Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
"Bumblebees infected by honey bee diseases"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> TV, Video, Blogs and Other Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lacewing
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: "Bumblebees infected by honey bee diseases" Reply with quote

Have just read this on the BBC's website, referring to deformed wing virus and nosema c.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26242960

Note:

"Writing in the journal Nature, the team says that beekeepers should keep their honeybees as free from disease as possible to stop the spread."

and

"We have to, at national and international levels, support management policies that enable our beekeepers to keep their bees as free of diseases as possible," Prof Brown said.

"The benefits are not just to the honeybees, they are to the wild bees as well."

!!

- Although the researchers also want to investigate whether neonicotinoid pesticides are playing a role in problem.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, Dr David Aston of the BBKA is the first to jump in to tell beekeepers to use 'authorised medications' rather than raise an eyebrow against the obvious culprit - Bayer's neonicotinoids, undermining the immune response of bumblebees as well as honeybees.
Gareth
Wise Bee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Bumblebees infected by honey bee diseases" Reply with quote

Lacewing wrote:

"We have to, at national and international levels, support management policies that enable our beekeepers to keep their bees as free of diseases as possible," Prof Brown said.

And the best way to do that is to keep the bees in a low stress manner with their immune system uncompromised from toxins. That includes toxins in the environment (as Phil says above) but also toxins introduced by beekeepers.

At a recent meeting at Fera (The UK's Food and Environment Research Agency) I heard from various researchers how infection can pass from honey bees to bumble bees and also the other way round. So it's a two way street.

We also heard that bumble bees imported to pollinate glasshouse crops are not as free of disease as they are supposed to be - and, if course, some of them escape, hence spreading infection into wild populations.

It is also worth remembering that one source of infection is flowers themselves; viruses and Nosema spores happily sit on the pollen waiting for the next bee (of whatever sort) to come along.

[url=http//simplebees.wordpress.com]http://simplebees.wordpress.com[/url]
Lacewing
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've so far met beekeepers who treat, and those who don't, and those who agonise about whether they should or they shouldn't, and if so, with what, and when, etc.etc. And most seem to wonder if they're doing the right thing. What I haven't met is one who thinks they should be doing something but hasn't bothered, or one who doesn't care.

David Aston was also in a position here to show some support for beekeepers, in various ways but...! Can you imagine a spokesperson for farmers not supporting them, if they were held responsible for the spread of disease in wild animals?

To see it more or less suggested to the public that it lies within the power of beekeepers in the first place to control these diseases and their spread in other bees too, by following certain guidelines, and in the second, to have it pretty much implied that it's due to negligence or lack of care that some don't follow those guidelines, is just infuriating.
maskerade
House Bee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC Inside Science had a large section on this too. You can find it on iTunes Podcasts, 20th Feb episode, ( just caught up with it today in the garden!)

They also state that we have lost ALL wild bee colonies in the UK as well as massive increases in losses of hives (around 30% off the top of my head) and implied that the beekeepers being heavily monitored.

Would love to know if people here think this is true as I was hoping to introduce myself to the world of beekeeping with a few bait hives this year Surprised

Media hype?
Gareth
Wise Bee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maskerade wrote:

They also state that we have lost ALL wild bee colonies in the UK ....

This has been the standard line for some years. The last time I was told this I was standing within 50 yards of a wild hive and there was another 200 yards away (likely the mother of the nearer one). I have subsequently moved house, but was called last summer to collect a swarm from the hive that was 50 yards away (that had settled in the garden of my former house). It was a tiny swarm late in the season but established itself well and is currently the most heavily flying of all my colonies. It has also used very little by way of winter stores. In other words: well adapted local bees.

I live in central, southern England. Draw your own conclusions.

maskerade
House Bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very nice to hear Gareth ! Wink
B kind
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was a tiny swarm late in the season but established itself well and is currently the most heavily flying of all my colonies. It has also used very little by way of winter stores. In other words: well adapted local bees.

I would really appreciate more info on this!
Gareth did you give then any assistance? did you feed them at all? was their hive well insulated over winter? what hive type?

Kim
Gareth
Wise Bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B kind wrote:
Quote:
It was a tiny swarm late in the season but established itself well and is currently the most heavily flying of all my colonies. It has also used very little by way of winter stores. In other words: well adapted local bees.

I would really appreciate more info on this!
Gareth did you give then any assistance? did you feed them at all? was their hive well insulated over winter? what hive type?

Kim

This is very off the original topic but, from my notes: swarm taken mid July , after main flow had ceased and hived in a Warré. Fed (2:1 made with nettle tea and vitamin C) late July and early Aug. Filled one box going into winter. Standard Warré quilt, no extra wrapping but hive walls 28mm tick rather than standard 20mm.

B kind
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Gareth.

I am keen to develop an understanding of the key factors to success for small or late swarms. I shall continue on a new thread though.

As for the threat to bumblebees from honeybees. While I am sure it will be well-intentioned, in my opinion it is more likely to be used as an argument to further monitor and advise bee-keeping activities (along modern and conventional lines) rather than tackle real threats such as imported bees and modern intensive farming and bee-keeping methods.

Kim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> TV, Video, Blogs and Other Media All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

SPECIAL OFFER FOR UK FORUM MEMBERS - Buy your protective clothing here and get a special 15% discount! (use the code BAREFOOTBEEKEEPER at checkout and be sure to 'update basket')

Are the big energy companies bleeding you dry?

Is way too much of your hard-earned family income going up in smoke?

Are you worried about what could happen if the ageing grid system fails?

You need to watch this short video NOW to find out how YOU can cut your energy bills TO THE BONE within 30 days!

WATCH THE VIDEO NOW

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)

Conserving wild bees

Research suggests that bumble bee boxes have a very low success rate in actually attracting bees into them. We find that if you create an environment where first of all you can attract mice inside, such as a pile of stones, a drystone wall, paving slabs with intentionally made cavities underneath, this will increase the success rate.

Most bumble bee species need a dry space about the size a football, with a narrow entrance tunnel approximately 2cm in diameter and 20 cm long. Most species nest underground along the base of a linear feature such as a hedge or wall. Sites need to be sheltered and out of direct sunlight.

There is a spectacular display of wild bee hotels here

More about bumblebees and solitary bees here

Information about the Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum)

Barefoot Beekeeper Podcast

Now available from Lulu.com

4th Edition paperback now available from Lulu.com

See beekeeping books for details and links to ebook versions.
site map
php. BB © 2001, 2005 php. BB Group

View topic - "Bumblebees infected by honey bee diseases" - Natural Beekeeping Network Forum