Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
TBH material, leylandii cypress

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmkeatinge
New Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: TBH material, leylandii cypress Reply with quote

I've been offered some 25mm leylandii timber to build my first TBH. On the timber databases it seems suitable, but when fresh it does have a rather strong fragrance/smell. Does anyone know if this could be a problem for the bees? Or the honey?

Also, shellac for the inside seems a great idea, but I use tung oil and Danish oil quite a lot on other woodwork. It gives a very nice tough waterproof coat and is easier to get and to apply than shellac. Again, would the bees object to it?
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The honest answer on both counts is that I don't know for sure, but bees are attracted to some strong smells (urine, for example) and repelled by others. Probably best to err on the side of caution and use a blowlamp to scorch the inside surface of the hive, Japanese style, rather than use oil.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome

I've certainly seen bees swarm into a leylandii so they mustn't find it totally repugnant.

I've never used shellac. I just scrunch up a fistful of old brood comb and give the sides of the hive a good scrub with it and then lightly scorch it with a blow torch and then scrape off any charred debris with a hive tool. It works best if you warm the surface with the blow torch before scrubbing with the compressed comb and then scorch after.
I don't know anything about tung oil or Danish oil but would be wary of introducing anything that wouldn't naturally occur in the hive.

Regards

Barbara
Houstonbees
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Barbara---Do not coat the inside of the hive body with anything not naturally occurring in a hive. The Warre's I built using plain pine boards have all been coated on the inside with propolis creating a natural waterproof sealant.
rmkeatinge
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I will try the leylandii timber, take your other advice, and, I hope, let you know how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Horizontal top bar hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: