Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Ants!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsallington
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Ants!!! Reply with quote

I just started with 2 nucs this year. They are doing great except I have a ton of ants crawling around the hive. 1st is this a problem and 2nd if it is how do I stop it. I don't really want to use poison unless I have to...

Thanks in advance
Dexter's shed
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if ants differ in the usa compared to ours in the uk, but I don't worry about them, the bees would sort them out if they became a problem inside the hive, I have seen them carrying off varroa mite to feed the nest, so all good in my books
R Payne
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ants may or may not be a problem. It depends on the ants.
If you want to keep them away from your hives, you can spread something non-toxic around the legs/base such as talc powder, diatomaceous earth or similar. I've heard that coffee grounds will also deter ants.

ron
Adam Rose
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you feeding the nucs ?
jsallington
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been feeding for several weeks. They were a big red ant that will pinch the cr@p* out of my hands if I get them on me. Additionally I saw them pulling dead bees out of the nuc. I don't know if they killed the bees but they were getting rid of them. I will be moving the bees from the nucs to my HTBH soon. I hope it is easier to keep them out of there.
Kiwimana
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ants!!! Reply with quote

jsallington wrote:
I just started with 2 nucs this year. They are doing great except I have a ton of ants crawling around the hive. 1st is this a problem and 2nd if it is how do I stop it. I don't really want to use poison unless I have to...

Thanks in advance

I heard Cinnamon works, just spread it around base. Here is a video from the Fat Bee Man

If it gets really bad, you can make a hive stand that sites in trays filled with oil. The Ants won't walk over it.

Thanks...Gary
jsallington
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hints all, I used cinnamon sticks to prop up my nuc and spread cinnamon powder around the cinder blocks that support the nucs and that seems to have fixed it. I did make the transfer to one HTBH last night and am posting another question on that. This is certainly a lot to learn
Paul Reyes
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ants can be good for the hive others not. The best thing to do is to avoid the ants coming near the hive by spraying odor less anti spray at the bottom of the hive so they can't have access to the hive.
HowToBee
New Bee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R Payne wrote:
Ants may or may not be a problem. It depends on the ants.
If you want to keep them away from your hives, you can spread something non-toxic around the legs/base such as talc powder, diatomaceous earth or similar. I've heard that coffee grounds will also deter ants.

ron

Diatomaceous earth really does help. Not only against ants, but also against SHB (Small Hive Beetle) since it disrupts their lifecycle (the Diatomaceous soil actually rubs against and dehydrates both beetles and ants, so they tend to stay away from it.

Hope this helps :)
SueBee
Foraging Bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I do for ants, and it seems to work, although it might seem unconventional. I feed them. I make it easier for them to eat something other than my bees or bee sweets. With sugar ants, I set a small covered bowl of sugar with an ant entrance on their busiest trail. It takes a couple days, but suddenly all the ants are diverted and the problem is solved. If you want to kill the ants, you could probably add some borax to it.

For meat ants, I'd probably do the same.

Cinnamon also works, but you must keep reapplying it, and thickly!
Robert
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diatomaceous earth has worked very well for me. The ants will not cross over it in my experience. I had a problem with them getting into my chicken scratch and my bees so I keep it around my hives and feed bins and no more issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: