoot... and spending lots of time looking at online resources...

My colony of Carniolan type bees was delivered to Cheshire late one night in September 2012 ... following a drive up from Hampshire.
It's housed in a [now slightly dilapidated] HTBH of uncertain origin... but I have plans to set up a small workshop at the end of the garage, in order to construct some TB bait boxes and a couple more HTBHs... mindful of the fact that I need to get underway soon...
[so, if anyone fancies coming to play... gissa yell!! ]

I'm a little shy of attending our local BBKA meetings as my condition causes me to lack confidence in social situations where there's a lot going on, multiple stranded conversations, and lots of info to take on board...
It's left me with a kind of mild learning disability, meaning that I am consequently easily confused and fail to remember stuff correctly..

Given some personal contact.. along with some more experience of handling the bees [ which will become necessary when I re-house the current colony into their new hive ] and preventing / catching swarms... I feel that I could build sufficient confidence to call in to see the local BKA guys...
Sadly I'm currently in need of someone to either walk beside me.. or hold my hand and gently lead.. as I don't intend to leave it to another emergency response "cavalry charge beekeeper" to come and remove another absconded swarm from next door's tree!!

I hope that the above serves as an explanation as to why, after some research and online exploration, I came to dip my toes in the waters here!!
Birdsnbees
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Cheshire TBH's Reply with quote

Hi Grommet,
I'm in CW5 with an unoccupied horiz TBH & a mentor with 9 not far away. My Bees are in other structures, will get my TBH going shortly.
Keep in touch
Regards
Birdsnbees
Yogibear
New Bee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Top bar hives in or around Cheshire??? Reply with quote

Maybe a little late, but I'm here in CW8 aside the A49 if I can be of help, just shout. Arrow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, UK and Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: