Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Free Swarms for "Ethical" TBH BK's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John R
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Free Swarms for "Ethical" TBH BK's Reply with quote

I help ethically minded BK's and the bees by providing free swarms to like minded people, those that use TBH's or non-conventional hives too. The deal is that you put the bees first, no killing queens, taking honey to replace with sugar, using chemicals, making money from bee exploitation, etc.

Although I live in mid-wales I travel a lot for work around the country, so can get to many places with my bee donations. If you are like minded, then please message me to show interest and I will get back to you. Last year I had over 20 swarms and those that hung around meant that I managed to rehome 10 colonies to other ethical BK's, and hope to do the same this year to see the bee colonies increase.

John
mannanin
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I applaud you for making that very charitable offer and wish you well. I used to do something very similar albeit more local and tried hard to encourage TBH and Warre enthusiasts by offering them first offer on swarms. I know that some people received negative responses from their local BBKA ( I was never a member) when starting out with anything other than a National and found themselves at the bottom of the list for swarms. I just saw it as a way of making things a little more even. I am sure you would also look kindly upon those that run their Nationals foundation free, treatment free and sugar free as I think it’s all about the ethical approach to having bees and not necessarily the hive type. Just for the record, in 10 years I have not treated, sugar fed, despatched a Queen or taken any money for honey so I think we are probably on the same hymn sheet. Good luck.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. Good to know that there are other folks around the country doing this. I started the year worrying what I was going to do with all my swarms this year, but my swarm list is now long enough to worry that I might not be able to supply everyone. Sadly there have been quite a few losses over winter so people are needing replacements and having lost one myself and two that are looking weak, it may be a lean year for swarms.
John R
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mannanin & Barbara,

Great to see and hear that there are others on the forum that have in the past or are currently taking the same approach, that's the beauty of this site, a fellowship of those that consider things a little differently from the norm perhaps? At the same time we are making beekeeping affordable for all, and less of a commercial enterprise.

Yes, the same can apply to other hive types, I too have Nationals that aren't "conventional". I have also made some boxes up that look like a national, fit under nationals, but have wooden inserts inside that make up a top bar shape, with top bars added that have bee space between them, this will enable me to put another box like this under the hive with time and ultimately transfer the comb, brood, honey across to a TBH without needing to cut comb that is a frame shape into TBH shape.
PeterH
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
This sounds like a fabulous thing to do.

I'm probably a bit too new to beekeeping to volunteer with confidence, as I only got my first swarm of bees a few weeks ago, and most of my experience is from doing my local BKA winter course, so i'm still figuring out the ethical alternatives to a lot of the commercial training they provide.

But, i have built my first hTBH complete with eco-floor which i'm determined to manage on a 'bees first' basis, and i'll shortly be starting work on my second hive, so if you get stuck finding a home for a swarm and you're in the Leeds area then do please give me a call, and i might just be ready to help out.

All the best
Peter
John R
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,
It's exciting for you to have your first swarm, a bit worrying too no doubt. It's pleasing to hear that you are going the TBH route, all in all I believe it's a great way to keep bees, both for their sake and ours, there's nothing better than making your own hive up either.
If I am stuck for swarm rehoming I will certainly drop you a note through. I sometimes go up to Wakefield, which isn't too far from you.
All the best
John
PeterH
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
Yes, Wakefield is just down the road in contrast to Wales.

And yes, you're quite right, very exciting to have a new hive and a little bit nerve wracking. Housing the swarm without seeing the queen was a particularly tense couple of days, hoping they would stay.

All the best
Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Horizontal top bar hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: