Please support Friends of the Bees to keep this forum free to use.

Natural Beekeeping International Forum
low-cost, low-impact, balanced beekeeping for everyone

Forum FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileYour Profile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Read The Rules before posting.

(country selected automatically - UK/USA/CA/AU)
Periscope Entrance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJJenkins
New Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Periscope Entrance Reply with quote

I have just installed a new colony of British black Bees into a top bar hive with bio floor and periscope entrance. Unfortunately the bees do not appear to want to use the periscope entrance and keep flying in and our from under the roof. They can do this as I have installed a feeder in one of the bar slots and this has an open top.
Bees installed in my earlier version of the top bar hive with the lower level standard three hole entrance are very happy with that design and have no issues with using the lover level hole entrance.
Has anyone else had issues with the periscope entrance?
stevecook172001
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a newcomer to bee-keeping and so am very much a novice. In terms of the horizontal top bar hive, I am less than even that since I have gone down the Warre route. However, it seems to me that a simple analysis leads to certain likely conclusions:

Bees, like any living creature, when faced with an easier option and a harder option to achieve a given end, will tend to, all other things being equal, take the easier option since this represents the most sensible economic choice.

Your bees have been given the option of two entrances and they have chosen, from their own economic perspective, the easier one of these.

None of the above necessarily means the periscope entrance is "bad" for the bees. Just that if you want them to exclusively use it, there must be no other option available to them that they would, all other things being equal, prefer.
B kind
Scout Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a beginner but I hear alarm bell ringing with the idea of a feeder that is accessible through the roof. This could attract robber bees and that would lead to more trouble. I read that feeders, when needed, are best tucked at the back of the hive so any robber bee would have to get in the entrance and past a whole colony before being able to rob.

I suggest close off access to the feeder from the roof area and keep an eye out that the hive is not being robbed.
I use periscope entrances and am very happy with them, well, the bees use them and seem very happy Wink

Kim
Manuel Robert
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems with my periscope entrances.
I agree with B kind that the feeder accessible from the outside may cause problems.
AugustC
Silver Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All top bars need to be in place with no access into the hive through the roof.
If you do have a top feeder, which I have successfully, there need to be no gaps large enough for bees to get out or more importantly to get in.

Why not just use your feeder alongside one of the follower boards in an adjoining hive cavity with top bars in place.
semiautonomous
Nurse Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a new beekeeper too but have had a little experience with the periscope entrance.

I recently split my first hive and moved the split into a new hive. The new hive has a periscope entrance and the first one didn't. The bees seemed to have trouble finding there way out through the periscope and spent all their time hunting around for every little gap in the topbars they could find. So what I did was remove the periscope part of the entrance leaving a open top entrance which they found easily. Then after a few days once they had got used to using it I put the periscope back on and within a few minutes and with a bit of fanning they had got the hang of it and are now happily using it with no problems.
Bleith
Guard Bee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New bee here. Tried the periscope entrance with 3 top holes and it seemed like a massive log jam of traffic. I had also drilled 3 lower holes and had them plugged with corks. I ended up removing the periscope, plugged upper holes and unplugged lower holes and it seemed to really free up space for them. Recently however, I actually removed the 3 upper corks as well because there just did not seem to be enough entrance and exit space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    beekeeping forum -> Beginners start here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: