Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Barefoot Beekeeper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> The Barefoot Beekeeper - the book, the podcast and the app!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WileyHunter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Barefoot Beekeeper Reply with quote

Hey Phil, just picked up your PDF download, going to try to convert it to Kindle so I can read it in the morning (have an easier time with Kindle App than iBooks App on my iPad). I'm really looking forward to burying my head in it for the next couple of days. I read through the intro/forward, and will say that you nailed so much in that little space, of what I've been feeling about the large scale operations. I will let you know at the end, but I'm sure I'm going to fully enjoy reading and learning from this book. Thanks for taking the time to put it together and for making it easily accessible, I'm sure you could've gotten quite a higher price than you charge for it.

Another Phil
WileyHunter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, bad news is, I couldn't sleep tonight despite being up since 5:30 and having a few beers in me earlier today Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Good news, I got the book converted and read! Cool

As expected, I am quite happy with the purchase and feel like I'm walking a familiar path into bee-having. So much of what you wrote are things I tried to point out to my Dad in our discussions over the last several months, as well as my kids. Fortunately for the bees, my kids listen to me better than my Dad, and want us to take a more 'natural' approach to caring for the bees.

Our expectations, in getting involved with bees, is that we be able to provide a hospitable environment for them. "Treatment" and disturbances to be kept to as least harmful and minimal as possible. Sure, we'd like to be able to have a 'share' of their golden glory when we can, who could resist that!? But we don't wish to rob them blind, especially before an uncertain winter sets in, and force them to eat a buffet of junk food. Our plan is to wait until we know they're through the winter and have some reserve that we could have, only "offering" up a supplement as a protection to keep them from starving, and never being a cause of that starvation. My wife LOVES to make candles, just for us, for now anyway. Sounds like I might be able to help supply her with some good, clean beeswax when we do harvest a little honey. I'm also interested in getting a little pollen from them, if it's possible in the hTBH without stressing them out too much. My kids are both mildly asthmatic and I have bad allergies to anything that blooms. We have had success in the past, taking a bit of local pollen daily.

The only change to your book, that I could ask you about, is: would you consider actually selling it as a Kindle release? While it was possible, and not too difficult really to convert the PDF file toKindle format, I found that I wasn't able to highlight text and make notes as I like to do. Otherwise Phil, hats off to you!
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your kind words, and glad you enjoyed it.

I will look at the Kindle conversion again. I did put a Kindle version on Smashwords, but I couldn't figure out how to include the illustrations, so it is text-only. I will take another look at it and see if something can be done. But I have another book to finish first!
e3eridani
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@wileyhunter. For managing/ converting ebooks try Calibre. It recognises readers and converts books to a proper format. Hope it helps.
Fulco
New Bee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Balanced Beekeeping I: also available in pdf? Reply with quote

Hello, anyone know if the: Balanced Beekeeping I: Building a Top Bar Hive is available in e-book format? we live in southern argentina and paperbacks ususally dont arrive.

Thanks for any tips.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.e-junkie.com/ecom/gb.php?c=cart&i=1343914&cl=135350&ejc=2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> The Barefoot Beekeeper - the book, the podcast and the app! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: