Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Natural Beekeeping Group - Wye Valley
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, UK and Ireland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Natural Beekeeping Group - Wye Valley Reply with quote

Announcement of the First Meeting of a new Natural Beekeeping Group for the Wye Valley, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire and Herefordshire.
Tuesday 3rd December at 7pm, at Bees for Development, 1 Agincourt Street, Monmouth NP25 3DZ.
We are establishing a Natural Beekeeping Group for people who are interested in keeping bees sustainably. Meetings will be an opportunity for beekeepers to chat, and to share experiences, information and practical advice. All welcome. Please come and join us, and help create a local forum for natural beekeeping. Smile
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news for the border counties. I'm sure you will get plenty of support.
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Wye Valley, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire Reply with quote

We have a new local forum for natural beekeeping! At our first meeting we discussed swarms, colonies with multiple queens, hive ventilation and humidity, mice, mouse guards, and the location of winter stores. Everyone asked questions, and several people offered answers. We range in our beekeeping experience from a few months to forty years, using many different hive types and in diverse locations. Some are beginners hoping to get their first bees next year. The mince pies and biscuits were excellent.

Wye Natural Bees will be open to anyone interested in natural and sustainable beekeeping. We aim to hold meetings about four times a year, providing a space for beekeepers to chat, ask questions, and share experiences, information and practical advice.

Many thanks to Bees for Development for allowing us to use their premises for our first meeting. We hope that the group will eventually become self-organising.

Our next meeting will be on Sunday 16 March at an apiary in the Wye Valley. We'll be discussing bees in spring. Let us know if you would like to come, so we can email you directions and know how many to expect. Bring your questions for the group.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that, Monica. I'm sure BfD will be a great resource and support.

I would love to visit sometime next year, when I am up your way.
mary.ring
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Keen to get started in Abergavenny Reply with quote

Hello, Monica and Wye Valley Group,

I'm very keen to start keeping bees asap, but have just declined the training course place offered by GBKA, since I have been finding out more and more about natural beekeeping.

Which seems to me to be the only way to go.

I'll gladly come to the March meeting in Monmouth, but meanwhile is there any kind soul out there who would let me come and see some natural beekeeping in action?

I'm keen to go on a natural beekeeping training course, and am watching Phil's Biobees Courses for updates. Meanwhile, I'll carry on with the reading and research.

All the best,

Mary
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear from you, Mary.

The bees have been keeping themselves well tucked up away from the wind and rain this winter. We'll try and link you up with a friendly beekeeper for an apiary visit when the weather improves. As for courses around the Wye Valley, there will be two weekend courses on Sustainable Beekeeping at Ragmans Lane Farm (Forest of Dean), and a few day courses at Humble by Nature (Penallt), between April and September, if you're interested.

See you in March! monica
mary.ring
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Monica,

Good to hear from you - thanks so much.

I've been in to Bees for Dev in Monmouth, very helpful, and have also taken up GBKA in the interests of learning as much as possible. The day courses at Humble by Nature sound to be what I'm looking for, so thanks for that.

Meanwhile, will look forward to next meeting of Wye Natural Bees on 16th March,

Mary
Lacewing
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Monica - Have you a location and time for your 16th March meeting? - I'd like to come if I can - Catriona
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Meeting 16th March 3pm Reply with quote

Hi everyone, our next meeting will be on Sunday 16th March at 3pm, at Wye Valley Apiaries in Redbrook. Thank you Gareth for agreeing to host us.
There's not much parking nearby so please car share or park in the village and walk up. We'll post more directions soon.
Meanwhile the bees are taking in lots of pollen, so let's hope for a good season.
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Meeting Sunday 16th March in Redbrook Reply with quote

Our next meeting of the Wye Valley Natural Beekeeping Group will be held in Redbrook at 3pm on Sunday 16th March. We'll be outdoors in a commercial apiary.

We welcome everyone interested in natural beekeeping. Some of us have been keeping bees for many years, some have just started, and some are still thinking about it. The meeting will be informal, with lots of opportunity for questions.

If you would like to join us please email us at wyenaturalbeekeeping@gmail.com so we can send you directions and know how many cars to expect. The apiary is some distance from the road, so be prepared for a walk along a rough track.

We're looking forward to seeing you on Sunday.
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: March meeting Reply with quote

We were lucky to have a hot spring day for our meeting last Sunday. We met in a commercial apiary - these bees pollinate the local fruit and cider orchards - so we heard about practices that are very different from most of our natural techniques. The bees were bringing in heavy loads of bright yellow pollen from the willows. We could open a couple of hives, and watch the house bees unloading pollen from their returning foragers. As a few people haven't yet got bees, it was a good chance to look carefully at bees, brood, comb - and the queen. And for the rest of us, well, we love looking at bees any time and there's always something interesting to observe.

Next time, we'll be back to natural beekeeping, and have more opportunity for discussion. The next meeting will probably be in June - date and place to be confirmed.

Thanks to everyone who came along, and hope to see you all (and those who couldn't make it) next time.
mary.ring
New Bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, Monica, for arranging this - and thanks to Gareth & Bernice for hosting us. As one who hasn't got her bees yet, I learned a lot from watching.

Look forward to next meeting,

Mary
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: June meeting Reply with quote

Hello Wye Natural Beekeepers
Our next meeting will be held on Wednesday 4th June at 7pm at the Bees for Development office in Agincourt Street Monmouth. We'll have time for questions and sharing our answers - and this season's adventures.
If there's time, Monica and Mark will give a short talk with slides about tree beekeeping in Northern European forests.
Tea and coffee will be provided, but if you want to contribute cake please don't hold back!
chrispins
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Wye Natural Beekeepers Reply with quote

Hello Monica,
We are newbees living in Cwmbran. Do you have a date set for your next meeting yet? Having family living in Coleford, we are familiar with Redbrook and have visited the shop in Monmouth. We are using a standard hive at the moment, but we intend to make a top bar hive soon and are interested in the Natural Beekeeping ideas.
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our last meeting was on 4th June at the BfD office in Monmouth. We had a good turnout, with some interesting discussions on a wide range of subjects. As always there was a good mix of people who have bees in all sorts of hives, and people who are just starting out. There was a short talk with slides on European Tree Beekeeping, including how to make a tree hive or a log hive. It was useful to compare the European styles of log hive (vertical) with the African examples (horizontal) at the Bees for Development offices. The European examples we looked at were from Ukraine and Bashkortostan, where tree beekeeping is still practised in traditions handed down through families for many centuries.

Thanks to everyone who came and contributed to the discussion. See you next time.
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Next meeting? Reply with quote

We don't yet have a date fixed for our next meeting, but it will probably be in September. We'll let you all know soon.
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Wye Natural Bees - 16 September 2014 Reply with quote

The next meeting of Wye Natural Beekeepers will be on Tuesday 16th September at 7pm, at Bees for Development, Agincourt Street, Monmouth. We'll look forward to seeing you all then.
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news for natural beekeepers in the Wye Valley - David Heaf will teach a weekend masterclass on Warre's People's Hive, on 29-30 November. Details of this two-day course are on the Bees for Development website.
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended a recent course on Ragman's Lane Farm organized by BfD. Very well organized with a good mix of practical and theoretical teaching. Faculty very knowledgable and friendly. Exposure to TBH and Warre hives. Would thoroughly recommend. I have booked on the Warre course with David Heaf and will post feedback in early December.
ianrichards
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended the same course ... really excellent ... would highly recommend to anyone interested in getting started or just topping up your knowledge as well as meeting kindred spirits.

AND

Hi Ingo, what hives have you got?

Regards
Ian & Jane

ingo50 wrote:
I attended a recent course on Ragman's Lane Farm organized by BfD. Very well organized with a good mix of practical and theoretical teaching. Faculty very knowledgable and friendly. Exposure to TBH and Warre hives. Would thoroughly recommend. I have booked on the Warre course with David Heaf and will post feedback in early December.
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian and Jane, thanks for reply. I have two Nationals that I started late in the season as not able to get a swarm for my TBH. I hope to build a Warre over the winter. How are your bees doing? It's getting back to the usual wet and more wet here in South Wales.
Best wishes, Ingo
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: December meeting - Wye Natural Beekeeping Reply with quote

The next meeting of the Wye Natural Beekeeping Group will be on Tuesday 9th December, at 7pm, at Bees for Development, Agincourt Street, Monmouth. We'll look forward to seeing you all then.
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: March meeting Reply with quote

The next meeting of the Wye Valley Natural Beekeeping Group will be on Tuesday 24th March at 7pm, at Bees for Development, 1 Agincourt Street, Monmouth. We'll hope to see many of you then - please bring questions for the group and any plans or problems you would like to discuss.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monica - do you know about our Affiliated Group Scheme?

http://www.friendsofthebees.org/membership/index.php?action=cat&id=3

Gives cash back to local groups!
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Summer meeting - 13th June Reply with quote

The next meeting of the Wye Natural Beekeeping Group will be on Saturday 13th June at 2.30, at the apiary of one of our members in Longtown, Herefordshire. The plan is to walk around the garden and meadows, looking at bees and the flowers they are visiting, eat tea and cake, and look at some Warre hives while we share ideas.
Please let us know if you would like to come along: we need to know numbers, and there isn't much parking so we'll try to organise car shares. We'll be meeting up at 1-1.30 at the Bees for Development shop in Monmouth.
monica
House Bee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info about the Affiliated Groups Scheme - looks good. We'll talk about it at our next meeting.
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent visit today, watched a swarm capture and rehousing to a Warre hive, despite cloud and some light rain.Beautiful setting and delicious afternoon tea and cakes. Thank you to our hosts.
ALifeLessSimple
New Bee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this group still going? I'd really like to come along to some meetings if it is.

How do I find out more information?
ingo50
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monica usually posts the next meeting date on this forum, most are held at Bees For Development in Monmouth. I would suggest sending her a pm so she can add you to the distribution list and tell you more about the format etc.
ALifeLessSimple
New Bee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I will message her now Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Local Groups and Mentors, UK and Ireland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: