Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
will donating a comb of eggs knock my hive back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Brown
New Bee

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: will donating a comb of eggs knock my hive back Reply with quote

Hi folks, very new to all this - week 3 of having a hive( =
I have a freeing who seems to be queed and eggless and he has asked if I can donate a frame of eggs/brood so his bees can re queen.
my question is will this knock back my hive significantly ( I relise it will to some degree) or will it be fine?

any advice welcomed,

Loving having bees by the way! Very Happy
trekmate
Golden Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob. More info needed. How has your colony developed (how many combs? eggs? brood? stores?)? Was it a swarm, nuc, full colony?

The stronger the colony now, the less impact it will have.
zaunreiter
Moderator Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cut out a piece of comb with some eggs, that is enough. You don't need a full comb to requeen. It looks like this:

That doesn't harm your hive.
Merinos
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this picture...
Bob Brown
New Bee

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry should have gave more detail,
the hive was an already established national hive, the bees are meliffera meliffera, not hybrids so less prolific than most, we currently have about 8 of the 11 frames being "worked", pretty good amount of stores, not so much brood. We have just added a super to try to draw the brood out to the outer frames but that was only done at the weekend.
the plan for us this year is to try and get the colony big enough to split, so we have 2 hives as we are a bit vunerable at the moment with just one, this is another reson im concerned about giving away brood/eggs - but I am also keen to help.

I like the idea of just taking a small section - thanks for that.
cheers folks,
biobee
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob - I'm not quite clear here.

If your friend has A.m.m. and you give him a comb of something else, they will raise a queen from your stock, which will dilute the blood line.

If you are trying to increase your stocks of A.m.m., then you need to take eggs & larvae from his hive and raise it in yours - but then you have the problem of how to ensure they mate with A.m.m. drones...

It would help if you could explain your situation and intention a little more.
Bob Brown
New Bee

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biobee wrote:
Bob - I'm not quite clear here.

If your friend has A.m.m. and you give him a comb of something else, they will raise a queen from your stock, which will dilute the blood line.

If you are trying to increase your stocks of A.m.m., then you need to take eggs & larvae from his hive and raise it in yours - but then you have the problem of how to ensure they mate with A.m.m. drones...

It would help if you could explain your situation and intention a little more.

Ok,
We have a hive of A.m.m and so dose my friend (same village) we have no hybrid bees for at least 20 miles and the person we got the bees from has sadly had to give them up and her breeding project due to developing severe reaction to stings now Anafalaxis (They are also no longer available to quiz/advise) there remaining 6 hives are still in the village but I think they are being moved very soon, if not already gone, and there is one other family in the village with A.m.m.
So current situation is we have 1 hive, another family has 1 hive and my mate has 1 hive all of A.m.m.
He seems to be Queen less and is looking for eggs to re queen (I don't understand why his bees didn't already do this?)
So in short there is not a problem with them mating with A.m.m. as that is all that we have in village.

I am a bit worried about the gene pool already being to weak as suhrrly at some point we are going to have to bring in a A.m.m. Queen from somewhere else to add to the gene pool?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: