Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Healthy Bees in Texas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, USA and CA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thinking Texan
New Bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Healthy Bees in Texas Reply with quote

Looking for contact with those interested in healthy beekeeping in Texas, particularly in the the D/FW area.
Brainchild
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely interested...just about 200 miles south in Conroe.
thinking Texan
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Beekeeping Reply with quote

Just starting out with a hive I recently constructed, and I will pick up my bees in April. I used 1/4 inch hardware cloth in place of a bottom board when I constructed my hive, but looking at it wondered if this is too big a gap. Any thoughts on this?

Liked your quote from "Dune". Smile
Brainchild
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you recognized the quote!
I can't help on your question, since I don't have bees yet. I know I have seen that information around the forum, though. Somebody knows.
bilbehr
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: The Gap Reply with quote

I don't know if this is too big or not. I have one hive with 1/4", two with 1/8", and Phil has no wire, completely open, on his hive bottoms. Small Hive Beetles will not be kept out by either, but wax moths will be kept out by the smaller. I don't think this is a critical measurement, to tell the truth. With SHB, the hygienic response of the bees and the strength of the colony are two critical factors, and wax moth will not be a problem in a healthy colony either, usually. Varroa is not affected by the bottom style, except that, if you want to monitor varroa you need some device for that installed before the bees are in the hive. Texas is hot, and so an open bottom is good, I think. Here, in S GA, temperature regulation seems to be more difficult on the warm side rather than the cold side. The bees "hang out" on the bottom, and so it may seem as if the smaller opening (1/8") helps them defend this "opening," but I am not sure about that. SHB will walk in through the front door, I think, and it is up to the bees to kick them out, to jail them, or to mummify them. Either size should keep the queen in, if you want to put on a queen includer during move-in, and the smaller will keep all the bees in or out (which side are they on?).

Good beekeeping to you both. Keep us all posted, and read the stuff on SHB, contribute your experiences (you will have them).

Bill
thinking Texan
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Bottom Gap Reply with quote

Bill - Thanks for the information. Guess I will stick with the 1/4 inch and see how it goes.
beeyond
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Hello from Denton Reply with quote

I'm new to beekeeping myself. In fact I'm just finishing up my hive this weekend. I'm afraid I can't offer much help other than to cheer you on. It is great to know you're there.
DallasBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Texan -
I don't know how I missed your post - you mention the DFW area and I'm smack dab in the middle of Dallas !! (south of 635, just west of the Tollway)

Don't know where Scurry is...but it sure would be nice to have someone close to share notes with.
DallasBee (Connie)

ps - Take the Langstroth practices and apply it to the TBH.... so for screened bottom boards, Langstroth uses # 7 or 8 (need to look that up as I can't remember exactly) cloth, so use # 7 or 8.

On a Langstroth, when the super is 80% full, add another....so when your bars are 80% full, add more bars...
backyardchick
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to hear from any of you here in north Texas. I am starting my first year nad could really use someone whohas done this before to answer some questions!
DallasBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're not too far away - Trinity Valley Beekeepers Assoc (tvbees.org) has monthly meetings - first Wed of the month near White Rock Lake...
you may want to check them out for "bee keeping" basics.

once you get the basics under your belt, I am more than happy to share my experiences specifically related to the top bar hive (with the caution that I am far far from being an "expert")
backyardchick
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be at the next meeting. I attended Blake Shook's advanced beekeeping seminar in McKinney on Saturday. I am hoping to find someone with top bar hives to ask specific questions to. Thanks.
DallasBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you made it to Blake's class... I hesitated to mention it since it was over

I should be at the next meeting as well. Track me down and we can talk or send me a pm with your contact info and I'll be happy to talk with you over the phone.
Connie
backyardchick
House Bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent something through PM but not sure if it worked?
Mollywood
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Madison County near Aggie Land. I attended the Round Rock Bees (austin) class which was great. But I too would love to make contact with other TBH folks in my area. Got my first hive this spring. Cross comb madness! Just about ready to throw in the towel and let them get on with it! Every time I try to make an adjustment, I cause a comb to fall. Then wait a week for them to clean up the mess and go again. Crying or Very sad
Thirdy8special
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: I'm out by Greenville. Reply with quote

Thanks for the club info at White Rock, hope to visit next month. There's a club in Tyler(east Texas bee club?), first Thursday of the month. I'll be at the McKinney club meeting next month too. I'm starting my top bar hive next year. Built and painted my hive last week, now have a long wait. Good luck.
chsmurphy
New Bee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: dallas beekeeping Reply with quote

I live in Dallas but have my hives in Corsicana. I began beekeeping in June of 2013.
DallasBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posted under "training and events" but I'll add it here as well.

Texas Beekeeper Assoc. annual convention is in Plano TX this year. They've got 2 guys with extensive top bar hive experience. Sessions both Friday Nov 8 and Sat Nov 9 will be specific to top bar hives.

http://texasbeekeepers.org/events/2013-annual-convention/

great way to get some good information
Houstonbees
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post and say hello. I'm located on the NE side of Houston close to IAH. I'm not even through a "first year" having built my Warre and hived a package May 11th. From what I can tell so far via "weight" of the hive they've had a pretty good year. I'm 3 boxes high and my bet is that the top most box is solid honey. Pollen is still coming in (white in color, I suspect Ragweed) and a very active hive. I stuck with a solid bottom board and had a lot of bearding during the hottest/highest humidity days, but they were always back inside by morning(most of them). I've got a question though--When should I close the entrance down in size to prevent mice from getting in during winter? Seems to be too warm still to do so.
chkin11
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in north Austin area with two top bar hives in my back yard. My first year one is empty and the other is housing a caught swarm.
Balloonjuice
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears the Texas thread died last year.

I'm new and in Texas. I live in Kaufman County very near the Henderson County line.

I'm still "studying on" beekeeping. Any local help would certainly be appreciated.
Robert
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Spring Branch, Comal county, will help if I can.
RStine
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Fort Worth Reply with quote

New to bee keeping. Any groups meet in Tarrant County or west of Tarrant County?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, USA and CA All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: