Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Apology for the downtime...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Announcements: Read This First
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Apology for the downtime... Reply with quote

...over the weekend.

This was caused by exceeding our allotted bandwidth of 75Gb, which shows how popular natural beekeeping has become.

I was away from home teaching all weekend and could not contact my server tech support. I am currently looking at other hosting options, but I will need to lay out more money to improve on what we have.

If you have found this place helpful, PLEASE CONSIDER MAKING A DONATION to Friends of the Bees to help defray our costs. If we cannot raise money this way, I will have no option but to deploy more advertising, and I really don't want to go further in that direction.
Trip
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

Thanks for the reminder, it's been too long since I last made a donation and have rectified the situation. I find the site and the community invaluable and appreciate your efforts holding the electronic bits together so we can support each other.

Trip
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Phil. I bought the book, but must admit to feeling little guilty about not making a donation to this great site, given the amount of info I have got from it.

Will rectify that. Gotta admit, when the site when down I was beginning to panic a bit! I'd be knackered without it.
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

Just for clarity, book sales help to keep me afloat, but donations to Friends of the Bees go towards running our projects and not to me.

Currently, we need funds to establish our Black Bee Project on a permaculture farm in South Devon - more about this later.
Jt
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came in from checking the bees on Sunday and wanted some advice. Obviously shocked to see the site down. Perhaps you could give us an idea of running costs for such a forum? I think an open approach to how donated monies are used will give confidence to contributors. I have taken the insurance from FOTBs but have no idea how much covers the liability insurance or goes towards other projects and running costs?

Keep up the good work!
Amber
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Apology for the Downtime Reply with quote

A good reminder, it's easy to take the forum for granted.
But it's greatly appreciated by a huge number of enthusiastic and caring beekeepers.
CeeBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Apology for the downtime... Reply with quote

biobee wrote:

This was caused by exceeding our allotted bandwidth of 75Gb...

I certainly noticed the absence of the forum - figured maybe it was getting towards the 'end-of-month' and perhaps the quota is based on months?

Need care as to whether it's 'Gb' (normally giga-bits, assumed per-month in this case), or 'GB' (giga-bytes, i.e. 8 times as much).

For what it's worth, my own site/email/etc. are with Bytemark http://www.bytemark.co.uk/ in the UK. £15/month (with a discount for a whole year), for a Linux virtual machine including 200GB/month (that's definitely _bytes_). Beyond that, each extra GB (again _byte_) costs £0.25. I probably don't usually get anywhere near this limit - though I offered live-video of nesting swifts last year (and about to do so again this year - they should arrive in a week or so), which needs care over the bandwidth used (I cut people off if they start viewing and just leave it running). Not for everyone - you manage the server yourself - so if your email / web-site / etc. doesn't work, then you fix it yourself, but then you can install whatever you like on it. Perhaps gives a ballpark figure as to expected costs of bandwidth, and whether costs are a rip-off.
Cie
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wave the flag for Bitfolk who have provided hosting and support that are second to none.

Just another Warréor
[url=http://simplebees.wordpress.com] Simple Bees [/url] & [url=http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/warrebeekeeping/] Warré beekeeping [/url]
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitfolk say "We're currently out of capacity and cannot accept new customers at this time. We're expecting to be able to take on more customers towards the end of April, but capacity will likely become available sooner due to cancellations."

I currently favour Fasthosts, as their rates are competitive and they don't seem to limit bandwidth on their business accounts. Anyone have an opinion on them?
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents: Most traffic is generated by spam and spambots. You can cut down spammers by using a very small company that is hosting. A small provider also has very short communication routes, so if there is a problem, you simply ring them up and the problem is done.

I tried a lot of the bigger companies here in Germany, they all lack service and they certainly do attract spammers and hackers. Those spammers are not interested in smaller hosts.

So I just can recommend a small provider, best is near you. There are many and it is worth to search for them and pay them some money. Localize!
WileyHunter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually used to use, and resell Fasthost about 5 years ago here in the US. There were very minimal downtime issues ever complained about to me by my customer base, and they provided excellent services to both myself and my end users. Unless they've completely fallen into the toilet since then, I'd highly recommend them. In fact, now that you've prompted that memory, maybe I need to re-look at the resell options again.
ourMikeGeorge
House Bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Apology for the downtime... Reply with quote

CeeBee wrote:
biobee wrote:

This was caused by exceeding our allotted bandwidth of 75Gb...

I certainly noticed the absence of the forum - figured maybe it was getting towards the 'end-of-month' and perhaps the quota is based on months?

Need care as to whether it's 'Gb' (normally giga-bits, assumed per-month in this case), or 'GB' (giga-bytes, i.e. 8 times as much).

For what it's worth, my own site/email/etc. are with Bytemark in the UK. £15/month (with a discount for a whole year), for a Linux virtual machine including 200GB/month

I've had VMs from Bytemark for a few years and I'm very happy with the service, the value and the reliability. I don't think I've ever gone over bandwidth limits but I think they have a 'soft' limit and don't just cut you off if you go over it.

And as zaunreiter says a lot of bandwidth can be wasted by spam bots, not mention hacking attempts. I don't think you can reduce that by using a smaller hosting company but you can do a bit of active management to block the worst offenders.
H1veHead
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil

Just to put my two-penny-worth in, I've been using UK2.NET for my hosting for about five years and never had anything but good service and no downtime. Not sure exactly without looking what their costs are but maybe worth you having a look?

Cheers!
H1veHead
ourMikeGeorge
House Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought - if you're moving to another host you could use it as an opportunity to upgrade to the v3 forum software and enforce the 'location' rule Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Announcements: Read This First All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: