Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
BBC Documentary What's killing our bees?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> TV, Video, Blogs and Other Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brijay
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: BBC Documentary What's killing our bees? Reply with quote

I understand there is a documentary on BBC2 on Friday 9th August at 9pm titled, "What's killing our bees?".

It will be presented by TV Newsreader Bill Turnbull, who is a beekeeper himself.

I wonder if the answer to the title question will be; "Modern beekeeping methods".
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brijay

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of your poll.
Are you asking members what their experience of what is killing their bees is or what the outcome of the documentary will be?

I have to be say that my bees are thriving at the moment and the causes of my colony losses over the years have almost entirely been down to my mistakes and interference, whether that has been poor hive design or bad management through me thinking I knew better than my bees.

I think most of us are not naive enough to believe there is just one factor that is contributing to colony failure worldwide and therefore will be reluctant to vote and opting for "inconclusive" makes us look like we don't believe pesticides or modern monoculture farming are a problem which they are, but neither one is the sole problem.

Also I'm not entirely sure what you mean by modern beekeeping. It could be argued that the new wave of "natural beekeepers" which accounts for most of our forum members are the "modern" trend. I think we might be viewed by many conventional beeks as causing the problem as they see our "lack" of management and treatment as potentially spreading pests and diseases to their bees.
I assume you really mean conventional practices of routinely treating hives with miticides and organic acids and antibiotics and transporting them hundreds/thousands of miles for pollination services and not respecting the integrity of the colony. It very much depends on which side of the coin you are looking from.
Personally I think we are the modern wave and I'm proud to be part of that.

Unfortunately, I don't think your poll is helpful to our cause as it oversimplifies the situation and makes us look narrow minded if we just plump for just one of your options.

Regards

Barbara
Bugscouter
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Although I don't think I would have said it as well as Barbara did.

Ron
madasafish
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot vote as there is no option for "lots of things".
Bimand
House Bee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monocultures and modern beekeeping methods weakens the colonies' resistance to pests and diseases and pesticides, especially when combined with fungicides and other chemicals, weaken them further.
Brijay
New Bee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Poll Question Reply with quote

Try not to make the question more complicated than it is.

It merely asks what you think the program will say is killing the bees. Nothing more.

Oh, and it is not intended to be helpful. Just a point of interest.
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.... who saw it and what was the outcome?
I was out last night and missed it.
Cie
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbara, it's on BBC iplayer so you can watch it there. The outcome... probably depends on your outlook; everything we're doing as human beings was the answer that I took from it, but maybe that was my view before the program.

Just another Warréor
[url=http://simplebees.wordpress.com] Simple Bees [/url] & [url=http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/warrebeekeeping/] Warré beekeeping [/url]
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cie

Did you learn anything from it? Was it worth watching or am I better off spending my time doing other things, like helping people with problems on this forum and cracking on with building my new and much needed hives.
Sounds like it just reinforced your perspective on the subject, which is something that I think we share. Not sure I need to watch something depressing that I won't get any positives from.

Regards

Barbara
Cie
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did learn something.

Bill has covered most of the bases including talking to scientists. He broke the subject down well, covering varroa, pesticides and modern agricultural practices as the main threats, but talked about urban beekeeping and why that seems to be doing well. He also covered the potential GM solution to pests but rounded it all up by saying that the problem is us.

Everyone should watch it Smile
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/tv/episode/b037y0zf

Just another Warréor
[url=http://simplebees.wordpress.com] Simple Bees [/url] & [url=http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/warrebeekeeping/] Warré beekeeping [/url]
Barbara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for that, I will find some time and make the effort.

Cheers

Barbara
madasafish
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer was "lots of things"...(as above)
Lack of variety of forage
lack of forage
monoculture
Neonics
Varroa
weather

Fairly balanced I thought..

Did not mention beekeepers killing bees.

Last edited by madasafish on Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he did a pretty decent job, considering the BBC paranoia about 'balance'. I think too much time was spent on Varroa and not enough on beekeeping methods; the importation issue was rather glossed over; no mention was made of pesticides other than neonics (esp. fungicides, herbicides, etc) and a few other niggles - such as saying 'neonics only affect insects' which is patent nonsense - but it was better than the hacked-about Martha Kearney doc of a few weeks back.
goudensjaak
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it and thought the german research using radar receivers on bees to see what the effect of neonics on the vector and landscape memory of bees trying to find the hive was very impressive.

Lost bees are something we don't easily notice, but in the program it was clearly demonstrated it does happen after the bee comes into contact with neonics.

For this alone, i would recommend watching it.
Rene
Jt
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a good stab at explaining the problem to TV land.

My view is that many problems with the environment are caused by US. What worries me is that we do not learn this lesson and leap from one crisis to another by implementing new ideas which have uncertain long term outcomes. This is evident in the policy of ripping out hedgerows to make super fields and the march towards monoculture. We then apply vast quantities of lovely chemicals to control pests. Years later we start to understand the complex relationships of bio diversity but the systems in place are now huge businesses and money is the driving factor.

Now the scientists suggest GM is the answer. With GM they argue we will need less pesticide etc.. And the effect on the natural habitat is?. This planet and supported systems have taken millions of years to evolve. I think history has shown us that changes introduced by man will in the long term kill the planet unless we change our ways.
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM will be the worst thing to happen to the natural world since the so-called "green revolution" of the last half of the last century.

The trouble started when we co-opted large swathes of the natural world to grow mono-cultural crops several thousand years ago. The beginnings of farming, in other words. This was then massively exacerbated by the green revolution of the last century when we bred up super cereals that could be made to grow in ever more inhospitable (but still largely wild) environments. But, only with the help of massive amounts of hydrocarbon derived fertilisers and pesticides.

Now, with nowhere left to grow we are developing even more super-duper strains of crops to raise the production levels of the land we already use yet further. However, this time we are not doing it by mimicking nature's natural selection processes. Instead, we are circumventing millions of years of evolution by taking characteristics from one domain and inserting them into another. This could virtually never happen in nature (barring the small amount of genetic material that can get passed around via viruses). This means that one of two things will happen.

Either we will get an arms race between GM organisms and the "pests" leading to an eventual situation where the only way anyone will be able to successfully grow crops is if they use a GM ones via the likes of Monsanto et al. Or, we will get a situation where GM organisms have been so cleverly designed that the rest of the biosphere is unable to suppress them and we will find the environment overrun by such organisms.

Insanity.
Gareth
Wise Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecook172001 wrote:

Either we will get an arms race between GM organisms and the "pests" leading to an eventual situation where the only way anyone will be able to successfully grow crops is if they use a GM ones via the likes of Monsanto et al. Or, we will get a situation where GM organisms have been so cleverly designed that the rest of the biosphere is unable to suppress them and we will find the environment overrun by such organisms.

Insanity.

If you want to see the full flavour of what deluded De Mauley wants to achieve, take a look at this: A UK strategy for agricultural technologies

Insanity doesn't even come close!

[url=http//simplebees.wordpress.com]http://simplebees.wordpress.com[/url]
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped reading when I got to this particular oxymoron (the emphasis being on moron)

Quote:
The underlying goal is sustainable intensification of our agricultural sector
Gareth
Wise Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecook172001 wrote:
I stopped reading when I got to this particular oxymoron (the emphasis being on moron)

Quote:
The underlying goal is sustainable intensification of our agricultural sector

In a contrariwise fashion, this makes sense if it means that the humans will sustain (ie continue) the process of intensification. The fact that nature is also involved, and may not sustain the process, has not occurred to the author. Thus, the blinkered, and ultimately self defeating, approach of the author is revealed by his/her own words.

[url=http//simplebees.wordpress.com]http://simplebees.wordpress.com[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> TV, Video, Blogs and Other Media All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

SPECIAL OFFER FOR UK FORUM MEMBERS - Buy your protective clothing here and get a special 15% discount! (use the code BAREFOOTBEEKEEPER at checkout and be sure to 'update basket')

Are the big energy companies bleeding you dry?

Is way too much of your hard-earned family income going up in smoke?

Are you worried about what could happen if the ageing grid system fails?

You need to watch this short video NOW to find out how YOU can cut your energy bills TO THE BONE within 30 days!

WATCH THE VIDEO NOW

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)

Conserving wild bees

Research suggests that bumble bee boxes have a very low success rate in actually attracting bees into them. We find that if you create an environment where first of all you can attract mice inside, such as a pile of stones, a drystone wall, paving slabs with intentionally made cavities underneath, this will increase the success rate.

Most bumble bee species need a dry space about the size a football, with a narrow entrance tunnel approximately 2cm in diameter and 20 cm long. Most species nest underground along the base of a linear feature such as a hedge or wall. Sites need to be sheltered and out of direct sunlight.

There is a spectacular display of wild bee hotels here

More about bumblebees and solitary bees here

Information about the Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum)

Barefoot Beekeeper Podcast

Now available from Lulu.com

4th Edition paperback now available from Lulu.com

See beekeeping books for details and links to ebook versions.
site map
php. BB © 2001, 2005 php. BB Group

View topic - BBC Documentary What's killing our bees? - Natural Beekeeping Network Forum