Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
New group forming in Teign Valley, Devon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, UK and Ireland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bendykate
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: New group forming in Teign Valley, Devon Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm a new natural beekeeper (first tbh hive put up today!) who did the fantastic beginner's' beekeeping course at Embercome earlier this month.

There are already 3/4 of us in the Teign valley (around Hennock/Ashton) practicing bee-friendly beekeeping and we'd like to set up a group for peer support & learning - if there are there others in the area who would like to join we'd welcome you.

Hope to have an inaugural meeting in the next couple of months - let me know if you're interested.

Kate
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate - good to see it happening in the Teign valley!
bendykate
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phil!
steved6530
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kate,

I am trying to do similar in Exeter so I would be interested in your attending meetings.

Steve

http://www.biobees.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9637
bendykate
House Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

You'd be welcome - perhaps we should join forces until there are enough to form separate groups?

I'll keep you posted.

Kate
Bartypit
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Teignmouth, and would be interested in a group Exeter way, or Teign valley way..could you let me know?
Jane
bendykate
House Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jane,

Thanks for getting in touch. We may join forces with Exeter if that makes sense. I will keep you posted.

Kate
PlantLady
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another newcomer here - yes, I would be interested. I am Just outside Newton Abbot, so Teign Valley is close to me......
Sue
laird austin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me know when you sort out a first meeting and i may well pop over from brixham too.
bendykate
House Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that there's interest in this - I'll let you all know.

Kate
Bartypit
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good time to have an inaugural meeting!
Any suggestions anybody? Kate?
I'm flexible,what do other people think?

Jane
PlantLady
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Jane - you're flexible - Kate's 'Bendy'...... Surprised any evening except Wednesday is good for me Very Happy - anyone any preference or ideas about where? And what sort of format did you have in mind? Probably just start with a meet in a pub to see how many of us there are and what we want to do or get from the group?
PlantLady
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..... anything happening yet? I dont know the pubs up the Teign valley well enough to sugggest one with a back room we can meet in. Not knowing where anyone is coming from does Christow seem central enough or were you thinking further north (Chagford) or south towards Newton Abbot way?

Who's interested?

Sue
steved6530
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..............nine months down the line and we appear to be no closer to getting together. How are we going to take this forward and reap the benefits of peer knowledge and experience if we don't meet each other?

Any suggestions?
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skype conference call is always a good start
PlantLady
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Steve - lets go for it and anyone else who wants to join in can come along if they want to......
How about - Teign House Inn at Christow (never been there - no idea what it's like) on 4th Tuesday of month - ie 26th Feb. at 8 o'clock?

Sue
Bartypit
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say what about a pub in Newton abbot area, easy for Exeter and for me in teignmouth. I don't really know where christow is.
Jane
PlantLady
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christow is up beyong Chudleigh. I dont drink much in Newton (I live almost opposite the Two Mile Oak just outside Newton) - most of the pubs in town are not the sort of place where I would feel happy waiting on my own and i was trying to make life easier for those that live up Dunsford way or further up the valley. However as Steve pointed out - it's been months and no one else has made any suggestions.....
Steve - that seems to make 3 interested people - do you have any preferences?
steved6530
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm easy, have car, will travel Smile

Newton is easy to get to........why not the Two Mile Oak for staters and perhaps another locale next time? How will we recognise each other....? A red rose between the teeth, or shall we wear our veils?

Steve
newwoman
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to butt in here but could you both wear a small 'bee friendly zone' badge on your jacket or coat-something like this perhaps
http://www.biobees.com/beefriendlyzone/images/BFZ_poster_basic.pdf-perhaps just delete the lettering at the bottom-sorry Phil
Pat
PlantLady
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - so 8pm on 26th at Two Mile Oak it is - I have a bee striped rugby shirt I could wear - you cant miss it! but the Bee friendly zone is easy to turn into a badge so I might do that instead (or possibly as well)

I would suggest the public bar - go for the table up at the main road end if it's free....it's small and friendly and and the other bar is mainly for eating in....

See at least 2 of you soon!

Sue
Bartypit
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Tuesday at two mile oak. Who's coming? Bendy Kate, are you able to make it? How are we going to recognise each other again?
Jane
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone checked with Tim at Embercombe? I saw a tweet from him that he is organizing a TV meetup there - I think it was 16th March?
PlantLady
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bartypit wrote:
So, Tuesday at two mile oak. Who's coming? Bendy Kate, are you able to make it? How are we going to recognise each other again?
Jane

I shall head for the public bar and wear my bee striped rugby shirt. Steve and I have already met. everyone else will be wearing a faintly 'lost' look on their faces.

Seriously I can make up a sign to put on the table if it helps.

I know nothing about any meeting at Embercombe on 16th March, but if it's a Saturday I shall be working anyway. Maybe he could come along on Tuesday and we could combine forces.

Sue
steved6530
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall be there too. Have to go to Denbury early evening so can combine business and pleasure. Very Happy Very Happy
PlantLady
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be some confusion here...... yes we had a meeting last Tuesday, but there are rumours that Tim at Embercombe is organising something in March as well - perhaps we could liase?
bendykate
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Teign Valley natural beekeepers - inaugural meeting Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Sorry I missed the meeting last Tuesday - for some reason I didn't get updates from this forum. I hope it went well?

I'm delighted to say that if you're a beekeeper in the Teign Valley (and we're happy to stretch that to Exeter, Newton etc. as long as you're prepared to travel this way) we're starting things off on Saturday 16th March 10.30am-12.30am at Embercombe, near Ashton (see www.embercombe.co.uk for directions). Weather permitting we'll see the bees there, and you'll meet Tim, the beekeeper there and me (Kate) who still hasn't managed to get any bees but they are imminent! You're welcome to stay for lunch afterwards, although we do ask for a contribution of £5 if you do. Please do let me know if you plan to come and if you want lunch.

If it's easier, please email me on bendykate@gmail.com or call 01626 830158 / 07968 914846

Thanks everyone.

Kate
timhall137
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello from Embercombe. We are looking forward to welcoming beekeepers this Saturday 16th March at 10.30 am. This is to discuss the setting up of a natural beekeeping group centred in the Teign Valley. We hope this group will be able to support each other in our learning as we support the bees. We ask for £5 for lunch if you choose to stay and we will meet from 10.30- 12.30/1.00. Please contact myself timhall@embercombe.co.uk or Kate (bendykate) if you intend to come so we can keep an eye on numbers.
Bartypit
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I can't make today's meeting, but would be interested in your next one. I hope it goes well.
Jane
bendykate
House Bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Inaugural meeting of Teign Valley Bee Group Reply with quote

Hello Jane and anyone else reading,

We had a really good first meeting (and lunch) today, the Embercombe bees were out flying a little before the rain (and then hail) set in! Seven of us spent most of the time sitting by the fire agreeing what we wanted to do and what we could all contribute. And, of course, talking about bees.

We've agreed to set up a group (informal at this stage) and meet monthly for the time being. Our starting point is to support all beekeeping for the benefit of the bees, through:
- sharing knowledge and experience
- providing peer support.

But it's not too late to join us or to help shape our mission! There are several others who wanted to come but couldn't make this first meeting at relatively short notice. Our next meeting will be the weekend of April 20th-21st again at Embercombe, time to be confirmed as soon as I know myself!

And if you're not in the Teign Valley you are welcome to join as long as you don't mind travelling here for meetings.

If you'd be interested and you love bees (both experienced beekeepers and beginners welcome), please get in touch with me.

Kate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, UK and Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: