Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Deep floor (eco-floor) photos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B kind
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Deep floor (eco-floor) photos Reply with quote

To add to Phils thread on the deep floor ( http://www.biobees.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15963&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= )
I am posting photos here.
Apologies, I have not yet discovered how to reduce their size...

This is to illustrate the volume difference between our 2 deep floors. One hive had the bottom planed off ( at Y) and so point X and point Y have different angles. Hive B required a greater volume of filling.
DF is Deep floor.

Here are some photos taken last summer ....

We could not find wire mesh anywhere so came up with this combination of plastic mesh (which we had already) reinforced with a board. The board is to deter Badgers.

Hive B in the foreground in January.

B kind
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today we checked our bait hive, This one we forgot to put a nail across the entrance. It is over a door I go through every day and we hadn't seen any activity, although I do see a lot of birds in the garden gathering nesting materials. It is beautifully and deeply filled with fresh green moss, wool and horse hair. We put it straight back and will see what happens. Nesting would be finished in about 5 weeks if it gets used, about the right timing for a cast swarm at least. (temperatures still a little cool here but I''d say we are on the brink of our spring flow). I was delighted when I saw this though. imagining the bees finding the bait hive with a nature filled deep floor.
Kim
B kind
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update...

The bait hive in the previous picture was used as a birds nest, thankfully we didn't disrupt what had begun. As soon as the little ones fledged we took the hive down and put a nail across the entrance to prevent subsequent nesting.

We left the nesting material in to see if a swarm would choose it and it did receive a lot of interest but no swarm actually moved in. Being only my 2nd year I still had no brood comb to put in the hive to add to it's charm for a swarm. I did give it the odd drop of lemongrass. There are other bait hives within range of our bees. The swarm which looked very interested in the bait hive was still hanging in the tree after 4 or 5 hours so I chose for them by giving them a home.

I did then clean it out as I came by a piece of comb to put into it.

I still imagine that in the natural world many suitable bee cavities are previously used as nests and would be filled with nesting material.

I will try and get updated photos of our deep floors but until then, I have noticed that the deep floor now has a coating of propolis.

And .... the bees in one of the hives are using the gap that has appeared between the deep floor and the hive body as an entrance!

Kim
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever we come up with, the bees have their own ideas of how to make improvements...
tickie
House Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this - could you let me know - have you purposefully filled the bottom of the hive with leaf litter? If so, why?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Photo gallery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: