Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
paint inside of hive?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbh,allnew
New Bee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: paint inside of hive? Reply with quote

I have built a tbh using hollow core closet bifold door. however both sides of the doors was painted . I have sanded the inside surface with 36 grit belt sander to roughen it. was not able to get all the paint off. was afraid to sand too much , the surface wood is less than 1/8 thick. can the bees [ if I get any ] tolerate the 50% of paint that is left on? Question
CeeBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: paint inside of hive? Reply with quote

Hi there

Look - I've no experience of what bees think of paint, but I doubt anyone else has gone to the trouble of doing the experiment: paint versus no-paint, so I doubt you'll get any informed replies. Seems similar to on a cactus & succulent forum I frequent, where people sometimes ask detailed questions about things which, in my opinion, will make no difference whatsoever. Not sure why to even worry about the roughness of the interior.

My own guess: they won't even notice the paint, so long as not recently applied. They shouldn't care much about the sides and base of the hive anyway, since you're not expecting them to attach anything to them (as opposed to the bars themself).
Che Guebuddha
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at Dennis Murrells early TBH they were painted inside and outside. He doesnt paint the inside anymore but when he did he couldnt observe bees suffering from it.

I personally feel bees are to decide what they want on their walls Smile
rmcpb
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overthink your bees. They are very good at using whatever box we give them and will probably overcoat the inside with propolis anyway.
J Smith
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with rmcpb and Che.
Unless it is some kind of old paint containing lead or something, is not peeling or flaking it should be fine.
I am however concerned a little with your choice of hollow core door. Is it skinned in three ply, or Medium Density Fibreboard?
Neither weather well, but the ply is sure better than MDF. They are designed as interior doors and not very rain resistant, the ply can de-laminate with direct sunlight in an exterior environment.
So, I would shape a timber batten to fill the cut edges that have exposed the material that keeps the two skins apart (often honey comb cardboard) to protect it from moisture and give the exterior another good coat of paint once the hive is built.
On the plus side, the hollow interior of your walls between the two door skin faces will offer some insulation properties. Very Happy
tbh,allnew
New Bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the kind replies . my mind is eased about the paint . the paint is probably 10 to 15 years old . the ends cover the exposed panels and glued with gorilla glue and will be painted on the outside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: