Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
empty hive/robber bees

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muddymom
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: empty hive/robber bees Reply with quote

Located in USA, Indiana. Lost my bees this winter as had a lot of uncapped cells of nectar which resulted in to much moisture in hive for -10 temperatures. I cut those sections of comb off bars. Left the capped bars of honey and the empty brood comb.
Have bees from wild hive entering my hive.
I have packages of bees ordered to replace losses. Should I block entrances on empty hives to stop robbing? Worried feral bees will continue to rob once new bees are introduced.
WileyHunter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How soon until the replacements get here? And where, more closely is here? I know there are several others on the site that are from this great state of Indiana, maybe someone geographically near to you could help out?

One thought... Maybe mount the bars outside of the hive so the 'wild' bees can do some cleanup for you, prevent the uncapped from turning bad if it will be awhile.
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bees are entering your hive so they know where it is! Come swarm season they MAY see it as a potential new home. I'd be tempted to prep another hive for the package and hope to bait a swarm. A little lemongrass oil will help with that (about 10 drops on a tissue in a zip-lock bag with 2 or 3 pin holes in it).

It's a risk, but with the potential of a free colony.
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutout all comb and clean the mess up.

I don't understand, why the comb has been left in that hive. Robber bees working on comb shred it into pieces. So it is worthless this way. Plus you may have infected the feral hives with your house bees' diseases...

The proper way to work a deadout is cutting out all comb and torch the hive lightly from the inside. Instead of torching one can wash it with some caustic soda solution. Close all entrances.
imkeer
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right, Fence Rider !
If people have a dead out, they should close the hive and sort the combs out. Depending of the reasons the colony died, they can store honeycombs in the freezer to feed other colonies. If part of the reason they died is pollen contaminated with neonics, they should cut out the pollen and throw them (far) away...

In Bie(n)gen
(Luc P. - BE)
muddymom
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: info Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. The hive was healthy and had neither SHB or varoa mites as had done check before cold weather. The cause of dieout was weather (-20 for over a week) and uncapped cells causing to much moisture
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> URGENT Help needed now! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: