Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Anyone in mid Devon?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, UK and Ireland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RuthK
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Anyone in mid Devon? Reply with quote

I'm near Chulmleigh and would be glad to hear from anyone in the area from South Molton down to Crediton and Exeter. New to beekeeping and just starting to build my first TBH (with barn roof bars, if anyone's interested?)
helenfc
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm in Great Torrington..which is a bit further away, but do not seem to be any groups up here!

We are just starting out also. Have bought a very small top-bar on ebay with the optimistic thought of catching/luring a swarm this year, and planning to build a Warre hive ready for next year.

I would love to meet people who have similar thoughts on beekeeping, as though the local group is full of very nice friendly people, they all use National Hives, so may not be able to advise me on top-bars.

Helen Smile
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a group based at Welcombe - Atlantic Coast Friends of the Bees - see http://suenmicksnaturalbeekeeping.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/atlantic-coast-friends-of-bees.html
RuthK
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Hello Helen! Reply with quote

Hi! That's not too far from me, especially as I often go to RHS Rosemoor - as I expect your bees will too! Last winter I tried to contact my local beekeeping community via their website, but had no reply, possibly because of the time of year. But as far as I know, they all have National hives.

I went on Phil's beginners course at Welcombe earlier this month, which I found very enlightening. There's another course coming up in October which I'm hoping to get to, which should deal with actually managing the hive. I've found Phil's books useful, and must admit I'm hoping his next one about managing a top-bar hive will come out soon, and definitely before I get a colony going!

I met Sue and Mick of the Atlantic Coast Friends of the Bees while I was on the course at Welcombe, and found them extremely friendly and helpful, so they will be my first port of call for advice.
helenfc
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Biobee.

And hello Ruth!

Yeah, I love Rosemoor, actually used to work in the office there some years ago, but have neglected it of late - we have three kids and although they like gardening there's a limit to how many times they will walk around big gardens, they'd rather be up a tree!

I don't think I'd be able to afford a course right now, so all my info is coming from books and the web, but would love to meet up with a group some time to chat about it all. Welcombe is around 25 miles, so doable every few months maybe.

I went on a taster day at the weekend, which my friends bought as a birthday pressie, and actually got to hold a frame of bees..I was a bit nervous at first, but was replaced by a feeling of awe, they are so beautiful Smile
RuthK
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, the course I went on was a birthday present too!

Books are a great resource, and I've found the little videos on this site very helpful too. I think as I learn more I'll have tons of questions - at the moment I don't know what I don't know, if you see what I mean!

I only found out there was such a thing as a top-bar hive a few months ago. I'd planned to keep bees a couple of years ago, and went on a weekly course which was quite a way from me. I gave up going when I found I couldn't get there in time after other commitments, but I went for long enough to understand that traditional beekeeping was way too expensive and technical for me. I'd kind of given up on the idea until I found this website. This way of having bees is much more in line with my live-and-let-live philosophy of life! Plus, I enjoy a bit of woodworking so the prospect of actually making the hives definitely appealed.

I'm sure there will be plenty of experienced people on this site to answer your questions and give advice Smile
josephinesthompson
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Mid Devon! Reply with quote

Hello Ruth and Helen and Biobees Smile
I am in North Tawton, not far from you. I haven't got a hive yet and have limited but growing knowledge. I have been looking for anyone near by who uses top bar hives and have found you. Would it be possible to come and visit you and your bees sometime? I have written a little more about myself in the introduction bit but have to hurry to work now....
All the best,
Josephine
sdolly
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Josephine, We run the group in Welcombe, if you are interested in joining, I'm just about to put a post up under our group listing, take a look. If you can't find it, email me at welcombedollimores@yahoo.co.uk Sue
josephinesthompson
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Back to the bees Reply with quote

Hi there. So almost 2 years and a baby later I am planning on making it happen this spring.
I am looking for someone to share a hive with. I have the hive, a self built (made with my carpenter father) western red cedar top bar hive situated in a small woodland owned by my family. The woodland is in mid Devon close to Sampford Courtenay station 3miles from Okehampton. I have a suit, gloves, a hive tool and a love and fascination for honey bees. I am looking for someone with knowledge and experience in natural beekeeping who could share the job of keeping bees with me. Two years ago I attended a course in natural bee keeping at Embercombe and have since done a lot of reading and research but haven't the confidence or experience to keep bees on my own. If you are at all interested please send me a message.
Thanks,
Josephine
downfarm
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

We are currently setting up a small organic market garden just outside of Winkleigh. We are very interested in keeping bees here to help with pollination of our crops and to help improve the overall biodiversity of the site. Im planning on building a top bar hive.... although in reality we probably won't have the time this year to do so. So if anyone is looking for somewhere to keep and raise their bees get in touch, you would be very welcome to keep your hive here. Please get in touch if you have any more questions.

Henry Allison
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, UK and Ireland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: