Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
My first selfmade TBBH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: My first selfmade TBBH Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of my Bee Hive I am building. I am having trouble finding material to cap the roof. Some Sheet metal or even copper. Anyone has any idea where to get this here in the US?

I think the pictures didn't work

Thanks
Uwe[img]l:\tbbh1.jpg[/img][img]l:\tbbh2.jpg[/img][img]l:\tbbh3.jpg[/img]
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My first selfmade TBBH Reply with quote

Uwe in USA wrote:

I think the pictures didn't work

You need to upload them to Picasa or similar web host, then post the url for each photo.

Last edited by biobee on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sovek
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what phil here said. I use Imgur.com for my photo needs.
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photobucket works well and is free
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Here they are finaly Reply with quote

Sorry, I cleaned up my Picasa and didn't realize it wold take the pictures off in this forum.

Last edited by Uwe in USA on Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swing Swang
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bitumen ridge piece is lang-lasting, reasonably lightweight, and not too expensive. Might need two if your hive is longer than 1m though, but you could get two Warre coverings out of a single sheet.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/ridge-piece-1000x485mm-black/invt/240040/
Swing Swang
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bitumen ridge piece is lang-lasting, reasonably lightweight, and not too expensive. Might need two if your hive is longer than 1m though, but you could get two Warre coverings out of a single sheet.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/ridge-piece-1000x485mm-black/invt/240040/
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: My first self made bee hive, almost done Reply with quote

[img]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6o0cJcxQ9CJAFsMO82mI4uH-1b-AyFJOO1IaaVuCIEE?feat=directlink[/img]
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: My first self made bee hive, almost done Reply with quote

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6o0cJcxQ9CJAFsMO82mI4uH-1b-AyFJOO1IaaVuCIEE?feat=directlink
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good mate
msscha
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lovely hive!
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want your photo to appear here, go to the image in Picasa, right click, hit 'Copy image url', and paste that here:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-KO3i6b11JXU/Ux9KTTHW2OI/AAAAAAAAAU8/LxYfu978g4k/s512/Topbarbeehive.JPG

Then put the IMG tags around it.

Last edited by biobee on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Almost there Reply with quote

I am almost done. Now I need to weather proof the bee hive. Any suggestions. Also my bottom board is screwed in and I wonder if I should add a mesh. But have trouble figuring out how to compine the mesh and the board. If I put a mesh in then the bees cannot get to the space bellow and seal the bottom. Is that important?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-_hgnqpyh74sCdt0mYn2RqZUa_N-aUsgOklm27nBEGE?feat=directlinkhttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BWdHvP_j3U2SBa48UEtS9KZUa_N-aUsgOklm27nBEGE?feat=directlinkhttps://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KuRJH2ddl_O6tSE8nH_w7qZUa_N-aUsgOklm27nBEGE?feat=directlink
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Test Reply with quote

Okay,
here we are. Almost done with my two hives. I guess I put too much effort in this. Now I need to water proof it. Any ideas? Someone told me to use 1 part bees wax and 8 part linseed oil and soak it.
Also my bottom board is solid attached and I had trouble using a mesh. If I use a mesh than the bees cannot get to the bottom and maybe want to seal the little cracks, would that be a problem?

my bee hive from last year survived so I am very happy.
When do or can I harvest?

Regards Uwe
AugustC
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A really nice build but can you remove/lower that front strip as you may find it tricky to get the topbars out with a snug fit like that and some propolis
JGW07
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like August says, the bees will glue down those top bars. You will need some way to pry them up and the way they are recessed will cause a lot of difficulty.

Overall, beautiful hive! Good job!

Jon
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have such a design fully covered with top bars + side and back strip and had no issues with taking out the top bar combs. The only must is a follower board of course for easier opening at the back.
The bees only propolise the part of the top bar touching the inner hive wall as it happens anyway with a tbh without those side strips/planks.
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the input Reply with quote

yes I do have follower boards and I could make it not so tight. Thinking about putting a small handle on all of the Topbars to lift up.

Uwe

P.S my only design flaw would be the bottom. That is screwed in.
Didn't know how to install the mesh and then the board underneith, because the bord is not so tight and air gets through it so I decided to screw it down specially for the winter season.
I might drill some holes in the bottom cover the inside with the mesh I have and put a cork in it from underneith. That will give the bees more ventilation which I already have plenty.
I have thre entrance holes, one hole on each side of the hive where the bees are and one hole on each side in the roof. All covered with Mesh and a plug to put in or take out.

Any comments are welcome.

Uwe
buffalobob
House Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice hive Nurse Bee. I'm not an expert. Last year was my first foray into beekeeping. I built a 3 ft. long TBH with a fixed bottom, an entrance on 1 end. The bottom bd. extends past the hive about 1 1/2" for a landing bd.
The hive survived the winter and as of the end of last year I had no mite problem. If you want to use the mesh I suggest you remove your bottom bd. Tack on your mesh. Then Use 2 "L" brackets at each end to hold the bottom on. The "L" brackets should be about 3" or more long and have at least 2 holes on ea. leg. On the ends of the hive, with the bottom tight to the hive, fasten thru the hole closest to the bottom of the hive. That way you can drop the bd. down and reinstall the screws thru the upper hole in the brkt. The bottom is now hanging below the hive an 1 1/2" or so. Can be for ventilation or you can put your sticky paper on it for mite inspection. At the end of the year pull it up tight. You may need to use something in the middle to keep it tight. Maybe a ratchet strap. Would also keep the roof secured tightly.
Good luck
Astrid
House Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffalobob; could you please provide us with a photo or a scetch? I am also looking for the good bottom ideas. Thanks!
buffalobob
House Bee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I figure out how to post photos I will. Took several of the hives I built today of that detail. Hopefully within the next couple of days.Thanks for the interest.
msscha
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To post photos, photos have to be stored somewhere on the web. There are lots of programs to do so -- flickr, imgur, photobucket, etc. I recently began using imgur because it was incredibly easy -- much more intuitive than any other program I had used (I'm fairly tech savvy, but Picasa gives me a headache!). I also liked that imgur provides a menu for choosing the link to use when posting photos -- one item on that menu is "link for images on forums" that offers a variety of sizes from small thumbnail to huge. All you have to do is click/copy that the code they provide -- it even includes the "img" tags, so you don't have to click the img/url buttons on this forum. Easy peasy, as my kids would say Very Happy.
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Done, what a job. Reply with quote

It took me all Winter and they are finally done.

msscha
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I really like landing boards, though I didn't add them to mine. Congrats on finishing Smile.
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: How many be hive on a 1/4 acre piece of land Reply with quote

Hi,
I live in Arlignton, VA in the Suburbs on a 1/4 acre lot. 10000 square feet.
My house covers a third of that lot and I have a big backyard.
Last year I started with a TBBH in my backyard and was so thrilled that I built myself two more. Now I am wondering if three is too much. What do my fellow beekeepes think?
I guess it is too late to ask this question at this time, you would think.
next week my new bees will arrive.

best

Uwe
Uwe in USA
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: New Bee Hives in place and bees installed Reply with quote

On Monday April 14 I received my two packages of bees which I installed in my two new beehive on the very left and very right. The one in the middle is from last year and the bees haev already swarmed. Coldn't believe they would do this so early. Well, I couldn't catch the swarm. The next day it turned out to be very cold and rainy and I hope they will make it. It went from 80s to 30-40s.
Here are some pictures.

msscha
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely! My hive has only been in place for 8 days, and they've already constructed enough comb that you can smell the hive from about 20 feet away. I had no idea that it would start so soon -- the scent is intoxicating, warm beeswax and sugar, with a slight musky undertone.

We've had the same bizarre weather, though our night time lows have stayed in the 40s. It's been a tough spring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Horizontal top bar hives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: